Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Knocking feeling in my steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 04:23 PM

Question Knocking feeling in my steering wheel

Hey everyone,

I am having some issues with my steering wheel. I feeling almost like a knocking feeling only when I make left hand turns. I've had work done in my front end a couple of years ago that included replacement of upper and lower control arms. I took it to the dealer several times complaining about it but they said that they couldn't feel it. I don't trust them. I trust my own instinct. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what it might be.

Thanks!
Old 04-10-2014, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Welcome to the club of Toyota's denial. There are several of us now popping (excuse the pun) up with this issue that only Toyota techs can't see feel or hear.

Keep this thread alive. I bet some day this will be a recall to NTSB item....

BTW, yes, I have the same issue. It showed up on my 2010 tc ay 45k. It comes and goes, but mostly stays.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

upper control arms in the front of the tC? there aren't any.. it's a macpherson strut setup, the upper control arm is the shock tower.

popping noise, you should check the sticky (FAQ) for my post about tightening the nuts/bolts on the chassis. That definitely would cause noises, Toyota did warn of this in the manual to "Check, tighten nuts/bolts on chassis". Most ignored this as it was under the "driving on dirt roads", but they didn't use locking nuts on a lot of the suspension bolts, they do loosen over time! Other noises would be bad axles, cv joints, check the strut mounting nuts making sure they're tight.