Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

oem brake help

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default oem brake help

for some time now on my '06 TC, I question the dealer saying that my brakes are fine, but i have this problem. Whenever i park on a hill or even a slightly slanted hill and use my e-brake, my brakes make a grinding noise and my car abrubtly rolls a little. The noise sounds like if you have the e-brake up and try to start rolling, it makes that grinding noise. This happen about a year and a half after i bought the car brand new. Any ideas?
Old 07-08-2009, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm id say check your pads? make sure there is good life on em...but a lot of the time a grinding sound is because of the rotors. may be worn out time for some new ones?
Old 07-08-2009, 09:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: oem brake help

Originally Posted by Sciontized
for some time now on my '06 TC, I question the dealer saying that my brakes are fine, but i have this problem. Whenever i park on a hill or even a slightly slanted hill and use my e-brake, my brakes make a grinding noise and my car abrubtly rolls a little. The noise sounds like if you have the e-brake up and try to start rolling, it makes that grinding noise. This happen about a year and a half after i bought the car brand new. Any ideas?
sounds like your e-brake isn't adjusted tight enough for the 6-9 clicks when you pull up on it for it to stop the car from rolling. The e-brake at the rear brakes needs to have 1-3 more clicks applied to them from where they are adjusted now.

But the safest is to do a search on how to adjust them, do NOT adjust the e-brake at the handle, ALWAYS adjust it at the rear brakes.

Dealer obviously is being lazy giving you the old tired line of "it's okay"..
Old 07-15-2009, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 06scionbhs
hmm id say check your pads? make sure there is good life on em...but a lot of the time a grinding sound is because of the rotors. may be worn out time for some new ones?
Not bashing you but pads and rotors have nothing to do with the e-brake. The e-brake style for tc's are drum in hat, which means there is a small drum brake inside the hat of the rotor, that is there strictly for the parking brake. You should do major adjustments at the assembly itself (I believe the rotors have to be removed) but fine tuning can be done at the e-brake handle. ( I dont know if you can adjust the e-brake at the handle of the tc or not, to be honest). If you need help adjusting the e-brake and the dealer refuses to do it unless you pay, pm me and I'll see if I can't help you out.