Notices

255/40/17 what do i need to do to pull it off with no rubbing ? wheel newb !

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 03:10 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Default 255/40/17 what do i need to do to pull it off with no rubbing ? wheel newb !

Hey guys !

I'm coming back from Iraq in 5 month and i'm thinking about starting to do my research and start making purchases very soon.

This is what i want:

I want maximum traction obviously ! Once i'm back the car should be redy and tuned @20 psi by Vinny Ten so its going to be some respectable power! When i drove my current set up while on R&R i had issues with flooring the car going 60-70mph ! I had ALOT wheel spin and alot of tourque steer ! For the tourque steer i'm going to install LSD but for traction i would like to run 255/40/17 Dunlop Direzza Star Spec tires.
I understand that i need 17x8.5 wheel but which one ? and whats the offset ? In addition to that i need them to clear my wilwood BBK's !

So i need help with:

picking 17x8.5 5x100 rim
which offset is best for my application
clear Wilwood BBK
and obviously i want NO rubbing.

My budget is $250 per rim.

Thank you in advance for the help !
Old 04-01-2010, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just saying, but with an 8.5 inch wide wheel you can go with a 265. if you dont want rubbing, i would suggest an offset closer to 40-45. you cant go wrong with the star specs also, they are the street tire to have at the moment. which lsd are you looking at?
Old 04-01-2010, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Roll the fenders and a very stiff suspension will help. Is there a reason why you want to go 255?
Old 04-01-2010, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

i havent decided which LSD yet to be honest with you. I know where to get TRD for REALLY low price and if they still have it i'll take TRD, if not that mean i would have to pay 1100 for it and i might as well just get OS Giken since its only few hundreds more.

I have a chance of getting Dan Gardner 17x8.5 wheel in +30 offset they are only like 16lbs per wheel really custom and light. But i'm not too big on their design on flat black color. On the other hand their will look as low key as it gets, lol which is what i want. Running 265 tire i dont even know if thats necessary on the streets. I think i will have enough trouble figuring out what to do with 255's lol plus 265 is probably good amount more expensive then 255. I'm pretty sure just to be safe i would have to roll my fenders.

BTW if it helps guys, i'm dropped on TRD springs for now, i will upgrade to coilovers but that most likely won't happen 'till next year because i dont want to blow alot of money at once since wheels/tires combo and LSD+install is ALOT of money itself.

lets see if i get these Dan Gardner wheels: 1200
Dunlop Tires: 636

LSD=TBD
Install: $520.

Total: At least 2356.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by chrischoi
Roll the fenders and a very stiff suspension will help. Is there a reason why you want to go 255?

for suspension i have TRD springs and hotchkiss sway bar on the back set at the hardest setting. What else can be improved ?

The reason is because i'm going to be putting down 400+whp on 20 psi and i need traction for the streets and for the track. Once i'm bacl from iraq i'm planning on going to the drag stip to see what i can run for bragging right and i want to learn how to autox and road race.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

dont go with a 30 offset, you will have to run a more negative camber.. and guess what you will still rub.. too negative camber might looks good but not really so good when you drive it for performance. maybe a 40 offset will still rub but not as much.. oh remove the plastic liner on front, for the rear remove that bolt on the bumper
Old 04-01-2010, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

u could go w/ some coilovers w/ some dampening adjustability and tinker w/ it some that way. im running 245/40/17 right now on 17x8 +46. had i been on 8.5 id had gone w/ 255. im about a finger gap all around right now. i wouldnt mind just rolling my rear fenders for piece of mind, but its not neccessary since i dont carry people in the backseat.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RusWolf
i havent decided which LSD yet to be honest with you. I know where to get TRD for REALLY low price and if they still have it i'll take TRD, if not that mean i would have to pay 1100 for it and i might as well just get OS Giken since its only few hundreds more.
do they have any more of these trd lsds at this really low price? hook a brotha up lol i need one!

RusWolf:
I'll get a website for you and you can call them and see if they still have those.

Last edited by RusWolf; 04-02-2010 at 05:02 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Ace83
dont go with a 30 offset, you will have to run a more negative camber.. and guess what you will still rub.. too negative camber might looks good but not really so good when you drive it for performance. maybe a 40 offset will still rub but not as much.. oh remove the plastic liner on front, for the rear remove that bolt on the bumper

You bring up an interesting point Ace, i almost secured a deal on the set of DG Enkei's with +30 offset. Are you sure of these rubbing stuff ? Then what would be the best offset closer to 45 ? I also like 5zigen ProRacer GN+ and i think they come in like +47 offset will they be less of a hussle to run 255 on ?

follow up question: Will rolling the fenders help with not rubbing +30 offset ? or this offset is pretty much a pain in the butt and its almost impossible to make it work 100% with that wide of a tire ?

