Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

slightly bent control arm????

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 04:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default slightly bent control arm????

Hi y'all I have been having an issue with my car so i was wondering if anyone could help? I hit an island curb at a parking lot heading home late at night at 5-to 10 miles per hour and now my car(09 scion tc) and now it pulls to the right when i hit small speed bumps not big ones usually. I also will get a small jerk on some bumps on the road
though it usually feels better on a warmer day. I have gone through looking for any damaged parts everything looks normal after jacking up the car . i have replaced the struts and springs so im thinking the control arm is slightly bent does this seem like symptoms it would show ? Also the right wheel hit the curb first and the the left side hit when I went up with both wheels lifted on the curb.

Last edited by elgueaga; 03-31-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You would know if you bent your control arm, even slightly, because there would be a wrinkle where it bent. Also, I really hope you didn't replace your strut and spring soley because of the accident. That place no role whatsoever in your situation of hitting a curb. You need to be checking bolts, and looking for tears on the metal around the bolts where they were forced to bend. If you have nothing there, then it's just out of alignment. The way you describe your car's reactions doesn't sound that it is that big of a deal. If you bent something, it would go straight without constant struggle. And when you are going down the road, there isn't a vibration. Get it aligned, and if they can't align it, then they can find why they can't and tell you what is wrong. I can't believe your replaced the stut...
Old 03-31-2013, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ill check for a small wrinkle on the arms . I pretty much checked every bolt i could see for damage i replaced the struts cause what i thought i felt before was bump steer and i heard could be due to worn shocks.I also had the parts already cause i was just gonna replace em before since i had planned on lowering my car with trd springs and at 74000 miles i decided to replace the struts too.So
of course i got an alignment and they didn't see anything wrong . There's a slight vibration going down roads at higher speeds .
Old 04-01-2013, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

anyone think this might be a ball joint?
Old 04-02-2013, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No.

But take it apart and check it out I guess.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:04 PM

Default ALIGNMENT

I had to replace my right front lower because of an accident that happened before I bought it. if the arm is bent, the distance between the bumper and the tire will be smaller from one side to the other. Noticed mine when I saw that the right side tire was sitting back farther in the wheel well than the left front was.

And you most definitely could've bent a strut when you hit the curb, just depends on how exactly the tire hit. My best advice would be to get the alignment checked. Any good technician can notice bent suspension parts, I do it all the time.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my wife did the same thing in a parking lot to her Mazda3. I replaced the strut, wheel bearing, and strut bearing (hat). After all that, there was 1.5 degree of negative camber I couldn't find the cause for (Mazda3 have no stock camber adjustment). Eventually I discovered the holes where the top of the strut bolts to the body/chassis were tweaked, causing the entire strut to sit slightly at an angle.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by OBDDIAGR
I had to replace my right front lower because of an accident that happened before I bought it. if the arm is bent, the distance between the bumper and the tire will be smaller from one side to the other. Noticed mine when I saw that the right side tire was sitting back farther in the wheel well than the left front was.

And you most definitely could've bent a strut when you hit the curb, just depends on how exactly the tire hit. My best advice would be to get the alignment checked. Any good technician can notice bent suspension parts, I do it all the time.
Lol i guess there are no good technicians where i go.I have had the alignment checked after the curbing and an alignment done after replacing the struts and springs and they said they didn't see anything wrong with it . I actually measured it before i saw your message and the center of the wheel seems 1/8th of an inch off more towards the back. I also noticed today that when the driver side wheel is straight the passenger side is slightly turned to the right.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HKSpeed
my wife did the same thing in a parking lot to her Mazda3. I replaced the strut, wheel bearing, and strut bearing (hat). After all that, there was 1.5 degree of negative camber I couldn't find the cause for (Mazda3 have no stock camber adjustment). Eventually I discovered the holes where the top of the strut bolts to the body/chassis were tweaked, causing the entire strut to sit slightly at an angle.
Jeezus how did you end up fixing that issue?

also has anyone had to replace the passenger side control arm? When i was looking at the control arm it looks like the oil pan will get in the way of one of the bolts that needs to be removed.

Last edited by elgueaga; 04-03-2013 at 06:47 AM. Reason: adding
Old 04-03-2013, 02:03 PM
SL Member

Vibration at hight speed? Im thinking bent wheel