Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Rear brake upgrade idea

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 07:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Rear brake upgrade idea

This is something that I recently thought about. The guys from stoptech have made the best BBK which they only sell for the front.

My idea:
Would it be worth it, or even possible, for a company like Stoptech to make a bracket for the rear so the front rotors and calipers can be used on the rear? I think this would give a better look without going into overkill. Offer a kit where you get the BBK and the bracket to transfer front brakes to the rear. For those who have a front BBK or want to go budget, offer just the bracket so the person can get new calipers and rotors from autozone and such.

I know that this would require testing and maybe a proportioning valve. My thought is it would be easier and would be least likely to be overkill for the rear.

Thoughts, ideas, information welcome.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

search

power slot plus

they already make affordable big brake kit that utilizes your stock caliper with oversize rotors for front and rear.

heres the link to SS sale thread

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...asc&highlight=
Old 04-09-2006, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Stoptech rear Big Brake Kit

Personally, I would take stoptech's recommendation for a tC and only use a BBK on the front while changing the rotors and pads on the rear.

I won't argue the fact that this will not look cool, but if thats what stoptech recommends, then thats probably the best setup they offer. Those guys are the brake gods.

Try giving them a call or shooting them an email and asking them directly why they don't offer a rear BBK on the website.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We dont offer a rear kit for the tC for a variety of reasons. There is little if any performance to be gained by adding a rear kit since our front only kit is already tweaked to offer the optimal brake balance with the stock rear setup. There would be the obvious appearance benefit of adding a rear kit along with further improved pedal feel and better pad selection, but the cost of the kit will seriously be a sticking point since it would cost more than a front kit. In order to keep the parking brake housed in the the hub portion of the rear rotor, a lot of material must be wasted to machine the drum section and it takes a long time to produce on the CNC machines. Also the 2 piston rear caliper is solid billet at the moment which also adds a lot of machine time which adds a lot of cost to the parts.

I would not recommend using the powerslot big rotor upgrade on the rear with our BBK up front since we already dial in some rear bias by adjusting the pisotn sizes in our front calipers. By using the larger rear rotor, the rear torque is increased which will shift even mroe bias to the rear possibly causing sanp oversteer under braking where the rear brakes tend to lock up before the fronts which can be very dangerous in wet conditions or in curvy roads like freeway onramps.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You cannot adapt the front rotors to the rear without losing the parking brake and the front calipers are far to aggressive for the rear, save your time and look elsewhere.

Ask yourself this as well, are you looking for performance or looks, what is more important to you.

Then figure out what you really want to spend.

Larger rear brakes are just not needed on the tC, if they were, we would have them on ours already. Instead, we upgraded the rotors, pads and lines and called it good as it is even more than really needed.

Also, the brakes will not look as small if you chose real performance wheels instead of oversized ones like many do.

Rick
Old 04-10-2006, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It was just a thought I had and I figured the e-brake would screw it up.

LOL, make bigger rotors with large calipers, but put in small pistons so it doesn't brake harder than stock.

I wanted to throw this out there and figured on a forum the information will be there in case any one else thinks this up. I do not see anything wrong with making the rear discs look better while keeping the best stopping distance. Nothing wrong with being show and road race ready.

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounding better now but honestly, even track days are not going to be a problem for the rear brakes unless you do some very serious mods and have tires grippy enough to heat up the rear brakes all that much.

More weight will effect handling alot more than most realize.

The larger diameter rotors may disapate more heat but it will take more heat generation to slow them down as well, more mass, more momentum.

Our front brakes are totally unneeded for all but track days and maybe not really for that but they are partly for show and did not add more weight. But, they did move some mass out further which does give it more leverage, takes a bi tmore heat to slow it down.

Heat, that is what stops the car, why I mentioned it so much

Rick
Old 04-10-2006, 04:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when i get my stoptech BBK i was just planing to replace the rear rotor with a sloted one of the same size, and paint the caliper the same color as the BBK so it would look upgraded but not really. Maybe thats what you should do shogun...
Old 04-10-2006, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is what we did and our ideas were exactly what the Wilwood engineer suggested. (I had already ordered the rotors, lines and painted the calipers black

Rick
Old 04-10-2006, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sensay
when i got my stoptech BBK i was just planing to replace the rear rotor with a sloted one of the same size, and paint the caliper the same color as the BBK so it would look upgraded but not really. Maybe thats what you should do shogun...
Thats what I have on my car. Our SportStop direct replacement rotors with Axxis Ultimate pads and our SS lines with black painted calipers. Rounds out the performance and helps to carry the look of the front kit to the rear of the car with the matching slotting pattern. Having the Axxis Ultimates in the rear also helped to reduce the amount of front brake dust since the it balances out the front to rear brake torque..although I have more rear brake dust now though.