Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Hand Brake Adjustment ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Hand Brake Adjustment ?

I have about 107K on my tC (2005) and notice the my hand brake goes up to 14 clicks. I read somewhere that it should be 6-9 clicks. My wife was recently driving it and she had parked it on a hill. When she came back from the store, the car had rolled down the hill !! The hand brake was engaged but not sure if it was all the way. It is a stick shift so hand brake is important !

Has anybody looked into this and had their hand brake adjusted ? i presume that if it was adjusted back to 6-9 clicks than it should be good. Not sure what the adjustment entails or the normal recommendation for *servicing* a hand brake ?
Old 12-01-2017, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by icestorm
I have about 107K on my tC (2005) and notice the my hand brake goes up to 14 clicks. I read somewhere that it should be 6-9 clicks. My wife was recently driving it and she had parked it on a hill. When she came back from the store, the car had rolled down the hill !! The hand brake was engaged but not sure if it was all the way. It is a stick shift so hand brake is important !

Has anybody looked into this and had their hand brake adjusted ? i presume that if it was adjusted back to 6-9 clicks than it should be good. Not sure what the adjustment entails or the normal recommendation for *servicing* a hand brake ?
hey icestorm! sorry for the delay, I can't believe no one answered you!

it's probably one of two things. the first is the parking brake shoes in the "top hat" area of the rear disc brakes, they might need to be adjusted via the star adjuster since they're not self-adjusting. Can make that tighter..

And if that is already as tight as it can go without dragging, then the parking brake cable itself has stretched over time, 12 years in this case, and it needs to be re-tensioned by taking off the center console and tightening up the adjustment nut on the cable. I know that it was talked about a lot on this site way back in the day, so you can search for that, I think someone had a DIY..

but it's one or both of those things causing the parking brake to become loose/ineffective. Sorry it rolled down the hill!! Hope it didn't hit anything!