Turn for lightweight!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 11:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Super-Stormtrooper07
Originally Posted by Daurigon
really? for forged wheels? damn, thats a crazy good deal. i paid an arm and a leg for mine...
Those look like Rays 57S wheels.. in bronze ??!! Am I right? If so, they are a cast wheel(not forged) , and retail price on a 17" is prob. right about $300-325 ea.
WedsSport SA-90.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tC9o9
5zigen FN01R-C
On a Bronze wheel, I concur!

Remember, the wider the wheel- the more weight you add to the wheel(.. also its weight that is located on the outer part of the wheel when you widen a wheel, which is the most detrimental/noticalbe weight of all ...... like tire weight).

The 17X7 FN01R-C wheel only weights 16lbs ... made in Japan , and is quality!
Not gonna find much better then this in bronze sister Some say this wheel is played out ??!! Maybe. Then again, to me its a symbolic way of the masses recognizing what a quality wheel is, well constructed, good/decent weight, at a good/decent price - not to mention good looking for a 5-spoke wheel

... and at $187ea. for the 17X7 , ($196 for 17X8 - but will weight about 1/2 pound more per wheel) shipped , there you go... your just with in budget!
Old 10-29-2007, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ro_Ja
WedsSport SA-90.
Looks like they make a Forged, and a Cast version of that SA-90 wheel

Even still, the 17X7.5 cast wheel is $219 (over budget), from this same forum sponsored seller:
http://www.hopupracing.com/ssrwheels.html
or....
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=197867

not so sure on the weight on those Weds SA-90, contact the merchent.. Steve can tell you. My guess is they are on the heavier side, since the C-one wheels I believe are based off this same wheel design... and for a 17X7.5 they are prob. at least 18-19lbs each.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tC4italy
What color were you thinking of getting?

Why don't you try gunmetal/black or gold?

In my first post ;)

anthracite, gunmetal, hyperblack, bronze

NO gold
NO silver
NO black
Not so sure about Anthracite color.... thats a toughy!

The Enkei RPF1 could be a good wheel in terms of weight.. , but it doesn't offer the colors your looking for + about $30-40 per wheel over budget on those.

What about the Enkie RPM2 wheel ? Not sure on the weight + color(maybe only silver)

I cannot recommend them(since I have no experience w/them), but those Konig Feather wheels are fairly on the light side(approx. 15lbs for a 17X7) , and they do offer a Hyper-black color:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...-100*9-100&rw=

as you know, DTD just had that $100 off tire and/or wheel set ....

Have you considered going to a white wheel ?? There is a xA owner, that put a multi-spoke(10+) white wheel on his dark-gray(almost like FM) , and it looks pretty hot.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by torqueTc
either way, BEFORE you buy wheels, get your S/C hooked up... you might forget all about buying wheels.
Did cave-man first invent #1. Fire , #2. the Wheel, or visa-versa ? That spark from the fire(cooking tool) invention may very well have ignited some ingenuity in that pea-brain of Homo-habolis to then invent the wheel (which made life easier in carting around things).

more hp (maybe torque) can be nice, but it all comes at an expense- ie. doing a SC or turbo upgrade(more $ needed then NICE wheels), plus you HAVE to put in 91+ octane to operate it. Have a nice wheel + tire set on your rig is like no other, sure unsprung weight, and the tire part of the equation is the ultimate upgrade you can do for your suspension/handling- dollar for dollar - many drivers out there on the road neglect to know this important info. fact
Old 10-30-2007, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

ok I can't take all this info now
tomorrow morning after a double shot

Thank you all for chipping in!
Old 10-30-2007, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i'm going crazy
for gun-metal.. the only recommendation I can give is:

http://www.hopupracing.com/buclp1rasfwh.html

or...

http://www.hopupracing.com/noname19.html

Buddy Clubs are made in Japan, quality cast construction, could be a good choice if your down with this 6-spoke design. This 17X7 wheel would weight = 17 lbs. ea. - which is a respectable weight for a durable cast wheel in 17" size.
I like how both of those look but I've never heard of them?
Old 10-30-2007, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i'm going crazy
dammit woman, just get the S/C bolted up, and you wont be worrying about wheel weight.. I know that 40lbs of unsprung weight sounds like a lot - but you REALY should get your HP swerve on before you decide your wheels are "too heavy". Swap out that weak stock BPV for a forge 007 unit (holds boost to your preferance and doesnt seep early like the bosch unit does) and get a good EMS and tune, and youll be able to push another 25hp out of your FACTORY s/c.
None of that will "void" a warranty if toyo doesnt see it... it takes less than 10 mins to swap your BPV, and the EMS's are all plug and play for the most part.

