Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Reliability of TRD Shocks vs. OEM Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

Default Reliability of TRD Shocks vs. OEM Shocks

Just wondering what you guys recommend. I seem to keep reading these stories about the TRD shocks getting blown, so it makes me wonder if they are pieces of trash like the 05-06 TRD supercharger? See profile for suspension mods. If it's as bad as it seems, I'll just stay on my OEM stock shocks. But I wanted to do this and the TRD Big Brake kit to go all out TRD on my car. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Where are you seeing stories of the TRD ones blowing? I don't think I've heard too much of them. I don't have them, have Tokico (no complaints) but the seem OK to me.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

Read about 4 posts on scionlife and now a friend who's rear TRD shocks went out.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

Oh, and just to be clear, I will only go on TRD shocks only if I decide to upgrade. No other brand. Only because since I have the RS 5.0, I wanna keep the TRD theme going. But if they aren't reliable, no point in getting them. Hence the question.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:27 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

all the parts you buy are a hit and miss some times theres a bad part out of a batch of parts they manufacture
Old 05-31-2009, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

More opinions, please. Thanks for the responses.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:50 AM
H2k
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought the RS 5.0 comes with TRD springs/shocks. Do they really only come with the regular OEM shocks?
Old 06-01-2009, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

www.scion.com/rstc

Read on
Old 06-01-2009, 01:07 AM
H2k
5 Year Member
SL Member

Interesting. Considering it's TRD themed, I would've thought it would come with a proper spring/shocks setup.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

So anymore opinions?
Old 06-01-2009, 05:03 AM
5 Year Member

Ok, so i've been on my TRD shocks for about 2 years now and have nothing to say but good things about them. Dunno bout other folks, but seeing that i've taken my car to auto-x events, as well as track days, I can attest to their durability.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dude your on trd springs with the most mild drop i can think of, why the heck would you need new struts? unless your planning on autox-ing its not worth it. even if you are planning to autox-ing, coilovers are a much better route!
Old 06-01-2009, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

No coilovers, but thanks for the thought.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bud then imo spend your money on more useful items. Its not worth it to upgrade your struts on a BRAND NEW car with just trd springs...get some hids, tint, sound system, intake and such!
Old 06-01-2009, 05:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

please share these posts you have about the trd shocks blowing out. i know kanundrum went through a few, but he autocrossed his tc quite frequently, and used his tc as a daily driver, and md has some awful potholes.

but i have over 40k miles on my trd shocks and springs. no complaints, no problems. what kind of springs are your friends using with their trd shocks? the trd shocks are just like the oem ones except shorter, and much stiffer, and meet or exceed OEM specifications.

btw, the supercharger isn't garbage either, currently have 20k miles on my supercharger, have autocrossed it numerous times, and driven 2000+ mile round trips with it. most of the problems with them bad installation, and improper break-in.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

christian with all due respect though, trd parts are overpriced re-badged items. They may have decent quality but again, i dont see why anyone would waste their money on trd parts. Just look at kanundrum aka sap he and his GF have gone through how many S/C's?
Old 06-01-2009, 06:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

zack, do you really get into this?

kanundrum had his supercharger installed just about as soon as it came out, so there are many possibilities for something to have been overlooked and something could have been improperly torqued, aligned or otherwise installed wrong, also, the support bracket was changed since the original design. as for claudia, i don't know if she ever got a new supercharger or not, i thought it was making a weird noise, but that was it.

but the supercharger not withstanding, trd parts are just fine. you guys crap a huge brick about the price, but that is because they are backed with a warranty. not just a parts warranty, but a comprehensive warranty that covers the rest of the car.

so look at it this way, you want upgraded suspension, but you do not want to worry about voiding part of your warranty coverage, you buy TRD, something random goes wrong, manufacuturer defect, you're covered, which is why they cost more, they are sort of like being insured.

but if you don't care about your warranty, then just buy the springs under the brand the manufactures them, pretty sure it is eibach for cheaper, you save some money, but if something goes wrong, and the non-oem springs are suspect, then your boned.

same with the shocks, pretty sure those are KYB shocks badged as trd, you want warranty, pay alittle more for trd, if you don't care, get kyb.

now many of those parts have warranty's with them, but that is only for that part alone, if it damages another component of the car, then too bad, you can't get them to pay for that, but you could get another spring or shocks.

so why do trd parts cost more? because you have more coverage against defects than other brands!

now, why does my tc hold up better than kanundrums did? could it be driving habit, commuting habits? mine is actually older manufacturing wise, but perhaps it is because i had everything installed professionally?(nothing against kanundrum, but i think that mechanics with full service bay garage can do better work than he can in the driveway, also a bit more experience never hurts) i also waited just over a year ago to have the supercharger installed, so i got updated brackets, and the tech at the dealership had more experience?

now, how many superchargers did they go through...i think he only went through 1 that was replaced, don't know if he ever got a second replacement, i'll ask him tomorrow.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just stick with ur OEM shocks. handling n ride quality will stay the same if u switch to TRD"s. "SAVE YOUR MONEY"
Old 06-01-2009, 06:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

Originally Posted by youngflyer
bud then imo spend your money on more useful items. Its not worth it to upgrade your struts on a BRAND NEW car with just trd springs...get some hids, tint, sound system, intake and such!
Read my profile, sir!
Old 06-01-2009, 06:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

Ok Mong. Maybe just save me money for the TRD Big Brake kit. It DOES serve a safety purpose, ya?

Quick Reply: Reliability of TRD Shocks vs. OEM Shocks