Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Questions about a Clicking Sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 06:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Default Questions about a Clicking Sound

ok, so i installed my hotchkis springs about a month ago (the concern has nothing to do with the springs they are great. im just questioning my install), and i noticed when i first got them on that there was "clicking" sound, like it sounded like something was loose, so i jacked up the car and sure enough my sway bar (stock) was not 100% tight, infact it was probly about 60% tight, so i tightened it. but now (about 3 weeks later) the sound is back. so i jacked it up again and the sway bar was still 100% tight. i checked the back too. but its only coming from the passengers side. and the sound only occurs when i go over bumps. it does not come up when i take a hard turn (which i try to avoid cuz that sound is very intimidating, actually its terrifying haha). does anyone know if anything else could be loose, besides the sway bars? also to clearify the sound, it sounds like metal against metal. at first i thought that it could be my wheel hitting the car or somethin like that, but my roommate said it sounded like metal against metal. and im just kinda worried that somethin bad could result in this. im gonna take everything apart this weekend, and not do a lot of driving this week, but i just wanted to go to work on my car knowing what i was looking for. thanks, and sorry for the long post
Old 03-06-2006, 12:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Could be that the spring is not setting in it's seat correctly. They need to be just right in order to function correctly, so if the spring is rotated just a little bit, you might get that sound. Especially over bumps.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

its not that, i made sure that the springs sat in the correct spot, but thanks ill double check that this weekend when i take it all apart,
Old 03-10-2006, 10:38 AM
5 Year Member

ya i got the same thing i thing it is either the top three mounting bolts arn't tight enough or the top strut bolt isnt tight if you find out let me know
Old 03-16-2006, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Same exact thing happened to me with my new gold line springs. And it was only the passenger side. It's the top center strut bolt. Just pop the hood, pop up the big plastic piece that's covering the top of the strut, and pop off that little rubber center piece, and crank down on that big ol center bolt. and do it quick, cuz by the time I realized what it was that was making the noise, the damn thing was almost all the way off.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We had something like this installing my g/fs springs last weekend. Turned out to be the end link bolt on the front wasn't tightened all the way so it was clunking a little bit.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

yea i got mine all set, it was the swaybar link and the top. but i took the whole assembly appart, lined everything up, and put it back together. took about 20 min and havent had a clicking sound since (that was monday)