Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Quick Struts - FIXED!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 03:34 AM
SL Member

Default Quick Struts - FIXED!!

Bought some quick strus off Amazon last july and installed them. From the beginning the clucked. Contacted seller and they sent m another pair. Mount had play in it and I did not want to waste time instaling them. Seller sent me ANOTHER pair that seemed better but by not I was weary to install them, Decided to live with the clunking over the winter. In that time I bought some KYB struts and bearing mounts from Rock Auto. Had a 2nd set of struts from the Amazon seller that I could get everything else (bump stop, boot, upper spring perch) Took the Amazon strut apart but thought maybe I should find a diagram of the OEM strut to be sure nothing is missing before I proceed. Sure enough, the amazon quick struts are missing a felt bushing between the top spring perch and bearing mount. You can see it in the diagram below. (part 48603C)

https://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/sho...rimLevel=18276

Got a pair from the dealership, included them in the reassembly of the struts and now there is zero play in the mount. Put them on the car tonight. Rattle is gone!!!! I am stocked after months of rattling. Just need to get an alignment tomorrow. The quick struts actually prob would have been just fine if they had the bushing.

The icing on the cake....I sent a message to the Amazon seller as an FYI their parts are missing this bushing, Did not expect anything since I bought them in July 2018, just maybe it would help the next person if they fix the issue. They said they would send it to their quality control and get back to me. I guess they went and took one apart because they came back a week later and said in fact they are not assemble with that bushing. Because of this they made an exception for me and agreed to to accept a return on the front struts!! So it all seemed to have worked out in the end.

Just and FYI, before I bought the KYBs I went to Autozone to check out their Gabriel quick struts and they had play in the mounts too. Prob assembledthe same way without the bushing. FYI if looking at quick struts,