Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Need a test subject for Porsche Brembos, in Socal, San Diego

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member

Default Need a test subject for Porsche Brembos, in Socal, San Diego

I've been asking around and finally got to making a big brake kit for the Tc, will have 12.3 inch rotors and Brembos off a Boxster The kit is days from being completed, if anyone has some time to do a mock up with me, for picture and fitment purposes, I would really appreciate it, give me a call (210) 413-3450 It will look alot like the pics posted, thanks

Old 03-21-2006, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wait.. you're fitting Porsche brakes on a tc? they fit? any special adapters? anything in it for the people helping?
Old 03-21-2006, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member

They are made to fit by means of a steel bracket I have machined, the person who works with me will get a very good deal on a setup, [/quote]
Old 03-21-2006, 12:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

you probably don't wana a stocker.. but out of curiosity, when and how long would it take?
Old 03-21-2006, 12:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wait.. you're fitting Porsche brakes on a tc? they fit? any special adapters? anything in it for the people helping?
That is the primary issue with fitting calipers to a car it wasnt designed for. Prosche brakes often get fitted to other cars with less than stellar performance. They do look nicer than stock calipers, but due to the mid/rear engine design of the Porsches, the front brake torque output can be dangerously low for a front engine car which has much more dramatic weight transfer. This introduced rear brake bias will not only lead to increased stopping distances, but snap oversteer situations where the rear brakes go to lock before the fronts and throw the car into a spin. This is not often a issue under straight line braking but applying the brakes in any kind of turn or in wet situations (when braking can be lead to problems anyway) can lead to even more dangerous situations.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Damn that is a nice idea too bad I'm located far away in Puerto Rico!
Old 03-21-2006, 01:10 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Instigator
That is the primary issue with fitting calipers to a car it wasnt designed for. Prosche brakes often get fitted to other cars with less than stellar performance. They do look nicer than stock calipers, but due to the mid/rear engine design of the Porsches, the front brake torque output can be dangerously low for a front engine car which has much more dramatic weight transfer. This introduced rear brake bias will not only lead to increased stopping distances, but snap oversteer situations where the rear brakes go to lock before the fronts and throw the car into a spin. This is not often a issue under straight line braking but applying the brakes in any kind of turn or in wet situations (when braking can be lead to problems anyway) can lead to even more dangerous situations.
Your name fits you well, where did you source this information, since so many companies make these upgrade kits with no similiar problems?
Old 03-21-2006, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ He works for Stoptech, bro
Old 03-21-2006, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol
Old 03-21-2006, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by EnderSavesTheDay
^^^ He works for Stoptech, bro

You beat me 2 it. Yea, he is a Stoptech brake consultant.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Originally Posted by screwedrado
Your name fits you well, where did you source this information, since so many companies make these upgrade kits with no similiar problems?
Wow. If I were you, I'd lurk and read a LOT before posting something that stupid.

Scott
Old 03-21-2006, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Arent Porsche calipers and rotors made by Brembo? So wouldnt it be the same as having a kit from Brembo? (provided these brackets fit well) like their Gran Turismo kit? Big brake kits are more of a show mod anyway.

My friend fabricated caliper carriers/brackets to fit Porsche calipers his VW GTI (with larger rotors for an Audi TT). Did not negatively affect performance, but his car is a daily driver/show car.

What rotors are you using? Drilled Porsche units?
Old 03-21-2006, 03:00 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by HKSpeed
Arent Porsche calipers and rotors made by Brembo? So wouldnt it be the same as having a kit from Brembo? (provided these brackets fit well) like their Gran Turismo kit? Big brake kits are more of a show mod anyway.

My friend fabricated caliper carriers/brackets to fit Porsche calipers his VW GTI (with larger rotors for an Audi TT). Did not negatively affect performance, but his car is a daily driver/show car.

What rotors are you using? Drilled Porsche units?
It is the same thing as having a kit from brembo, unfortunately the competition has shown its face, I'm using a 12.3 in rotor made by brembo, crossdrilled, but may use zimmerman to keep the pricing reasonable
Old 03-21-2006, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is the same thing as having a kit from brembo...
Sorry, but what you are offering is by no means the same as a Brembo kit. The OEM side of Brembo is not affiliated with the performance aftermarket division and the Porsche calipers are not the same as those they offer in their Gran Turismo brake kits. Also the Brembo kit for the tC offers a 328x28mm (12.9") fully floating 2 piece rotor which you are not using which is one of the primary reasons to go with a true big brake kit upgrade. I will go on record as supporting Brembo in that the kits they offer are all of top notch quality and made to exacting standards. I am not trying to insult you, but your production methods and materials are unknown and you have not provided any information about you past experiences in the area.

We are well aware of the companies that do offer porsche caliper and "big red" upgrade options since so many of their users end up calling us after being disappointed by their performance and looking for a kit that offers more than appearance and marginal increases in heat capacity.

The Porsche calipers are of excellent quality and they will look nice behind the wheels, but they are simply not designed for a front engine car and are not sized to work properly with the tC's master cylinder or weight transfer characteristics. The bottom line that you are nt offering a Brembo BBK, but a Porsche caliper bolt on with a modified Porsche rotor.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:44 AM
5 Year Member

I appreciate your comments, but please stay off my thread and keep your comments to yourself, thanks, already spoke to a gentleman that is willing to do a test fit and look forward to bringing new product to the arena, something that is more reasonably priced
Old 03-21-2006, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

PWNED!!!
Old 03-21-2006, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by screwedrado
I appreciate your comments, but please stay off my thread and keep your comments to yourself, thanks, already spoke to a gentleman that is willing to do a test fit and look forward to bringing new product to the arena, something that is more reasonably priced
Stay off your thread? This is what a forum is created for. Every single user on here has negative and positve opinions. Also, what exactly is your backround in dealing with brakes?

" The_Instigator " is just offering information explaining why your project will not work, and it is logical. If you plan on selling something to anytype of consumer, you must know how to accept critisism, and not be so defensive ALL the time.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn...^^^+1 ...
Old 03-21-2006, 06:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i see a hissy fit in the near future....hmmmm
Old 03-21-2006, 07:24 AM
10 Year Member