Notices
Scion tC 2G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Blacked out!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 06:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Blacked out!

So here is how I spent my 3 days off from work. Very satisfied witht the results

Pics of the Blacked out headlights with the Red Demon eye effect.

Start by buyng a Coke and cut out the red areas

I used these LEDs from Autozone $6.00 which already come pre wired

Throw them in the oven for 15min at 210 Deg.

Once you open them remove the projector held by 4 screws.

This is how the piece of aluminum looks behind the projector lens

I used silicone to stick the LED to the outter part of the shield

Sanding off all the chrome parts. I suggest using blue painters tape to cover all the gloss black areas to save yourself from so much sanding, I wanted a gloss black all around except the parking lights so it worked good for me.

My Dog giving me the Demon eyes

Here is the finished product, sorry if i skipped the whole prime, paint and headlight sealing process

Reflection in the mirror looks sick

BEFORE

AFTER

Last edited by KILLER; 10-20-2013 at 06:41 AM.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looking MEAN. Seriously...MEAN.

...and so is that dog of yours :D
Old 10-20-2013, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Coolest terminator eyes ever. Props!
Old 10-29-2013, 03:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

those demon eyes are so sick!
Old 10-29-2013, 12:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice work!! Looks really cool. Nice touch with the dog....

The projector pics look just like the Toyota Camry halogens, the Lexux RX350 Bi-Xenon might be a direct drop-in replacement, That would be great since the RX350 projectors are really good true HID projectors.

http://s1233.photobucket.com/user/di...?sort=6&page=1

Last edited by DigitalPro; 10-30-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Awesome job! Looks great
Old 10-29-2013, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DigitalPro
Nice work!! Looks really cool. Nice touch with the dog....

The projector pics look just like the Toyota Camry halogens, the Lexux RX350 Bi-Xenon might be a direct drop-in replacement, That would be great since the RX350 projectors are really good true HID projectors.

The RX350 projector could be a drop in replacement? Please do tell more! I've been wanting to replace my projectors but I'm not entirely satisfied with going with a H1 Morimoto Mini. I'd rather have a D2S projector.

Is the RX350 pretty much a drop in replacement for the Camry? Is the Camry a 3" lens?
Old 10-29-2013, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

looks clean. I have always wanted to put in the angel eyes...just knowing my luck I would mess up my headlights somehow.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by biglilsteve
The RX350 projector could be a drop in replacement? Please do tell more! I've been wanting to replace my projectors but I'm not entirely satisfied with going with a H1 Morimoto Mini. I'd rather have a D2S projector.

Is the RX350 pretty much a drop in replacement for the Camry? Is the Camry a 3" lens?
Looking at the photo thread posted, they look identical minus the solenoid on the bottom of the RX350, both have a 3" front lens. I've seen threads on HID Planet where the H11 Koito projectors where swapped with little modification to the mounting bracket. Since the TC2 has a single internal bracket for the low and High beam you might have to shave a little of the bracket to fit the RX350 solenoid. Since the RX350 doesn't have mounting holes you would have to improvise by drilling holes or using JB Steel Stick to mount. If I had the TC2 Lexus RX350 Bi-X would be my choice!!

Old 10-30-2013, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry, I couldn't look at the picture thread yesterday while I was at work since they block photobucket. But, I got to take a look this morning before I left home and they do look pretty darn similar.

I am a bit intimidated by having to modify brackets and things of that nature, but I have a couple buddies tho did Mini H1 retrofits into a 328is and a MX-6. I'm sure together we could navigate our way through it. In your professional opinion, would an undertaking like this be doable by a few guys with limited experience?
Old 10-30-2013, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry, I couldn't look at the picture thread yesterday while I was at work since they block photobucket. But, I got to take a look this morning before I left home and they do look pretty darn similar.

I am a bit intimidated by having to modify brackets and things of that nature, but I have a couple buddies tho did Mini H1 retrofits into a 328is and a MX-6. I'm sure together we could navigate our way through it. In your professional opinion, would an undertaking like this be doable by a few guys with limited experience?
Diffidently doable for the novice since the 2 projectors are so similar in shape and size. A dremel tool and some metal files (fine) would be perfect for working with the Koito internal bracket. I would first bake open the TC2 headlights and mark the stock projector cutoff shield location on the internal bracket as a reference for the new RX350 installation. You might be surprised on how little you have to remove to get the projector mounted just right.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good deal. Now it's just a matter of if I want to drop the $500 that is needed for this conversion.

$250 for the projectors
$45 for clear lens upgrade
$175 for D2S Morimoto system with XB35 bulbs
$15 for extra rubber butyl glue

OUCH.

Plus I wanted to replace my weak CCFL halo rings with 'moto xbleds which is another $60. Siiiiigh.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya it does add up quickly, but don't let that discourage you, maybe buy a couple items a month and see what other mods to do while you have them open. Don't plan to do it all in one day, try a long weekend. With Bi-X projectors you could change the High Beam to a Daylight running light or Big blinker? Total functionality of the headlights takes it to a new level.

http://s1233.photobucket.com/user/di...?sort=3&page=1

Last edited by DigitalPro; 10-31-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Gahhh, I'm looking at this at work again...gotta go home and see what is in that link. Either way, I'm pumped for this. Should I drop $500 on a sick retrofit, or an Xbox One. Sick retrofit? Xbox One?...Xbox One? Sick retrofit? Decisions.

KILLER, chime in on this! We all see how much you love baking your headlights...do etttttttt.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

LoL baking my headlights has become a piece of cake for me. I can do a halo and and projector shield modification in one day. I really don't want to upgrade the projectors because I don't know if ill keep the TC for more than 2 years and I also need some money for this Christmas. Can't ____ it all away on car parts.
I'm also going to do one last headlight bake tomorrow to fix a few things that I missed.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is my modified projector shield. Nice flicker and decent output using 5, 000k Morimoto bulbs on a 35w ballast.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ahh I so want to do this. Nice lights man! Just ordered me a set from TRS, gonna give it a go.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Which clear lens works with our projectors by the way? I asked TRS a few months ago and they advised me that there wasn't one for our projectors. Looking at your link though, it looks like the STI-R does?
Old 11-05-2013, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Which clear lens works with our projectors by the way? I asked TRS a few months ago and they advised me that there wasn't one for our projectors. Looking at your link though, it looks like the STI-R does?
STI-R is the replacement clear lens for the Camry/TC2 projector, the difficulty is how often the TC changed headlights and projectors, also the scion brand uses so many different projectors depending on the headlight and model.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

-Killer what size halos did you install? Or does someone else know?

Quick Reply: Blacked out!