Notices

Wheel lock pic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 11:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Wheel lock pic?

i've searched and read the posts about wheels locks on the TC, and i know the size i need, but can someone take a pic of thier wheels lock that they got from the dealership for me? on the other threads some say we need the flat ones, and some linked to picks with the conical tip and i was wondering which one it is. I looked on scionpartspeople.com but i don't know if it is just a generic pic of wheel locks. i've seen 3 different types of mcgard wheel locks at pepboys, all 12x1.5, but one was conical, one was rounded with a washer, and the other was flat with a washer. Which one is it? it's 25 bucks there compared to 40+tax at the dealer, or 35 plus shipping from scionpartspeople/
Old 06-29-2006, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My theft deterrant-Stock rims...who wants 'em? J/K

I don't know much about wheel locks, but you get what you pay for. I bought a cheap set at Autozone and they corroded pretty fast. I don't have locks now and no one took my wheels...unfortunately.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

Old 06-30-2006, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how is it theft deterrant. they will do whatever it takes to rob you... so if they know you have a scion tc and wheel locks.. they will go to the dealer.. buy a wheel lock set for $50.. just to get your wheels. i say it's not worth it.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:30 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by chrischoi
how is it theft deterrant. they will do whatever it takes to rob you... so if they know you have a scion tc and wheel locks.. they will go to the dealer.. buy a wheel lock set for $50.. just to get your wheels. i say it's not worth it.
I say most people who want to steal wheels do not have that type of determination... especially for a stock set of wheels. I thought it was worth it, even on my $350 Rotas, plus they generally look nicer since they cover the ends of the studs.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by chrischoi
they might have to buy more than one b/c theres more than just one design.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

i think most car makes out these are making the same type of wheel lock, ive seen mine on pretty much all the cars i see with wheel locks! So these are pretty common which doesnt make me feel good! I might have to switch locks but wanted to go with black lugs? IDK if it would look good? ill see?
Old 06-30-2006, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

eh ... auto manufacturers generally run a few, most cases I've seen are 2-4 different patterns for the car or particular chassis. Now Scion's wheel locks, since production on the cars is pretty limited compared to say a Ford F-150/Expedition, might only run 1 or two patterns.
Sad for us, but generally speaking though they're a pretty good deal I guess. The frequency a pattern changes depends on how many they sell. There again, another reason why Scion patterns are so few.

Aftermarkets are a whole other story
Old 06-30-2006, 02:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you ever really look at two different McGard wheel locks, which are the ones that are usually found on many cars like acura and toyota, there are very slight differences in the grooves like the one posted above. go to the mcgard website and they said there are thousands of different patterns so it'll be hard to just buy a key and take someone's lugs. the one's on the TC is mcgard, but i wanted to buy from pepboys (25bucks) but i don't know what the base looks like, thanks for the pic of the top, but i really needed a pic of the bottom where it seats on the rim... so i guess if anyone can take thiers off to show a side pic, and bottom pic, it'd be greatly appreciated... thanks in advance
Old 06-30-2006, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I know there's at least 3 different scion patterns.