Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Good wheel bearing brands for replacement???

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Question Good wheel bearing brands for replacement???

Does anyone know of a good brand bearing that I could get to replace my old ones? I happened to drive with no music on and noticed a howl sound. At first I thought my tires were unbalanced from the long road trips I've been taking about 1,200 miles one way (TX-NC and NC-TX). I got them balanced today and I could still hear them so I figure it's one of my wheel bearings. My car is lowered on coilovers and the rears are about -2.2 camber.

The fronts are almost neutral. I don't want to go with a cheap low quality brand of bearings. I learned my lesson from buying cheap CV Axles for this car when I had to replace them. I would like to avoid OEM ones because of the price but if anyone knows of a good aftermarket one and some advice when replacing one then by all means post away!
Old 12-27-2014, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know what's out there as I haven't looked, but for bearings in general, I would prefer to go with either Koyo or Timken. I know Koyo is OE equipment for this car in the transmission, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the current wheel bearing too.

Another thing I would suggest is rotating your tires and confirming that the sound is at the same wheel. I thought my bearing was going bad, but when I switched tries the sounds moved, meaning it was the tire itself.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bbsciontc
I don't know what's out there as I haven't looked, but for bearings in general, I would prefer to go with either Koyo or Timken. I know Koyo is OE equipment for this car in the transmission, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the current wheel bearing too.

Another thing I would suggest is rotating your tires and confirming that the sound is at the same wheel. I thought my bearing was going bad, but when I switched tries the sounds moved, meaning it was the tire itself.
I was actually looking into those two brands as well as NSK. I've heard many good things about Timken and no doubt about Koyo. I hear NSK is OE as well for a lot of other applications. I actually took it into the shop today and had one of the mechanics test drive it around and concluded it was my tires. Most likely the next rotation should do the trick. Thank goodness for that because I was not in the damn mood to replace bearings or hub assemblies. FAWK THAT! I always hated doing them.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

timkin is the best, a little pricy, but worth it
Old 04-19-2017, 03:44 PM

NAPA autoparts sells SKF brand... very good results with that one.