Notices
Scion tC 2G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

HID fog light kit issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 03:33 AM
SL Member

Default HID fog light kit issue

Just bought another tC today. 2013 with a manual. Well, the kid who had it before me installed an HID fog light kit. I went to turn them on and noticed the switch would stay on. Sometimes it would catch and sometimes it wouldn't. Well, I was turning them off and on trying to get the switch to catch and the left bulb went out. I am assuming I blew the bulb?

Not sure what kit it is. Are there any fuses on these kits I need to be aware of? And also can I just rip out the entire kit and get regular fogs? I'd like to keep the kit if I can figure out what I blew.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You will need to troubleshoot your ballasts and bulbs. Swap left and right ballasts and see if the exact same issue persists or if the issue swaps sides as well.

If the issue swaps sides, you have a defective ballast.
If the issue remains on the same side, you have a defective bulb.

Yes, you can just rip out the HID kit and revert back to halogen bulbs.

The kit is probably a piece of garbage anyway.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:48 PM
SL Member

Okay. I can see one of the ballasts. It looks like its a clean install. They have the ballasts zip tied on and the wires and zip tied and ran really clean and tight. Button is rubbish. So if I rip it all out do I just get a whole new fog kit? Can I buy just the harnesses without the lenses?
Old 11-24-2013, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are you saying the actual switch on your dash is acting up? If that's the case then you might be able to get a new button from your dealer or TRDSparks.

If you pull the kit out, you'll just disconnect the ballasts from your OEM fog light connectors under your hood and also pull the HID bulbs out. Should be easy to just connect the OEM fog light connectors to some H11 halogen bulbs.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:11 PM
SL Member

I actually got in touch with the original owner. Found a service record with his name and number. Ebay fogs. Rims are plastic dip which I'd love to get off. I'm gonna def get the HID crap ripped out and put yellow Nokya halogen. And yes, needs a new switch.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

We have had HID kit in the low beam and fogs since 2011 and have no issues since installing them…
The only mod was to ground the fog light switch so the fogs stayed on when you switched to high beam. A friend of ours who i installed the same kits has burned out the fog light kits 2x before convincing him to ground the switch and no issues since.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tell me more about this "grounding of the fog switch". I have been dying to get my fogs to stay on with high beams so I don't have to worry about my ballasts wearing down too fast. Is it an easy mod?
Old 11-26-2013, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The mod is to take the white and gray wire at the back of the fog light switch and ground it. Please check that wire it's been 4 years since I did it and might be gray white, but either way it's the only wire that with a meter when grounded will show continuity and will show open when you switch to high beam.
Remember to ground the switch side and cover the other end so it does not short out.
All this is behind the fog light switch and should take all of 15min to 1/2hr to do.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:38 PM
SL Member

I'd probably try and salvage the kit if it wasn't rubbish ebay. I really want yellow anyway. I'm just gonna toss it all in the garbage
Old 11-26-2013, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Chrisofhammond
I'd probably try and salvage the kit if it wasn't rubbish ebay. I really want yellow anyway. I'm just gonna toss it all in the garbage
or you can send it all to me. ill pay shipping
Old 11-26-2013, 11:50 PM
SL Member

Bro, it's all yours when I get it out! Just PM so I remember. it could just be the bulb on the right. Switch also won't stay on. But, yea, you can have it for sure.