Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

What youve all been waiting for. Tanabe Coilovers. NO 56k.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default What youve all been waiting for. Tanabe Coilovers. NO 56k.

The whole experience has been more than pleasing. I ordered them from a local shop where I do a bit of work myself. (Odd teardown jobs and the like) He also installed them, i 'tried' to help. Was bascially in the way. So i gutted the rear instead while he was workin on the fronts.

They came in a BIG box. unassembled. it was like christmas.

NOTICE. the crazy freakin clown car JDM colors. haha. Metallic Purple, Anodized Red, and Orange. with black springs. i love them. haha

For those who havnt seen. THIS is the old.

and THIS is how I currently sit.

FRONT

REAR

Im very impressed with the suspension. As was the owner of the shop, who has an IS300. Which has more than its share of suspension parts. AND has driven just about anything modifed you can think of. (Also a HUGE MR2 fan, which means he knows whats good handling and whats not)

They mount using the stock upper mounts, the sway links are VASTLY increased. they are beefy SOBs... the spring rates on them are 6k front and 8k rear. just ride height adjustable. no damper controls, etc. which i dont mind.

the ride is very comparable to stock. you notice some things a little more, thus is the case with a modifed suspension. but its not harsh by any means.

the performance gain is AWESOME for how it rides. lets just say, ill need new tires. because i leave mine on the streets... and this is with nothing else being changed. no sways, tower bars, underbrace. nothing. i like how they perform.

the height. is nice right now. im going to let it settle for a week and then play with it. see how it looks, how far i can go without losing causing MORE trouble for the car than its worth, for whatever reason, be it camber. or just too low for the control arms, etc.

ANYWAYS. to the good stuff. dont mind the dirtyness. it was raining. didnt want to wash it obviously.
Compared to my friends hatch, which is about two-three inches at the lip, to the ground.

now just me. in a nice garage, so we didnt get rained on.

any questions. just ask. and suggestions. go ahead, lemme know.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you get it with the helper spring? 6 and 8 is a nice spring rate someone should make a thread of all the coilovers and their spring rates and ride comfort.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

slam it!
Old 04-30-2006, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

this looks pretty good.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

have you driven or took a ride in any other TC with coilovers before? i would like to hear a comparison
Old 04-30-2006, 07:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks like you have it about as low as you may want to go already, much lower and the suspension geometry goes all to hell and the handling is upset dramatically.

Besides, much easier to drive in the real world if not to low and looks classy instead of ricy;)

Rick
Old 04-30-2006, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by raamaudio
Looks like you have it about as low as you may want to go already, much lower and the suspension geometry goes all to hell and the handling is upset dramatically.

Besides, much easier to drive in the real world if not to low and looks classy instead of ricy;)

Rick
i remember reading a huge thread you made about your suspension and how too low on these cars makes it worse. ive taken that to heart. id still like to look around underneath and see what i can do. i might like to lose maybe another half inch at the most.

Originally Posted by hahaitzskippy
have you driven or took a ride in any other TC with coilovers before? i would like to hear a comparison
unfortunately i have not. ive riden in my share of hondas with coilovers, as well as just springs and some other cars with just springs. and the ride is better than most of those. tell you the truth. im possibly the first tC in the omaha area with full CO setup. i know of a couple with just springs. but theres not a WHOLE lot of tCs out here. and i only know a few of those people.

Originally Posted by Typhoon
Did you get it with the helper spring? 6 and 8 is a nice spring rate someone should make a thread of all the coilovers and their spring rates and ride comfort.
no helper springs. which makes me even more pleased. bust out a little more money. and you have an even BETTER ride...

the only thing that confused me about the spring rates was with the higher rate in the rear. the tC is the ONLY car that tanabe does that for (on theses ones at least).

next, wheels and tires and breather mods.

just to be off topic a bit. anyone hear about any plug and plays with the tC? if not, ill start my shop guy working on it. he supplies quite a bit of the IS world with e-manage
PnP harnesses. and one of the only dealers who offers ACTUAL tech support, hes possibly flying/driving to chicago to tune someones car ;)

he also is a tanabe dealer. SO. if you need tanabe parts. ill tell him to add some more parts to his shopping cart for the tCs.
www.transonicracinginnovations.com
Old 04-30-2006, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

color=sexiness
how much were they?
Old 04-30-2006, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

just out of curiousity...how low do these go? they look pretty high now, what height do you have em set at?
Old 04-30-2006, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice setup you got there man.... I was looking into those same coilovers but went with the TRD/Eibach combo in the end. Check out my ride some time... LINK BELOW
Old 05-01-2006, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ptang
color=sexiness
how much were they?
i got a bit of a deal from my friend. 944. shipped. actually cheaper. because thats cost to me. being a local shop. i had to pay tax. so subtract like 7%.

Originally Posted by sciongirl81
just out of curiousity...how low do these go? they look pretty high now, what height do you have em set at?
they are sitting pretty high. i think above the halfway point even. they are rated at a 3/8 - 2 inch drop in the front. and 3/8-2 3/8 in the rear. i havnt measured for sure to see where they are. ill mess with them a little more. when one. its not raining anymore. (since it has for like a week now...) and two. they settle a little more. although i think they are probably about where they will be as far as that goes.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
AlphaSquad
SL Member

they look nice..
Old 05-13-2006, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

looks good
Old 05-13-2006, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

looking goooood
Old 05-13-2006, 06:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice drop man, like the look
Old 05-13-2006, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

They look great...just one thing...

Is that rust coming through the paint already?

Other than that they look like a quality set. The best handling is achieved when the A-arms are parallel with the ground. Don't lower any further than that for performance. For show, go nuts, just don't drive it too much slammed as it puts a lot of stress on the CVs since they were not designed for the harsh angle of a slammed ride.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PghtC
They look great...just one thing...

Is that rust coming through the paint already?

Other than that they look like a quality set. The best handling is achieved when the A-arms are parallel with the ground. Don't lower any further than that for performance. For show, go nuts, just don't drive it too much slammed as it puts a lot of stress on the CVs since they were not designed for the harsh angle of a slammed ride.
i didnt notice it either on the pictures. nor when i had them in my hands. i still have to adjust them some. so ill check when i get under there. pretty sure its just the colors of the flake though. they are WELL built. and the paint looked to be even better than my freakin car...