Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Road Racing Suspension Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by 25hr_tC
Motec M800.
should make a plug-n-play harness for it.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'd like to find out more about the specs of the celebrity racing cars or the other tc racing cars

where can i go?
Old 10-29-2007, 10:50 PM

http://www.toyota.com/motorsports/pro_celeb/specs.html
Old 10-29-2007, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.toyota.com/motorsports/pro_celeb/specs.html

How come they are using 15w50?
Old 10-29-2007, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks guys i appreciate it
Old 10-30-2007, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Originally Posted by Keeshwah
Motec M800.
There is a variety of technical reasons why that won't happen, most of which has to do with the "drive-by-wire" system in the tC. The Motec M800 isn't plug-and-play, it's a true standalone ECU for the tC, unlike the AEM or Hydra that still require the stock ECU in-line for throttle control. Because of the cost of the Motec, the cost of tuning (and you though Unichip was hard to find tuners for), the need to calibrate the D-B-W to the M800, and the different road and racing tC applications Motec M800s are installed, a P-n-P harness doesn't seem realistic or practical.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Dezod AEM F/IC standalone

http://www.dezod.com/pd_dezod_motors...standalone.cfm
Old 10-30-2007, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

for coilover suspension... I would recommend Tein SS-P. I just installed a set on my car last week with the EDFC and I love it. I can adjust the damper on the go.

I drove back to California for the weekend and put them on the softest setting and they were nice and soft for the long drive. I want to have fun and push a button and they are on stiff.

My friend has k-sport coilovers and he has to pop his hood to adjust hit coilovers. I love Tein

TEIN FTW
Old 10-31-2007, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by 2fast4you
Motec M800.
There is a variety of technical reasons why that won't happen, most of which has to do with the "drive-by-wire" system in the tC. The Motec M800 isn't plug-and-play, it's a true standalone ECU for the tC, unlike the AEM or Hydra that still require the stock ECU in-line for throttle control. Because of the cost of the Motec, the cost of tuning (and you though Unichip was hard to find tuners for), the need to calibrate the D-B-W to the M800, and the different road and racing tC applications Motec M800s are installed, a P-n-P harness doesn't seem realistic or practical.
Good points--the M800 controls the DBW, does traction control, controls the VVT, etc. We'll have some smart engine maps in place for both a turbo and supercharged solution, should people be interested. The engine loom isn't too expensive, but it's certianly not something for a casual track-day car.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by BrownDogg
for coilover suspension... I would recommend Tein SS-P. I just installed a set on my car last week with the EDFC and I love it. I can adjust the damper on the go.

I drove back to California for the weekend and put them on the softest setting and they were nice and soft for the long drive. I want to have fun and push a button and they are on stiff.

My friend has k-sport coilovers and he has to pop his hood to adjust hit coilovers. I love Tein

TEIN FTW
Thanks--Tein doesn't make a true road racing shock, and that's what we need. No one, to that point, makes a proper road racing shock, but in the past 2 months, 2 manufacturers have stepped up. Chris Rado has had Penske make him shocks, and I've had Moton make me my tC shocks.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

TEIN FTW
Thanks--Tein doesn't make a true road racing shock, and that's what we need. No one, to that point, makes a proper road racing shock, but in the past 2 months, 2 manufacturers have stepped up. Chris Rado has had Penske make him shocks, and I've had Moton make me my tC shocks.
Any info on spring rates, valving, or adjustability yet?
Old 10-31-2007, 05:00 PM

TEIN FTW
Spring rates and setup info is private, as is valving, but these initial Motons are 2-ways.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

I'm guessing they won't have many of those answers until the car starts testing, and when they do, they won't share them with us. If they are racing in SCCA Pro events, spring rates (probably no less than 8k/front, 11k/rear) and damper settings will be determined per track and by conditions. As for adjustability, at minimum professional racing dampers have separate compression and rebound adjustments (2-way), unlike our street-class coilovers that adjust either rebound only, compression and rebound together, or not at all. Some race dampers are 3-way adjustable, meaning they offer high and low speed compression (bump) as well as rebound, and the really serious dampers offer 4-way adjustment. Had I had known this was a professional racing effort, I probably wouldn't have wasted his time suggesting modifying street coilovers.

