Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Newbie Brake Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member

Default Newbie Brake Help

OK right up front..I know little to nothing about cars since I was married to a mechanic. So now, no more mechanic and here I am hoping you all can help me with this bizarre problem.

Lots and lots of snow here in OH lately. Going to work I unknowingly turn down an unplowed street. I couldn't turn back, so found myself literally trying to stay within these ruts with the undercarriage of the car hitting high packed snow. The street was downhill so the whole time I put the car in first so I wasn't riding the brakes.

I was finally able to turn onto a somewhat plowed street and I drive about 5 yards and hear this horrible sound coming from my right back brake area..loud clunking noises then these screeches. I'm thinking something is really wrong and I've lost the muffler, somethings draggin on the ground..god knows what. So I stop, look underneath..can't see anything wrong. Start to drive and it's worse. So not knowing what to do, I just continue driving hoping it'll all go away or I can get to a shop before the car falls apart. I'm not even putting my foot on the brake and it's making horrendous noise. My brakes didn't seem affected as they seemed to stop just fine during this whole time.

Miracles happen and the car stops making this noise after about five minutes (???)and I drive home, put it in garage and thank the car gods that I made it. Pull the car out next morning and when I'm reversing and braking I hear this little screech, clunk etc..going forward though no problem.

So I drive it to the nearest shop and leave it overnight; the owner said he'd check it out tomorrow. So far, I've been very very lucky with my 05 tc...only issue was brake replacement last March and new tires. I don't want to get taken at this place and I don't even know why I am saying that...just wanted some input from people who know a heck of alot more about cars than I do.

So in other words, can driving through hard packed deep snow cause noise coming from rear right brake area?

Thanks much......
Old 02-13-2010, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

parking brake cable possibly broken? or a wear indicator (theyre little metal clips on the sides of the pad) has broken loose... any more details on the noise? any change in feel at all?
Old 02-13-2010, 02:25 AM
5 Year Member

Well I know what abs feels/sounds like and that's not the clunk/squeeling noise. There wasn't any kind of strange feel to the brake pad either.

I've been searching the forums and came across this link: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...ht=snow+brakes
and this sounds exactly like what happened to me.

Sorry don't know what an ss line is. Would it be a brake issue so soon after replacing both front & rear pads/rotors? I don't drive with my foot on the brake and I'm not usually pounding on them either when I stop.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it may have nothing to do with the brakes... stock sway bar can be broken... Tie rod may be messed upp.. Clunking noises make me point the Sway bar.. But thats me just guessing... take some pics any would help... there actually a metal guard around the rotor maybe thats pushed on the rotor?? theres alot of anwsers it could be
Old 02-13-2010, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

working/building a lot of cars myself over the years... I'd have to initially tend to side with CSUnited there....
Could've broken/knocked something loose... possibly with the brakes..it all depends..and is hard to say without a good visual inspection.

A lot of people don't realize how much pressure/force can be put upon a car and/or some of it's parts by snow.

If I were you, I'd take it by either your dealer or a reputable shop in the area that can put it up on a rack and give it a good inspection to make sure something isn't damaged/broken that could cause more dangers down the road if left unattended/fixed.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:51 AM

Possibly the hub bearing? I slammed into a curb in the snow before and after that when I braked it would start making some clunking noise too..
Old 02-13-2010, 04:52 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I was about to say the same thing about the bearing, which is really no big deal to have replaced.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:05 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks and I'll let you know what repairs are suggested, if any. Hopefully it will be something easy and inexpensive to fix.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Fingers crossed for you.. Keep us updated it will help us in the future diagnose whats wrong with someones car :D
Old 02-13-2010, 12:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yep, this is one of the cases to have the car up on the lift to inspect the problem, but gl with the car hope its nothing big.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member

Checking in to let you know it turned out to be the "backing plate" on the right rear brake. All caused by the intense contact/force/pressure of the packed snow. A little adjustment and it was fixed...no noises and no issues now.

Plus I found a new mechanic shop just around the corner.

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

score I guessed that haha