Last edited by RusWolf; 04-02-2010 at 05:44 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You bring up an interesting point Ace, i almost secured a deal on the set of DG Enkei's with +30 offset. Are you sure of these rubbing stuff ? Then what would be the best offset closer to 45 ? I also like 5zigen ProRacer GN+ and i think they come in like +47 offset will they be less of a hussle to run 255 on ?

follow up question: Will rolling the fenders help with not rubbing +30 offset ? or this offset is pretty much a pain in the butt and its almost impossible to make it work 100% with that wide of a tire ?
I ran my 5 zigen ProRacer GN+ 17x8.5 +48 with 255/40-17 Falken Azenis RT-615 for two years with no rubbing issues. I'm now running Rota 18x9.5 +35 with an 11mm spacer and Nitto 275/35-18 tires. I got rid of the rubbing with this combo but it took quite a bit of work.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Jeremy
Old 04-02-2010, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by KCTTC
I ran my 5 zigen ProRacer GN+ 17x8.5 +48 with 255/40-17 Falken Azenis RT-615 for two years with no rubbing issues. I'm now running Rota 18x9.5 +35 with an 11mm spacer and Nitto 275/35-18 tires. I got rid of the rubbing with this combo but it took quite a bit of work.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Jeremy
Thank you for your reply bud ! Yes i have lots and lots of questions !

but i'll start with few that matter.

1) So what do you think will need to be done to run 255 with +30 offset ? is that too wrong of an offset that will need alot of work ?
2) Did you have to do anything to run +48 and 255 ? maybe fender rolling, spacers etc ? Do you have pictures of 5zigens on the car ?

Thank you.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

The "rub" you may experience will depend on the how low the car is dropped. My one customer Brian in FLA has a stock ride height tC with the +30 offset wheels on it and does not rub, nor had to roll the fenders. I can't find the pics he sent me after he put them on.

The effect of rub is going to be contingent upon drop and camber settings if any Yev
Old 04-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Also, the local guy here in Buffalo is running 40 offset with 255 and a 2 finger gap with no rub.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you should really talk to turbo_tC. He has the dan gardners with 255. He had to shave and roll.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Paul but +40 offset and plus +30 offset is a good difference no ?
i'm dropped on TRD spring for now as you might know and i never messed with cambers or in fact dont know how to.. my suspension is pretty much stock except springs and sway bars.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Paul but +40 offset and plus +30 offset is a good difference no ?
i'm dropped on TRD spring for now as you might know and i never messed with cambers or in fact dont know how to.. my suspension is pretty much stock except springs and sway bars.
Indeed it is. 30 is pushed more toward the fender than 40
Old 04-02-2010, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

.394" more torwards the fender.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

I have 18x8 w/ 35 offset and only on 235/40/18, front is less than a finger gap, the rear 1 finger gap.. very stiff tein coilovers and rolled rear fenders. I still rub on hard cornering, even on a mild hump on a decent speed.. I dont have experience w/ those actual setup but i am sure they would rub maybe unless you are not lowered... There could be ways to do w/ rubbing but again, too much neg camber will ruin your performance.. 40 offset will give you a lil more room to run those wide tires.. your tires will still be flushed with a 40 offset coz they are wide.

If you have an irresistible deal with those 30 offset, you can get those and maybe later on gauge interest for trades

Oh you may wanna ask ptuning a tip, they run those 18s with wide tires on their time attack car.. they should be able to help you.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey Paul, if im not mistaken, steve is running 225/40 with the DG rpf1s dropped on tein ssps. i think he had to roll the fenders.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Ace83
I have 18x8 w/ 35 offset and only on 235/40/18, front is less than a finger gap, the rear 1 finger gap.. very stiff tein coilovers and rolled rear fenders. I still rub on hard cornering, even on a mild hump on a decent speed.. I dont have experience w/ those actual setup but i am sure they would rub maybe unless you are not lowered... There could be ways to do w/ rubbing but again, too much neg camber will ruin your performance.. 40 offset will give you a lil more room to run those wide tires.. your tires will still be flushed with a 40 offset coz they are wide.

If you have an irresistible deal with those 30 offset, you can get those and maybe later on gauge interest for trades

Oh you may wanna ask ptuning a tip, they run those 18s with wide tires on their time attack car.. they should be able to help you.
i have a good deal on them but nothing i cant walk away from if they are not going to be easy to work with...

$1200 includes shipping and all the hardware except center caps. Pretty great in my opinion but that offset worries me. So i think if i cant find anything else i will go with 5zigen proracer GN+ 17x8.5 +48 offset in gunmetal and actually i have seen +45 offset but in Silver... but how would my white pearl look with silver ? i might take them if i find in silver with that perfect offset and if i dont like the color i can always powdercoat them later.

Quick Reply: 255/40/17 what do i need to do to pull it off with no rubbing ? wheel newb !