Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Quality issue with TRD springs??????

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Quality issue with TRD springs??????

I just got back from my dealer tonight and asked them about ordering my tC with the TRD srpings. The salesman came back from the parts department saying that they can't get the springs right now due to a quality control issue with them. Has anyone else heard about this? The salesman said it was from people complaining about the ride after installing the springs. We both kinda laughed at this seeing as buying lowering springs pretty much garuntees you won't have as plush a ride.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Weird -- sounds like BS. You already do all your paperwork? I could see an unmotivated salesman just give you that line 'cause he didn't want to re-do it.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by lebshiff21
Weird -- sounds like BS. You already do all your paperwork? I could see an unmotivated salesman just give you that line 'cause he didn't want to re-do it.
I second that....

also, the TRD springs are an aftermarket part, they don't get installed at port and would need to be specifically ordered by the dealer and they will undoubltably rape you on installation prices because it's such a time-comsuming job - do not - I repeat - do NOT get suspension mods from the dealer... they are considered a wear and tear part so they aren't covered under warranty unless they malfunction anyways (the shocks that is) - have them do your alignment after you have the parts installed so if you get uneven wear on your tires BECAUSE of your suspension you installed elsewhere you can say "it doesn't matter what I put on because YOU GUYS did the alignment and the alignment is what caused the problem, I was told by YOU my alignment was perfect"
Old 01-09-2005, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Otocan,

Thats a good idea of having them do the alignment afterwards. I will probably just order the springs when springs hits and install them at home. I also don't think it was because the dealer was lazy, he hadn't done the paperwork yet. It was really odd.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only thing I can complain about them is that the drop seems uneven from the front and back, and even the driver and passenger. There's been some threads about this.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm.... Maybe thats why my dealership couldnt order them, TRD finally realized the drop not looking right?

Thanks for the input
Old 01-11-2005, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I doubt it has anything to do with quality control... i doubt that salesman even keeps track of any accessory quality.

Having been in teh car business before, my best guess would be that the salesman for whatever reason fed u a line of bs. Perhaps because his parts dept doesnt like to deal with trd products or because he or his manager didnt want to deal with ordering/installing of extra parts. So he probably made that ____ up to try n sell u the car as is.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the drop is uneven on all four corners then there's definately some QC problem going on there.. It doesn't help matters that TRD relabel and resells other companies' parts.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

We haven't heard of any Quality problems with the TRD springs sounds like a line from the salesman.
I just spoke to the TRD Rep if anyone would know he would .
TRD does use outside vendor's to manufacture parts to their spec.'s they don't just re-label parts . Some items are made on site some are not . This is common practice with all manufactures including Toyota , Scion or even Mercedes Benz who has elec. components made by Toyota/Nippondenso .
You will find the same to be true with performance vendors as well they will do the engineering /R&D for a item then out source the production to their spec.'s.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank you for checking on that for me. Now that I know that the springs are good, I will be placing an order with you in a few days when my car comes in. Thanks again.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mcgeorgeparts
We haven't heard of any Quality problems with the TRD springs sounds like a line from the salesman.
I just spoke to the TRD Rep if anyone would know he would .
TRD does use outside vendor's to manufacture parts to their spec.'s they don't just re-label parts . Some items are made on site some are not . This is common practice with all manufactures including Toyota , Scion or even Mercedes Benz who has elec. components made by Toyota/Nippondenso .
You will find the same to be true with performance vendors as well they will do the engineering /R&D for a item then out source the production to their spec.'s.
Thank you for the clarification!!!

i see so many people jump to conclusions on this site... From my experience, i've read about people having problems with uneven drops for almost every single spring manufacturer out there.... most of the time due to improper installation. The case in my experience has been that most springs released by the companies like trd, neuspeed, eibach, H&R are pretty damn good quality and 95% will have zero complaints.

I think its important to give a certain degree of credit to these companies.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mcgeorgeparts
TRD does use outside vendor's to manufacture parts to their spec.'s they don't just re-label parts
Must have changed recently.. Their springs, FPR, Rims, stainless steel brake lines for the MR2 Turbo are all sold by their respective vendors, TRD just puts their logo in place of theirs and marks them up ~20% or so.

-dp
Old 01-17-2005, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nah, TRD does a good deal of R&D with the different vendors until they get what they want from the part... the part's typically have different specs then anything else on the market. Since you are or were a MR2 owner, look at the spring rates for the TRD springs and then try to match it up with anything out there. It doesn't.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

funny....my TRD springs were put on at port....how do I know you may ask...well i was there when the truch arrived with my car
Old 01-17-2005, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by IndigoDreams
funny....my TRD springs were put on at port....how do I know you may ask...well i was there when the truch arrived with my car
wow thats interesting... i never heard of any of the tC's comin into the dealerships with teh springs already put in...

I'm curious... are you sure it came straight from port and didn't get dealer traded to the location you bought it from? Perhaps it could have been put on at a different dealership before being traded to your dealership for purchase. One way to tell is probably lookin at the original factory sticker that came on your car. it should have printed all the options installed at factory and what dealership it was originally intended for. THis is the large window size sticker that should have been on the passenger window at delivery.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:37 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Quality issue with TRD springs??????

Originally Posted by TKE_BH964
I just got back from my dealer tonight and asked them about ordering my tC with the TRD srpings. The salesman came back from the parts department saying that they can't get the springs right now due to a quality control issue with them. Has anyone else heard about this? The salesman said it was from people complaining about the ride after installing the springs. We both kinda laughed at this seeing as buying lowering springs pretty much garuntees you won't have as plush a ride.
I wish you would send this guys name, Dealer name, and phone number to TRD along with his statement about the "problem". They'd just love to talk to this clown and his boss. There's no problem with the springs.

ken
Old 01-19-2005, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Quality issue with TRD springs??????

Originally Posted by Sparks Scion TRD Parts
I wish you would send this guys name, Dealer name, and phone number to TRD along with his statement about the "problem". They'd just love to talk to this clown and his boss. There's no problem with the springs.

ken
lol

if you really wanna get the dood in trouble, i'd get a hold of toyota corporate's customer service/satisfaction dept number. CSI scores are a pretty big deal to a dealership and that'd probably yield more results than trd reps.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:16 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default springs

lol

He's probably got enough trouble just being him. I just really wanted to reply to the dumb rumor he started. OK, I think I'm done now.

Ken
Old 01-22-2005, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Otocan,

Thats a good idea of having them do the alignment afterwards. I will probably just order the springs when springs hits and install them at home. I also don't think it was because the dealer was lazy, he hadn't done the paperwork yet. It was really odd.
don't wait for spring. the car handles much better when lowered which helps during crappy weather.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

Originally Posted by Otocan
they are considered a wear and tear part so they aren't covered under warranty unless they malfunction
I was told by the dealership here that any aftermarket items such as the trd springs or shocks etc purchased and installed at Toyota/Scion are covered under your warrenty...

Quick Reply: Quality issue with TRD springs??????