Notices

Falken 912s!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Falken 912s!

So I just got a set of these and they are GREAT tires. Well worth the money I forked over for them this weekend. These with my new sway (Thanks to Dezod for the DG Spec) And the car is a new creature (still stock....for a little while longer, parts are still coming in) Even with the stock suspension and 30k miles on my 06, it EATS corners like nothing. I havent heard a single protest from the tires even when TRYING to push them! Not very many roads to drive around Hawaii that arent crawling with cops, but I have managed to take some backroads to get a little time with them. No noise on the highways and handle better than expected in rainy weather only a slight slip at about 70 in a (recommended) 25 turn.

Overall I give these tires a 4/5. Rated at 40k, im sure they wont last that long, but hey that gonna be my fault
Old 05-16-2010, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hahah nice,

and why does Hawaii have interstate highways, i kid, i kid.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Glad you like them, but I have been fairly un-impressed with them the last couple of years I have had them. Honestly wish they would die so I could have an excuse to buy new tires The Avon all seasons I had before were the same price and about 3 times better. And in the rain the Avons did well .. the 912's are pretty poor in the rain IMO. The 912's have gotten exceedingly noisy in the past year as well.

For the price they arent terrible, but nothing to write home about unless you are comparing them to stock tires, in which case they are a step up.

Not a big deal for me though, since I have another set of tires for autox (and a different car in the snowy parts of the year)v and basically just care that these get me back and forth to work during the summer and fall.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the 912 is a budget tire in my opinion. good choice if youre looking for cheap low profile name brand (non-chinese) tires. around los angeles i see them for about $80 a piece (225/40/18 )
Old 05-18-2010, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Kind of crazy how much grip you could get out of the Falken 615's for the same price However, you wouldnt want to expect more than about 15,000 miles out of a set or drive them anytime but in the summer :D
Old 05-19-2010, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Overall I give these tires a 4/5. Rated at 40k, im sure they wont last that long, but hey that gonna be my fault [/quote]

i have 225/40/18 but overall they are pretty good tires, i drive alot and i have to say they have lasted me pretty long. but its time for a change pretty soon
Old 05-19-2010, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Great for stretching, and as said before an entry level tire from a major brand. However these were the wort tire I have ever had on my tc, had them about 6 months then got rid of them. Horrible in the rain/snow, noisy in the dry and no grip across the board, a very hard tire. If you are looking for a long life tire and can put up with a crappy driving tire that is really loud we have your tire!!!!
Old 05-19-2010, 08:49 PM

sucks that falkens dont last
Old 05-23-2010, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

i love these tires!

personally i think theyre great in the rain! this is 50-60mph in super heavy rain, i never go above that

im on my 2nd set, and also had a set on my is300, the is300 ate through them in 20k miles (being that it naturally goes through tires pretty fast) i still have a set on my stockies, and am stretching some on my enkeis, and i love them!

ive had neogens on stockies as well and they were great too, but then again i NEVER really push my car so i cant speak on perfomance. but i love them for the price/quality and looks
Old 05-23-2010, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by dgktc
sucks that falkens dont last

They last just fine.. I wish mine WOULD wear out to give me an excuse to replace them with something good

The 615's didnt last very long, but they are extreme performance summer tires that are very sticky. You pay for lots of grip in tire life. Typically, on a passenger car, tires that last the longest dont grip very well.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by engifineer
They last just fine.. I wish mine WOULD wear out to give me an excuse to replace them with something good

The 615's didnt last very long, but they are extreme performance summer tires that are very sticky. You pay for lots of grip in tire life. Typically, on a passenger car, tires that last the longest dont grip very well.
exactly what i said... neogens give some good grip and last longer than falkens
Old 05-23-2010, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the 225/40ZR18 ZE912's, I switched from 225/45ZR17 Kumho's. Even though I plus sized, the ride on the Falken is way smoother and quieter. I would definitely recommend these tires to anyone looking for some good quality tires.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by dgktc
exactly what i said... neogens give some good grip and last longer than falkens
And then maybe read the very next part of the statement about them being very sticky. Neogens will not provide as much grip as a set of 615's (which is why you saw 615's on a very large percent of autox vehicles a couple of years ago, they were the tire to have for any street tire class for a good while. Thus, the life expectancy is lower. The only reason you see fewer 615's out there now is because the bridgestone re 11's ended up exceed them in performance (although at a lot higher price) and the Dunlops (Star specs) also exceed them in performance by a good amount at a price that isnt too hard to handle.

When you are talking competitive levels of grip, tire life is just something you have to be willing to sacrifice on at least a little bit.

And I believe the Neogen is an all season tire... not even in the ballpark of grip of an extreme performance summer tire. So it really is comparing apples to oranges, of course the summer tire will wear faster.

Last edited by engifineer; 05-23-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:58 PM
SL Member

Definitely good tires!

..I'm selling mine if anyone wants them! hahaha. (already off the car).
Old 06-02-2010, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol well i finally got them to squeal at me in a turn...just put the SS-Ps in and the DG Sway...wow is all i can say. Tires really arent all the noisy to me at all....course im driving with loud music. AutoX is close don hawaii right now, unless i go through 12 turns, but ill only do that at night cause i can see headlights. Ill be buying a second set of tires for AutoX anyway these are my spirited driving tires .
Old 06-02-2010, 07:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had a set of these on my stockies and i loved them, now i have a set on m super 7's still enjoying them, would like to try another type of tire though.