Plus, on the note of the wheels... it would ONLY matter, if your dragging your tC... unsprung weight is NOT going to affect you if your moving say 30MPH and floor it out to 65mph.. you'd never notice a difference, the ONLY place you should notice a difference is when your launching the car, or at a SLOW roll (say 5mph) and floor it (your wheels will spin and break loose easier).

either way, BEFORE you buy wheels, get your S/C hooked up... you might forget all about buying wheels.
I already bought the Bosch 110 to replace the stock one...what is EMS? And tuning? I'm guessing neither of those (EMS and Tuning) should be done at the dealership since you mentioned something bout warranty?

I still have my stock rims with the $hit tires. I'm def. getting the dunlop winter M3 tires put on the stocks. When spring comes I'll have a better idea of how I like the S/C. One thing I know is that I have no space for 3 sets of rims. So maybe come spring i'll sell the stocks and buy lighter rims that have been suggested on here.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Did cave-man first invent #1. Fire , #2. the Wheel, or visa-versa ? That spark from the fire(cooking tool) invention may very well have ignited some ingenuity in that pea-brain of Homo-habolis to then invent the wheel (which made life easier in carting around things).

more hp (maybe torque) can be nice, but it all comes at an expense- ie. doing a SC or turbo upgrade(more $ needed then NICE wheels), plus you HAVE to put in 91+ octane to operate it. Have a nice wheel + tire set on your rig is like no other, sure unsprung weight, and the tire part of the equation is the ultimate upgrade you can do for your suspension/handling- dollar for dollar - many drivers out there on the road neglect to know this important info. fact
Stormtrooper I already bought the S/C 3 days ago and I already have my nice rim/tire set up. Just that they are heavy and i'm tired of people saying that. Its getting to my head and now I think that I'm carrying dinosaurs on my sides

These are my summer rims:

Old 10-30-2007, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Sportmax 039? Cheap, light, and decently good looking.
weight on them?
18.5 lbs
Any complaints so far?
Old 10-30-2007, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

*watches
Old 10-30-2007, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sportmax 039? Cheap, light, and decently good looking.
weight on them?
18.5 lbs
Any complaints so far?
Oh, I don't have them. I was under the impression we were just naming rims... I have tried to find tC owners that do and I seriously can't find anyone. Google failed find something for once. I can do a quick chop though if you'd like to see what they might look like on your tC. That'd be pretty sick if you got them though, you'd be the only one with them.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm going crazy

or...

Buddy Clubs are made in Japan, quality cast construction, could be a good choice if your down with this 6-spoke design. This 17X7 wheel would weight = 17 lbs. ea. - which is a respectable weight for a durable cast wheel in 17" size.
http://www.buddyclub.us/

They make everything from coil-overs, wheels, VTEC controlers for Hondas(they are big in the Honda arena), exhausts, short-shifters, aero kits, etc. Quality company... no junk there.

If you truely are super-concerned about wheel weight, why not go with a 16X7" wheel? Thats the size that comes on the tC spec model. Going one size smaller, for a cast wheel will lower the weight of the wheel by at least 1 more pound + less money per wheel + tires will be less expensive(and theoreticly lighter then a 17" tire). Think about it.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Center Line RPMs 17 x 7
13.5 pounds per wheel @ less than $200 per wheel.
I had a set on my old car; its a nice looking wheel.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Uh.. Storm, she JUST bought a S/C and didnt even put it on yet, now she is looking at lighter wheels... Trust me, the added boost will make you forget you think your wheels are heavy. not sure what your whole caveman and fire thing was about, but the girl already has the S/C in the box. (now she needs it put on!!)

