Notices
Scion tC 2G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Alternative to lower body graphics

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Alternative to lower body graphics

I felt the side sides looked a bit bland in white. Found these for $13 at autozone. Yay/nay? (I know some people just don't like this type of thing... I think it looks very sharp on the Mustangs, and with the pony-car-esque lines on the new TC, it seemed like a cool idearrr)

Also breaks up the large empty space between the door and rear wheel, which seems a bit awkward to me.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love any mods under $20...

While you're probably limited to what Autozone has available, but I would like it better if it were closer to the bottom of the door. In any case, it looks good where you have it. Keep up the modding!
Old 04-02-2011, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MightyP
I love any mods under $20...

While you're probably limited to what Autozone has available, but I would like it better if it were closer to the bottom of the door. In any case, it looks good where you have it. Keep up the modding!
Bottom of the door is tricky because of the panel gap behind the door, which either would require having the sticker cover the gap, trapping dirt and eventually losing adhesion, or a nasty horizontal cut in the sticker.

I was surprised that the curvature at the front, and the hash at the back matched the sculpting of the lower-door so well.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree with MightyP on how it could look better lower, but it makes sense what you said.

But it looks awesome! And really looks like it was made for the tC lol
Old 04-03-2011, 02:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK... so, these are generic "strobe stripes." I thought... Hmm, perhaps I should have left another 'strobe' on there to make them a hair longer.

DING!

I added an extra bit.

I think they look a bit better that way.

(I love the somewhat retro 70's/80's lines of the tC. It reminds me of cars that looked cool to me when I was a little kid. If I could find louvered shades for the rear window, they'd be on there in a heartbeat!)

Name:  DSCF0450.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  86.2 KB
Old 04-03-2011, 02:26 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks 10x better! And because it's longer, I think it fits nicer since it's high up
Old 04-03-2011, 04:32 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Enzie
And because it's longer, I think it fits nicer since it's high up
...tee hee...
Old 04-03-2011, 05:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Enzie
Looks 10x better! And because it's longer, I think it fits nicer since it's high up
Yeah, that one little square* made a huge difference. It can't go any further though, because of the clear plastic rock-protection stuff at the leading edge of the wheel wells.

I saw these same ones on a Mustang... basically looked like this:

These particular stripes had the section curved at the front - I could have taken them all the way from the front wheel-wells, but the curve melded so well with the 'scoops' along the bottoms of the doors that I gave it a shot this way, and luckily it came out pretty well. Again, a large part of the appeal is deemphasizing how far forward the door is between the wheel-wells. The smaller rear window and large C-pillar help.

As for "keep on modding..." no, probably not. I have a few short items on my list of things I'll do, but I like this car pretty much the way it is.

I want to add:
- Clazzio seat covers
- Tinted Windows
- Possibly a brushed-aluminum dash kit to cover the cheezy dimpled plastic trim along the midline of the dash and the strips along the doors. I hate the fake-wood stuff (it reminds me of the Buick station-wagon my parents had when I was a kid), and people tend to go a bit overboard with it.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:17 PM

We messed up on the back half of the stripe so this is incomplete until we buy another one, but here is something different for anyone wondering what this would look like.

Thank you, Occam, for letting us know about this striping option!

EDIT:

We got the rest of it put on and here are a few more pictures.

Last edited by iMissLayups; 04-05-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey guys, a little shameless plug here lol, if ya want custom graphics hit me up. I own Sickstick.com and can cut ya just about anything you want. Hit me up, This idea is pretty sick.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by iMissLayups
We messed up on the back half of the stripe so this is incomplete until we buy another one, but here is something different for anyone wondering what this would look like.

EDIT:

Nice! I feel like such a trendsetter!

I bought two sets... I KNEW I'd mess up something. I have a bunch of the stuff left now... What to do with it. Maybe the Ninja needs some striping!

It looks really good with the tinted windows. I'm going to hold off on that until I no longer live in Cali (USAF, so I won't be here long term). Are those the standard wheels? Somehow they look larger than 18"s in the picture. Good job on the install!

