Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

HELP!! Suspension Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 08:24 AM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

Default HELP!! Suspension Noise

Not too long ago, I noticed an annoying clunking coming from rear end. I assumed bad struts as I put 100k on stocks. Replaced all 4 with Tokico HP's and decided to throw in Tein S-Techs. The clunking is still there, seems primarily when the body 'twists' as opposed to just going over bumps. Any suggestions?

Last edited by smead420; 04-26-2010 at 02:13 AM.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

Maybe the swaybar bushings?
Old 04-25-2010, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

check the sway bar end link nuts to be sure they are tight. i've seen them wiggle loose when not tightened properly.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sure your not confusing the noise with noise the glass roof makes when it flexes? Also, the rear tail gate moving especially with the install of a stiffer suspension.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

the problem i had with mine awhile back was one of the bushings for the swaybar popped off and the sway bar was rubbing on something making a loud thud sound.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

I found the source.. It's coming from the sway bar, either bushings or end links as you guys suggested. Got underneath the car and started trying to shake things, found the sway bar had a little play on driver side. I'll try to tighten it tomorrow after work, but I'm ordering new sway bar this week anyway. Prolly gonna go with Progress, any input?

Thanks for the help..
Old 04-26-2010, 06:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For just a rear sway swap, progress is fine as well as TRD. Progress comes with new end links (though I'm not sure why) and I don't think they are that much more so it's up to you ultimately. Performance wise, I don't think there is a noticeable difference between the two. I run Hotchkis F+R but the other tc's i've driven with just the TRD rear felt good too.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:43 AM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

I was leaning toward Progress because it comes with end links, figure I might as well replace/upgrade as much as I can. Over 100k and things are rusty down there.. I do like Hotchkis, but its just a daily driver, so the front is prolly unnecessary and figure I can save a lil $. Anyone know how much stiffer the Progress is? I know Hotchkis is up to 300% stiffer than stock, but I can't find anything about the Progress stiffness..
Old 06-05-2010, 09:47 PM

Sorry to dredge up an old post but this is driving me crazy. I've got the same noise. Only happens with the rear suspension sees lateral load and flexes some. Clunk is distinct, annoying, and repeating as the suspension bounces.

I have a Hotchkis rear sway on there. I have adjusted it to each position to try to alleviate the noise. I have tightened it down as tight as I can, and the area is too tight to get my impact wrench in there. The noise is lessened when this happens, but it is still very present.

I'm about to pull the sway out. Unless there's some fix that I don't know about.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 06-05-2010, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

What shocks/springs and how many miles on them?

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2010, 03:56 PM

I put the sway on with stock suspension, then I ran H&R coilovers for about 15k, and then switched back to stock...all the while the clunking remained. This is definitely a sway issue. For example if I go over a speedbump as usually, as the car jostles I hear ca-clunk ca-clunk ca-clunk. BUT, if I really pay attention and make the wheels hit the bump at the same time for the front and back, no clunking.

So it seems that in the rear of the car whenever there is a side to side displacement of the springs, the sway lets itself be heard.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm pretty sure the sway bar bushing brackets are not torqued tight enough. following the trd rsb instructions, your suppose to tighten bushing brackets to 32 ft lbs. the end-links should be tighten to 25 ft lbs fyi. the problem is that the bushing brackets have a slightly larger diameter holes compared to the diameter of the bolts used so if the bracket isn't completely tight, i suspect that the bracket is moving up and down against the bolts creating the clunking noise.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the squeaking in my rear suspension too. It only seems to happen when I go over speed bumps. I figured it was just the bushings and they needed to break in, but it's been a while and it still makes the sound. Took it to the dealership and they couldn't figure what it was but replaced the FRONT strut braces and supposedly they greased everything at some point. It is highly annoying. Something similarly related: my tC came from the factory without its struts bolted on and I had the clunking and I unknowingly drove around for about a week like that. Could the squeaking be something related to that? I've gotten under there myself and couldn't visibly see that anything was loose and I don't have a lift to put it on for a better look.