If she would of said I need WINTER wheels, id be more understanding, but her complaint is the weight of the wheels, if you put the S/C on it, I promise you for a few months you wont even be thinking about it. Plus, all your S/C boost upgrades are pretty INEXPENSIVE after the initial S/C price.
The question you need to ask YOURSELF storm, would be if you already had rims (that pretty much are unique) and a S/C in the box - Would you buy new rims again? or get your s/c bolted on for $450 at the dealer? eh caveman? eh? I know what I'd pick.. (well I did it..) But I have the TRD 18" satin 5 spokes, AND a S/C with mods on it, should be pumping out around 225hp - after an EMS (which claudia, that is ENGINE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM) it should crank 250HP no problem.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

really? for forged wheels? damn, thats a crazy good deal. i paid an arm and a leg for mine...
Those look like Rays 57S wheels.. in bronze ??!! Am I right? If so, they are a cast wheel(not forged) , and retail price on a 17" is prob. right about $300-325 ea.
WedsSport SA-90.
Looks like they make a Forged, and a Cast version of that SA-90 wheel

Even still, the 17X7.5 cast wheel is $219 (over budget), from this same forum sponsored seller:
http://www.hopupracing.com/ssrwheels.html
or....
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=197867

not so sure on the weight on those Weds SA-90, contact the merchent.. Steve can tell you. My guess is they are on the heavier side, since the C-one wheels I believe are based off this same wheel design... and for a 17X7.5 they are prob. at least 18-19lbs each.
i'm going crazy

or...

http://www.buddyclub.us/

They make everything from coil-overs, wheels, VTEC controlers for Hondas(they are big in the Honda arena), exhausts, short-shifters, aero kits, etc. Quality company... no junk there.

If you truely are super-concerned about wheel weight, why not go with a 16X7" wheel? Thats the size that comes on the tC spec model. Going one size smaller, for a cast wheel will lower the weight of the wheel by at least 1 more pound + less money per wheel + tires will be less expensive(and theoreticly lighter then a 17" tire). Think about it.
you really dont know much about rims do you.. mostly all your posts in this thread or somewhat off... almost very off..

first off... WEDSPORTS are not a sister company of c-one.. C-ONE is a division of wedsports so when you see a c-one wheel its really a wedsport wheel re-badged as c-one for other markets like UK, AU an northern ASIAN counterparts.. wedports weight 16.7 lbs(classified as 17lbs) for your info since i own a set and weight them myself and it is listed on wedports site.. no need to call anyone just a simple google will get you an answer...

they are forged not cast and most wheels in today market that are light weight are forged.. very little casting is done for quality control and and expense..even big name companies such as volk, bbs, rays, ssr etc dont do muh casting anymore.

and i dont think recomending her a 16 in rim is good advice for the fact that she is going to need a pretty large ___ tire to help fill up the gap on her car and that will either look very bad or give her a decrease in handling since MORE weight is actually being put on from tire/air weight then a 17 inch rims with a better profile tire. not to mention in hard conering she will experience sidewall flex which will make her car feel as if she is loosing control in instances of a hard turn because of the large sidewall the tire will have. not to mention if shes not on stech's for springs or coilovers anything other then that for suspension will make her look like a 4x4.

17" is an ideal size for the car.. even 18 (if u have the power) 16s are for track use or to jump on when ur running drag radials and want to race hard in ur boosted tc.

theres already been a good bunch of suggestions made.. what she needs to do is be smart and google all the 1k+ threads out there on wheel weights and size and pic wtf she wants based on her budget... how ever rota or raze will prevail on cheap low weight wheel.. but like i said...she can pick up rpf1's for 800 bucks with tires used in mint condiion if she just freaking googled.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I don't like google for such things. I posted here on SL because people have my same car, know what looks good and what not, and I rather get the input of scion fellas than boyz who just post up a 60 page spreadsheet of rims I never even heard of.

This is also a thread for those who want to know, more or less, which rims to look at if they later on would like to purchase light/good rims.