I ordered a set of the Scion graphics, and botched the install. I refuse to pay Toy-Yoda $100 to put them on, and just happened to see these while looking for Meguiars quick detailed.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Occam
Nice! I feel like such a trendsetter!

I bought two sets... I KNEW I'd mess up something. I have a bunch of the stuff left now... What to do with it. Maybe the Ninja needs some striping!

It looks really good with the tinted windows. I'm going to hold off on that until I no longer live in Cali (USAF, so I won't be here long term). Are those the standard wheels? Somehow they look larger than 18"s in the picture. Good job on the install!

I ordered a set of the Scion graphics, and botched the install. I refuse to pay Toy-Yoda $100 to put them on, and just happened to see these while looking for Meguiars quick detailed.
Definitely a trendsetter!

Yes, they are the stock 18" wheels haha. I think it's just the angle of the picture. How do you think they would look painted white?

In my opinion, this looks better than the Scion graphic. It breaks up the empty area of the car perfectly without over-doing it. Now if only there was an alternative to the Carbon Fiber B-Pillar.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:15 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I usually think decals, especially major ones, look tacky on any car...

but yours is looking pretty good actually!

maybe someone will get edgy and cut out "scion" or "tc" in it for further customization!

Now if only there was an alternative to the Carbon Fiber B-Pillar.
yea! i like how they have the pillar says "tc"....but my plan for my tc has no carbon fiber in it...which means a CF TC B-pillar would not match...i hope someone comes up with a non-CF one!
Old 04-06-2011, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

looks good.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Was thinking perhaps a thin red pinstripe just below might look nice. I'm great at not leaving well enough alone though. Drew it in w/ Windows Paintbrush just to see how it would look.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:08 PM

Was thinking perhaps a thin red pinstripe just below might look nice. I'm great at not leaving well enough alone though. Drew it in w/ Windows Paintbrush just to see how it would look.
Now that looks like a true racing stripe. I could definitely see it working, but if I were to get the red pinstripe I'd want black rims with a red lip to set it off. That's just my personal opinion though. If you're on the fence, try it and snap a few pictures and if you don't like it I don't think that'd be too hard to remove. Or you could tape a thick red string or something to the car and see how it would look from a distance, because I know it'd look hot up close for sure.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

EDIT:

I love the looks of white cars with tinted windows... With a black interior, you don't have to go very dark to get a nice visual effect, and it's nice to be able to see out of the thing at night!

What % is that?

On a different note, someone should be shot for that stupid dealer stick-on on the rear. What the hell, is it 1995 again?
Old 04-07-2011, 02:22 AM

I love the looks of white cars with tinted windows... With a black interior, you don't have to go very dark to get a nice visual effect, and it's nice to be able to see out of the thing at night!

What % is that?

On a different note, someone should be shot for that stupid dealer stick-on on the rear. What the hell, is it 1995 again?
It's factory tint (the car was shipped from Florida?) but it looks like it's 20%.

And yeah that dealer sticker is going to get removed soon I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Federal codes don't allow for tint below 70%. The dealer likely had it installed by a local window tinter.

Cali doesnt allow it on the front windows, so it'll wait until I move out of state. It's not a big deal for heat here, as it rarely gets above 75 degrees here... Average summer high is 70

I will probably concentrate on the inside - a brushed aluminum dash kit over the kinda hokey looking plastic around the radio, mirror controls and the strip between the dashtop and glovebox would really make the inside look nice... Probably some Clazzio covers too - I had them in the Fit, and they felt terrific, and looked stock.

Last edited by Occam; 04-09-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Went ahead and did it... It's a very thin red stripe, as I wanted it to be very subtle. if I add the Clazzios (not sure if I want leather seats if I move somewhere hotter), I'll do black with red stitching to continue the red accent theme. Restraint is the most important concept with these things, and some small accents of red inside and out will look really good.

Quick Reply: Alternative to lower body graphics