Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Grinding When Driving and Braking

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member

Default Grinding When Driving and Braking

Hello,

I have a 2005 Scion tC with a manual transmission and 34,000 miles. Recently I noticed that was getting a metal on metal sound when I'm driving and not applying the brakes. You can not hear it with the windows up but when you have the windows down and your in town near buildings you can really hear it when the sound bounces off the buildings. The sound also gets louder when I apply the brakes. I had the brakes checked when I got my car inspected about a month ago and they said my brakes were fine. I'm not really sure if I should have this checked or not but I know it's not normal. Any suggestions?
Old 06-18-2008, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the backing plates (the metal shield around the rotor) might be rubbing the rotor itself, just take a screwdriver or something long and push on them from the outside, and see if the noise goes away, if it doesn't, i wouldn't hurt to get it looked at to be safe
Old 06-19-2008, 05:15 AM
SL Member

I'm having the same problem. Its only when I first pull away after the cars been sittin for a bit
Old 06-19-2008, 05:21 AM
SL Member

I'm having the same problem. Its only when I first pull away after the cars been sittin for a bit
Old 06-19-2008, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if it happens after the car's been sitting a while, does it go away after a little bit of driving? if it does it might just be a little rust on the rotors from sitting, happens all the time in high humidity areas
Old 06-21-2008, 02:46 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by etoomey3
if it happens after the car's been sitting a while, does it go away after a little bit of driving? if it does it might just be a little rust on the rotors from sitting, happens all the time in high humidity areas
Well I get the noise that goes away after a little bit of driving. I know that is rust on my rotors. This know sounds like everytime one wheel turns it catches a piece of metal. Sorta like "tick, tick, tick" over and over again as the wheel spins. Then when I hit the brakes it sounds like metal on metal. But what boggles my mind is the mechanic just said the brakes were fine.