Notices
Scion tC 2G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

squirrel finders?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 03:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default squirrel finders?

How exactly is this mod done? Is it the same thing as the "eyebrows" that some people put on the outside of their headlights?
Old 12-14-2011, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i know you have to bend a metal object in the headlight upwards which will make the cutoff better
Old 12-14-2011, 05:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-ge...tail-pics.html
Old 12-14-2011, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why the H do they call it Squirrel finders???????

So much talk about these.. I'm starting to wonder if I should bother adjusting mine. Is it just about the cutoff line or is there actual intensifying on the normal beam pattern?

On a side note.. who the heck thinks another car has its brights on if only the projector style lamps are illuminated? is there such a thing as High Beam projectors??
Old 12-14-2011, 03:52 PM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Because they're for seeing that random squirrel on the side of the tree contemplating whether or not he should make a run for it.

Oh and illuminating road signs and such.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do people actually swerve for squirrels? Raccoons and larger sure... but a squirrel.. ha

So if I alter the finder.... I will not get illuminated road signs?
Old 12-14-2011, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TC-Maverick
Why the H do they call it Squirrel finders???????

So much talk about these.. I'm starting to wonder if I should bother adjusting mine. Is it just about the cutoff line or is there actual intensifying on the normal beam pattern?

On a side note.. who the heck thinks another car has its brights on if only the projector style lamps are illuminated? is there such a thing as High Beam projectors??
Luxury cars (and cars with retrofits) have bi-xenon headlamps. There is a servo inside the projector housing that activates and alters the cutoff, making it higher. These cars don't need a separate halogen high-beam like lower-end cars.

And I haven't altered my squirrel finder for the reasons that Jon stated...I like being able to have some scattered light outside the main cutoff just to see possible hazards that may be lurking.

Also, I have a 55w kit and still haven't been flashed once. Makes me think that this mod isn't necessary. Unless doing this mod actually gives you an intensified illumination within the normal beam patter, like you asked about. But that might not necessarily be a good thing. Too much bright light in the foreground reduces your night vision outside out side of the cutoff. This could make it tougher to see those hazards. That IS speculation though
Old 12-14-2011, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lightbulb

Here's a great thread (old) over on HID Planet. LINK
With stock Halogen's running about 1800+ Lumens and HIDs at 3100+ lumens the squirrel finders can produce a ton of glare for oncoming drivers. Lower K HID bulbs will produce less glare and the maximum lumens, but the squirrel finder tab needs to be adjusted slightly. The squirrel finder box can be seen in one of the projector output just above the cutoff line, that's the size at 10+ feet, at 100'-200' and more it could be huge covering the entire lane, producing glare for oncoming driver's.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

DigitalPro and I seem to be on the same page as we've gone through retrofits for the TC. =) Good guy.

The close-up shots provided from the link to Toyota-Nation will not show the true nature of the squirrel finder box.

The glare box will be HIGHLY noticeable for higher profile vehicles, such as semis, pick-up trucks, SUVs. etc. Now...... for safety's sick.... you don't want a semi to be ____ed off and attempt to haul you over to turn those "high beams" off now do ya? hehehe (some even carry emergency flood-like type lights and will shine them on you if you are behind or in front of them)

MYTH: Once squirrel spotters are modified, you can no longer light up signs.

TRUTH: You can modify and remove the squirrel spotters and STILL light up signs to the right and above you. The projector will show a more clear and crisp cut-off line, BUT there is still just enough light glare leaving the projector that it provides a "slight flare" glare to the signs.

I have done the squirrel finder mod on my OEM 08s after getting pulled over by a local police officer and also being flashed multiple times (I used to drive country back roads a lot, so more likely those drivers will notice it VS city drivers who see other lighting fixtures).
Old 12-15-2011, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by biglilsteve
Luxury cars (and cars with retrofits) have bi-xenon headlamps. There is a servo inside the projector housing that activates and alters the cutoff, making it higher. These cars don't need a separate halogen high-beam like lower-end cars.

And I haven't altered my squirrel finder for the reasons that Jon stated...I like being able to have some scattered light outside the main cutoff just to see possible hazards that may be lurking.

Also, I have a 55w kit and still haven't been flashed once. Makes me think that this mod isn't necessary. Unless doing this mod actually gives you an intensified illumination within the normal beam patter, like you asked about. But that might not necessarily be a good thing. Too much bright light in the foreground reduces your night vision outside out side of the cutoff. This could make it tougher to see those hazards. That IS speculation though
Just because people aren't flashing their high-beams at you doesn't mean that your lights aren't bothering them. I, for example, won't flash my high-beams at someone unless it's obvious that they have their high-beams on. Otherwise I'd be flashing my high-beams at people all the time with all the idiots around me with silly 8000K HID kits in their reflector headlight housings.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lightbulb

Here's a link to my mods done to the Depo Halogen projectors w/4300K HID @ 35W. HIDs in our halogen projectors can be done with modifications, granted the wont be as wide but it will work.

My Depo headlight mod thread
Old 12-15-2011, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by topher86
How exactly is this mod done? Is it the same thing as the "eyebrows" that some people put on the outside of their headlights?
I myself just removed the bulb and using a flat head screwdrivers felt around for the squirrel finder edge and push it down very little. After that was done you need to reinstall the bulb and check the output on a flat wall. DONT push it down all the way otherwise you will get a rainbow pattern above the cutoff step. It's kinda trail and error.....