Notices
Scion tC 2G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

California's Drought and Driveway Car Wash

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 06:55 AM

Default California's Drought and Driveway Car Wash

Hey everyone!
A pretty general question: So I just recently bought my first car (RS 10.0) and after a few weeks, it has been through a lot of use and is pretty dirty. I would really love to give my car a wash, however, I am trying my best to avoid gas station car washes as they are very infamously known to create scratch swirls on the paint (even the touch free ones).

So, my question is, since California is still in its drought, but had some good rain days a few months ago, are we able to hand wash our cars on our driveways? If not, what other alternatives are out there other than gas station washes?

Thanks guys!
Old 07-30-2016, 12:50 AM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

1. Sacramento has a Stage 2 Drought Restriction. Limit sprinklers to 2 days per week. Before 10 a.m. or after 7 p.m. Addresses ending an ODD number may water on Tuesday and Saturday.
Addresses ending with an EVEN number may water on Wednesday and Sunday. They limit you to wash your cars on those days and use a hose shut-off nozzle.

2. You can use a Touchless Car Wash. I own primarily Black vehicles and had no problems with it’s use.

3. You can hand wash your car with a bucket of water. Call your local 311 for additional info.

4. Try the new Waterless Car Wash:

Waterless car wash products, ecotouch waterless wash, griots waterless wash, optimum onr, automotive waterless car wash

Prolong Super Lubricants 17 oz. Waterless Wash and Shine-PSL64017 - The Home Depot

5. Go to a local Hand Wash. In Sacramento, I like the House of Bling Bling on Northgate Blvd. Very popular & busy.
Avoid weekends. Taco trucks across the street. Enjoy some tacos, listen to music and watch your car get hand wash.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

If using automated car wash PLEASE do so early in a.m. The cleaning chemicals applying to HOT automotive paint will cause damage over time, have seen numerous vehicles with noticeable paint damage in same pattern as application sprayer on automated car wash. You have probably seen them around, they look like the paint is defective in a 4 or 5 wide stripped pattern from front to back of vehicle. I personally only hand wash and wax my '04 xA.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:26 AM

So far I've been using Meguiar's waterless wash and wax. Stuff works really well and smells like piņa colada. You'll need two microfibers to clean the car, maybe three. And I end up using glass cleaner like Invisible Glass and Rain-X for the windows.

I picked up the waterless wash and wax from AutoZone but they recently pulled it from the shelves so I got more at Walmart.