And yes, I'm def. going to get 17", if I get any.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Uh.. Storm, she JUST bought a S/C and didnt even put it on yet, now she is looking at lighter wheels... Trust me, the added boost will make you forget you think your wheels are heavy. not sure what your whole caveman and fire thing was about, but the girl already has the S/C in the box. (now she needs it put on!!)

If she would of said I need WINTER wheels, id be more understanding, but her complaint is the weight of the wheels, if you put the S/C on it, I promise you for a few months you wont even be thinking about it. Plus, all your S/C boost upgrades are pretty INEXPENSIVE after the initial S/C price.
The question you need to ask YOURSELF storm, would be if you already had rims (that pretty much are unique) and a S/C in the box - Would you buy new rims again? or get your s/c bolted on for $450 at the dealer? eh caveman? eh? I know what I'd pick.. (well I did it..) But I have the TRD 18" satin 5 spokes, AND a S/C with mods on it, should be pumping out around 225hp - after an EMS (which claudia, that is ENGINE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM) it should crank 250HP no problem.
You really are itching more than me to get the S/C on
It's going in this coming week while I'll be out of the country so they can take their time on her. And yes I'm looking at winter wheels....if I find a set of rims that meet my needs/expectations then I'll be selling my stock rims and buy those instead and use them as winter rims.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCpete
you really dont know much about rims do you.. mostly all your posts in this thread or somewhat off... almost very off..

first off... WEDSPORTS are not a sister company of c-one.. C-ONE is a division of wedsports so when you see a c-one wheel its really a wedsport wheel re-badged as c-one for other markets like UK, AU an northern ASIAN counterparts.. wedports weight 16.7 lbs(classified as 17lbs) for your info since i own a set and weight them myself and it is listed on wedports site.. no need to call anyone just a simple google will get you an answer...

they are forged not cast and most wheels in today market that are light weight are forged.. very little casting is done for quality control and and expense..even big name companies such as volk, bbs, rays, ssr etc dont do muh casting anymore.

and i dont think recomending her a 16 in rim is good advice for the fact that she is going to need a pretty large butt tire to help fill up the gap on her car and that will either look very bad or give her a decrease in handling since MORE weight is actually being put on from tire/air weight then a 17 inch rims with a better profile tire. not to mention in hard conering she will experience sidewall flex which will make her car feel as if she is loosing control in instances of a hard turn because of the large sidewall the tire will have. not to mention if shes not on stech's for springs or coilovers anything other then that for suspension will make her look like a 4x4..
I never said anything about Wedsports being this to C-one, or visa-versa.
Look at the price difference between the cast version vs. forged version of that SA-90 wheel .... its a big price difference, and I'll bet fairly big weight difference as well. If you truely did get those set of SA-90's for $500, they may have been advertised to you as "forged" , but unless you weighted them yourself ... at that price I wouldn't be surprised if they were cast , and not forged( that would have still been 1/2 off retail price for the cast wheel).

More forged wheel out there then cast ?? Not so sure where you got this info dude. Sure, basically all that Volk does is forged , and I believe all/most of what SSR does is the the semi-forged technology(basically forged) , but a large chunk of what is out there today is CAST .... not forged. Even all of what Rays Gram-lights puts out is cast(minus the 57F wheel) , but they charge an arm+leg for those wheels.

Her post was about "lightening up the wheels" , so that also led to my suggestion to the 16X7 wheel , which would cut down the weight of each wheel by at least 1 lbs or more on average(ex. sticking w/ the same style wheel). Sure, wheel gap would change a little, but then again the series of tire would also help fill in the wheel gap a bit, and if she had a 45 or 50 series tire on there... there shouldn't be any worry about tire "flex" or anything.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i do own forged wedsports.. i know cuz my buddy only buys directly from them and doesnt bother with cast wheels that lack strength..plus the nice stamp on the wheel with the all the wheel specs says forged in japanese very clearly and with 50 tire she is going to have flex.. i know im running a 50 and experience it all day taking corners...

Quick Reply: Turn for lightweight!