Notices
Scion tC 2G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Foglight Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 10:45 PM

Default Foglight Questions

So I am planning on installing some fog lights on my 2011 tc with HID bulbs though I need a little help. I first thought about bringing the car to the dealer and having the fog lights professionally installed, but that would cost 350$...Whereas I can buy the fog lights myself + the HID kit and save some money and gain the experience of installing the lights..

1) I was looking on TRDsparks and there's two Fog Light kits one for 150$ and the other for 235$. Why is there an 85$ price difference between the two ?

2) Is the fog light installation hard? Is removing the stereo to install the relay hard ?

3) What's the best way to install the HID relay harness to the fog lights? Is the cord long enough to route it to the passenger side, and how is it routed to the passenger side fog light?

I have done plenty of google searches and haven't found any answers so I might as well ask them here.

Thanks in advance

Oh and can all this be done WITHOUT removing the front bumper ?
Old 10-19-2011, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok I’m going to give you the best answers I can, and I will go by your numbers.

1) I believe the price difference is the $85 is for the glass part of the fog lights, only, and the $235 is the entire kit; glass part, bumper inserts, wires and switch. However, you can get these for much less. I have them, they are great quality, except the switch backlight is green, so it doesn’t match, but I don’t care that much:
http://www.fastscions.com/scion-tc2-fog-lights-2011.aspx

2) No and no. To put the fog lights in, you just need to take a piece of plastic off the bottom. Use the install PDF on Trdsparks. In the PDF, it does not tell you that you need a stubby screw driver (short) for the passenger side, but trust me you need one! Well, it will make it easier at least. The radio is really easy to get out, and it is also in the PDF on trdsparks.

3) I don’t know, I don’t have HID anything yet, but it may be here:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197853

Last edited by Druidiron; 10-19-2011 at 11:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-19-2011, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1) go to fastscions.com. thats where i ordered mine also

2) no just takes time making sure its done correctly. no pop off the cover, unscrew 4 screws and your there

3) i have hids on mine. youll see the frame of the car when installing the fog lights. the ballasts (mine are the slim ones) fit perfectly in that slot. and wires reach with no problem

i did not remove my bumper and i was fine.

heres a step by step process to help you out a little bit. same thing i followed also.

http://www.trdsparks.com/install/PT413-21110inst.pdf
Old 10-19-2011, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You know, I know so little about HID's that this leads me to a question......
If you run HID's in both the low beams and fogs, do you use 2 sets (4) of ballasts?

Well, I guess you would since you dont want your fogs running 55W 5k or something crazy.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

for HID yes you will need one ballast per light. I have DDM tuning 35w for both my lows and fogs. I put the ballasts in the same spot and just fished the wires down to the fogs. The "lip" between where the hood closes and the wheel well is where I jammed my normal size ballasts, and I bought slims for the fogs which I zip tied in front of the regulars just to make sure they don't move around and cause my lights to flash going over bumps. I only had a hard time with the passenger side fog because of the washer fluid bottle and motor, but other than that Im sure no one would be able to really tell at first glance that its aftermarket. By the way I don't use a relay and I have no problems at all with turning all my lights on at the same time. Stick with 35w in my opinion if your planning on running the setup I have because it will be your "safest" bet. Good luck with your install, unfortunately I had the fogs installed when I bought the car so I cant help you in that department.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:24 AM

Thanks guys for all the replies ! Wow, those fog lights from fastscion is so much cheaper than the ones from trd.. Does the fog lights from fastscion come with everything that the trd kit comes with ?? If it does then I will def buy those ones...haha

For the stereo how do you take off the cover to reveal the screws ? Does it pop off easily? I wouldn't want to pull the wrong way and break it with my luck -_-

Yeah I'll be getting 35w for the fogs not to fond of the 55w. I am going to stick with the relay harness though so I wont be paranoid about destroy the stock harness for the fogs. Right now I have 6000k in my low beams, and I'm thinking about doing 30,000k (pink) for the fogs as I have seen pictures/youtube videos and I really like how they look
Old 10-20-2011, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes same exact pieces from trd site. and they hook into the vehicle without any other modifications needed.

for the stereo just pull toward the rear in all corners. its pretty easy.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:08 AM

Alright thanks man I'll post pics when I get around to doing it.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm curious regarding the "Aftermarket" OEM fog lights having the glass lens cover. From my past experience I had the same kind on my Civic and both the glass lens' cracked, one of them completely cracked and it looked terrible. Has any one experience this so far?
Old 10-20-2011, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have about 5k miles on them and have no problems
Old 10-20-2011, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You are in Huston, where I assume the weather is for the most part warm. My belief was that the fluctuation in weather here in Toronto Canada is what caused my old fogs to crack. The light being halogen does get really hot and when the air temp is freezing or snow/water gets splashed on the lens, this is what may have cause it to crack. I'm assuming here. I'm not a scientist