Moton has built dampers specifically for Toyotas in the past (Celica, Supra, MR2, etc) and will probably make them available for the tC; a two-way set starts around $4300.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This looks very cool. I love the pictures so far of the build. Keep it up and keep us posted!

Watching
Old 10-31-2007, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by 2fast4you
I'm guessing they won't have many of those answers until the car starts testing, and when they do, they won't share them with us. If they are racing in SCCA Pro events, spring rates (probably no less than 8k/front, 11k/rear) and damper settings will be determined per track and by conditions. As for adjustability, at minimum professional racing dampers have separate compression and rebound adjustments (2-way), unlike our street-class coilovers that adjust either rebound only, compression and rebound together, or not at all. Some race dampers are 3-way adjustable, meaning they offer high and low speed compression (bump) as well as rebound, and the really serious dampers offer 4-way adjustment. Had I had known this was a professional racing effort, I probably wouldn't have wasted his time suggesting modifying street coilovers.

Moton has built dampers specifically for Toyotas in the past (Celica, Supra, MR2, etc) and will probably make them available for the tC; a two-way set starts around $4300.
good info, thanks.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm in the exact same boat your on right now. I used to own an Integra and the suspension aftermarket was insanly vast. I could pick from anything from teins, to buddy clubs to pure cuircut built Motuls. So when I got my scion really the "best" coilovers out on the market right now are the JIC FLA-2's, which will run you around 2k, the KW variant 2's that offer rebound and bound adjustability, but I don't know if they offer pb-mounts and camber plates. The Hks Hypermax Rs's, which offer lower spring rates but have very stiff dampening. Now, Megan Racing, Ksport, and D2 also offer coilovers with vast amount of features, (dampening adj. camber plates, etc, etc) but to me they are on the lower end of the quality ladder.

Now I've driven on Tein SS, Hypermax Rs's, Buddy Club R-Spec's, Tanabe Prospec 2's, and I've found that the monotube design gives way better dampening that the twin tube design that the SS use. I'm really liking the variant 2's but I've don't have any feed back from anyone that actually drives them and I don't know if they even offer camber plates. I'm not going to spend 1.5k on coilovers that don't offer camber plates. I would love to spend 2k on the Jic's but I know that allot of the Rsx guys have had issues with broken mounts and early bloawage. Now they could of or couldn't of fixed this issue, but thats 2k I'm not willing to gamble on. That and for DD they would be incredibly too stiff. My friend DD's his rsx on BC racing specs on the softest setting and they are insanley stiffer than his old Tein SS's.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:21 PM

An even more fun announcement about my new team:

http://www.world-challenge.com/news/story.php?ID=800
Old 11-19-2007, 07:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why are you looking at suspension arms? Are the tcs not beefy (or light) enough?

I would think that kind of R&D would be better served in getting more power out of the engine or perhaps tuning.

A full coilover with damper adj. for any street car is border-line retarded. Most people have little/no clue on how to properly setup/tune a full coilover, other than "it's stiff". Stiff suspension doesn't equate to better handling. In some cases, it's quite the opposite.

I am curious of the spring rates you are using between the front and rears for a Touring car. I believe the RSXs were using close to 1000lb (or higher) rears.

what about brake options?
Old 11-20-2007, 02:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by HondaCRX
Why are you looking at suspension arms? Are the tcs not beefy (or light) enough?

I would think that kind of R&D would be better served in getting more power out of the engine or perhaps tuning.

A full coilover with damper adj. for any street car is border-line retarded. Most people have little/no clue on how to properly setup/tune a full coilover, other than "it's stiff". Stiff suspension doesn't equate to better handling. In some cases, it's quite the opposite.

I am curious of the spring rates you are using between the front and rears for a Touring car. I believe the RSXs were using close to 1000lb (or higher) rears.

what about brake options?
Read the article and then you can make suggestions to him. I'm sure that they already know the pitfalls of the platform and new control arms could be light weight but I'm sure the real reason is so they can get more adjust ability.