Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Brake Fluid Replacement method?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Red face Brake Fluid Replacement method?

When replacing the old brake fluid with new fluid in the system, what method is the correct way to replace the brake fluid?

Also...
What is the brake fluid capacity of the tC? I am going to be flushing the brake system's fluid and need to know how much fluid I'll have to buy. Let me know...

Last edited by sciontc_mich; 08-17-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:14 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...edbrakes.shtml

youtube has some videos too

Good luck man its pretty easy
Old 08-18-2009, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

awesome, i forgot about stoptech! thanks! Yes that tells me everything I needed to know, service manual was close, but it didn't say how much fluid the brake system holds. Yeah after bleeding my brakes I figured keep going and replace all the fluid, since it was easy to bleed them.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:43 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by NurSpec
Bleeding Brakes

youtube has some videos too

Good luck man its pretty easy
I needed to bleed my 07 Scion tC but I didn't understand how to do it this thought me a lot since I read it..thanks man..

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-03-2017 at 04:02 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-01-2017, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

to update my own thread from years ago...

there is nothing special about bleeding the tC's brake system. The ABS does not interfere at all and does not need any special tools like other cars..

Tools needed
8mm wrench
clear vinyl hose
DOT 3 Toyota brand fluid (about 4-5 pints)
Clear glass jar.
Piece of wood 2x4 about 8inches long taped to carpeting behind brake pedal.

you get a clear vinyl hose, I think it's a 7/32 X 5/32 but will have to double check that measurement. You slide 8mm wrench over bleeder screw, then slide clear vinyl hose over the nipple of the bleeder screw on the caliper. On the other end of the clear vinyl hose you insert it into a clear glass jar, like a clean apple sauce jar.

You make sure while you're bleeding the brake system that you NEVER let the master cylinder go dry! Or you'll have to bleed that, why make more work for yourself?!

Then have someone pump the brake pedal 3-4 times and hold it. Then slowly open the bleeder screw, fluid will come out into the jar. The person helping will feel the pedal sink towards the floor and hit the wood. The wood is there so that the master cylinder piston does not travel further than it normally does when braking. Because there is a chance if you go beyond the normal travel, the seals on the master cylinder piston can rupture/rip. Don't want that.. so that's why you use the wood block.

Now, after the fluid stops coming out, gently snug (not tight) the bleeder screw and tell the helper to release the brake pedal. You keep doing this til the brake fluid color changes (if replacing old fluid) and that all the bubbles are gone (why you're using a clear vinyl hose).

The sequence of bleeding is Right Rear, Left Rear, Right Front, Left Front. In that order, always start with the position at the greatest distance away from the master cylinder. on the tc it's the right rear.

Also.. I have no idea what aftermarket brake fluid contains. There were service bulletins out a couple years ago from honda and toyota. The Toyota brand contains extra friction modifiers that helped keep the seals in the master cylinder pliable. The aftermarket did not have these extra ingredients and it would/could ruin the master cylinder. It's not a commercial for Toyota fluid, it was a real issue.

And when you go to the dealer to get the DOT 3 brake fluid it's pretty much the same price as stuff from the auto parts store anyway.. again why make more work for yourself.