Notices

helppp or my wheels gonna fall out.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default helppp or my wheels gonna fall out.

sorry for asking but i was putting my wheels back on and i guess too much pressure snapped off the screw thats made for the bolts that holds the wheels on the car (i dont know the specific part names, sorry). so now iam riding on 4 bolts on my right front wheel and i was wondering if anyone had a problem like this and if they did, can i buy a aftermarket part for that or would i have to go to the dealership? thanks guys
Old 06-03-2007, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think u need a new hub..or u can go to tire shop and sometimes they can put a new threaded piece there. cuz theres times where u overthread those bolts and they just replace that screw...rod..w/e its called
Old 06-03-2007, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

go to a tire shop and ask them what needs to be done if you broke the stud where the lugs screw onto then they can replace that for a small price.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks! i just hope its not a big and expensive problem. and will driving on 4 lugs really dangerous or will it hold up for a while?
Old 06-03-2007, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

well my ex when we tried to take off her rims off of her car we started snapping off studds went to schaub and they started replacing them all i not sure how much but if i was you i wouldnt drive to far or at all you never know what might happen next, just to be on the safe side.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you dont necessarily need five lugs all the tine, but i wouldnt recommend driving like that for a while.

if you just spun the stud if shouldnt be a problem, they can replace it without a problem.

and this is why your always supposed to use a torque wrench..
Old 06-03-2007, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

if one breaks, it puts more stress on the others which can possibly break as well, a guy at an autocross didn't have a torque wrench and snapped a stud on his TC, figured it'd be fine to run with one, after one autocross run of 50 seconds, he checked his wheel and he was missing another stud. Needless to say, he didn't finish out the day and had the car towed to get the others replaced.

Don't be surprised if they snap more of the studs trying to get them off the car, go to an auto store and buy a $20 torque wrench, you'll thank yourself later, even a crappy torque wrench is better than none at all.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The studs on ours should be pressed in. So you dont need the whole hub, just a new stud.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

alright thanks guys!
Old 06-04-2007, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

I had an old school bronco II and I got new tires from a shop one day... I was driving home and felt my wheels wobbeling all over the place. They forgot to tighten all my lug nuts and I had only two holding on my front passenger tire and three on the front driver. Ya I was pretty ____ed. But dont sweet it too much just get it fixed as soon as possible and dont drive like a mad man. Studs are cheap cars are not.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
The studs on ours should be pressed in. So you dont need the whole hub, just a new stud.
Your correct engifineer. When my buddy and I installed my CAI, we didn't check the manual for the torque setting on the lugs and took a guys advice at the shop and torqued them to 110...meanest to say it only took three cranks and one popped. They are pressed in, go to a Scion/Toyo dealership, tell them you need a stud to replace on your tC. Mine was like 6-7 bucks of my 07. However the shop my buddy took it to charged him 80 bucks to press it back in. Luckily the other 4 were just fine and I only drove 2 miles on it, so I'd keep it at a minimum to prevent further breaking. If you broke one and stopped then the others should be fine, but if you even think you over tightened some of the others I'd recommend getting a few replacement studs for them just incase since they are cheap. Just FYI though the max torque for our lugs is 76 ft/lbs and they may take a little more than that so you could possibly over tighten them and in which case they could be very prone to failure.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yep the stud can just be hammered out on our cars. autozone sells them for like what a dollar??? just buy a new stud, hammer out the old one, put the new one through the whole, put the nut it comes with on it and tighten it up till the stud is pressed in like all the others(i.e. use a torque wrench)...its that simple!!
Old 06-14-2007, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea, i bought 2 studs from the dealership for 9 bucks and installed them my self! thanks for all the help!
Old 11-06-2007, 03:29 AM
5 Year Member

Anyone know a part number for replacement wheel studs? I broke two of mine the other week. I called the dealership and they quoted me $300 something for the stud. I tried to explain to them that they are not quoting me the right part but after a few tries, gave up. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:11 AM

if your wheel studs broke off you over-torqued them...the torque for a tc is only 80ft lbs. wheel studs usually cost about $80 per stud to fix...they might be a little cheaper if you have more than one done on the same hub.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sigh...this thread makes me sad...

i really miss poor otacon...i never got a chance to actually meet him..poor guy...he knew so much about cars, i wish he was still around, there was so much more i needed to learn...