Notices
Scion tC 2G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Train Horns???

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 07:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Train Horns???

Has anybody installed em yet?? if so where did yo mount them?! Post Up Pix!
Old 06-08-2012, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member

Why?
Old 06-08-2012, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cuz its awesome to scare ppl with it haha
Old 06-08-2012, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No, It's assinine and dangerous.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

it is awesome to scare people with! haha plus if you put in an exhaust and have that deep mean sounding car do you want a dinky a** horn? NOPE!! hahaha
Old 06-08-2012, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, all fun and games til someone freaks out, loses control and hits a telephone pole.

Let me break it down further. When people hear a train horn, they pay attention. That's the desired effect as trains are generally bad to collide with.

Further, when people hear a train horn coming from an area which shouldn't have a train, they tend to freak, as demonstrated several times on various youtube videos.

Using a train horn in this manner is likely to cause the other driver to lose control of his vehicle. It's very simple really. You are not driving a train. The use of that type of horn is a very unreasonable use and most likely illegal.

Here's a scenario for you. You get ____ed off that someone just cut you off (come on, that's really the reason behind this, right? You can be honest...), or you are simply "warning" someone of your presence. You blast your train horn. Other driver totally freaks out thinking he needs to avoid a train where one should not be, momentarily loses control by grossly overcompensating, and causes a major accident, and someone dies.

Can you say negligent homicide and possibly even manslaughter (I think a case could be made for such actions being reckless) at worst.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Basebllstar
Yeah, all fun and games til someone freaks out, loses control and hits a telephone pole.

Let me break it down further. When people hear a train horn, they pay attention. That's the desired effect as trains are generally bad to collide with.

Further, when people hear a train horn coming from an area which shouldn't have a train, they tend to freak, as demonstrated several times on various youtube videos.

Using a train horn in this manner is likely to cause the other driver to lose control of his vehicle. It's very simple really. You are not driving a train. The use of that type of horn is a very unreasonable use and most likely illegal.

Here's a scenario for you. You get ____ed off that someone just cut you off (come on, that's really the reason behind this, right? You can be honest...), or you are simply "warning" someone of your presence. You blast your train horn. Other driver totally freaks out thinking he needs to avoid a train where one should not be, momentarily loses control by grossly overcompensating, and causes a major accident, and someone dies.

Can you say negligent homicide and possibly even manslaughter (I think a case could be made for such actions being reckless) at worst.
While your augment has good intentions, it’s simple not a valid one. Yes you can scare people and they could lose control but tell me the rate of accidents that are caused someone hearing something “loud”? More times than not its people looking at things other than the road. Your saying that everyone who hears some loud would Jerk the wheel. I don’t think this is the case. You can take any horn above 100db and scare people when they don’t expect it. If I cut some one off, I’m expecting to get honked at. Lots of semi horns are just as loud as the 160-180db air horn kits.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used to drive an xB Gen1 and I cant tell you how many times I got cut off by huge semis and other large vehicles and when I honked there was absolutley no purpose for it because they didn't hear me... however when I installed the train horns that was deffinatly not a problem anymore hahaha

if train horns ain't your thing don't install them = ]
Old 06-08-2012, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Basebllstar
No, It's assinine and dangerous.
Agreed, why the hell would anybody want to do something that idiotic is beyond me.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by r2d2michael
While your augment has good intentions, it’s simple not a valid one. Yes you can scare people and they could lose control but tell me the rate of accidents that are caused someone hearing something “loud”? More times than not its people looking at things other than the road. Your saying that everyone who hears some loud would Jerk the wheel. I don’t think this is the case. You can take any horn above 100db and scare people when they don’t expect it. If I cut some one off, I’m expecting to get honked at. Lots of semi horns are just as loud as the 160-180db air horn kits.
You my good sir must not have seen the videos on Youtube Basebllstar is talking about, train horn is excessive no matter how you look at it. Maybe most people wouldn't jerk the wheel, but being scared by something like that alone is a distraction and has more of a chance of causing an accident or ____ing off the other driver resulting in something worse (Road Rage, it exist) than getting his point across of his presence. And the Semi example does make sense but don't you notice the bigger the vehicle, the bigger the horn? There is a reason for that right?

Last edited by Caprice0083; 06-08-2012 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 06-08-2012, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

...so your saying because the car isn't the size of a semi it shouldn't need to have a horn that is loud...?

it's whatever... the neighborhood kids love it! people who get butthurt over someone having train horns deserve to be honked at hahaha it's just for fun peeps relax....

NOW... does this mean nobody has done it to their tc2 yet...?
Old 06-08-2012, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was thinking about putting one on for fun too cuz i thought it was kinda neat. I think its funny as hell when people get so p1ssy over the interent with something thats preety innocent lol No need to throw a fit imho
Old 06-08-2012, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think its good to have to honk at people who drive and talk or text. Or those who cut you off for no reason.

Sent from my HTC Incredible 2.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea I'm trying to figure out where I can put them... Once I order everything Imma post a Build Thread for y'all!
Old 06-09-2012, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Caprice0083
You my good sir must not have seen the videos on Youtube Basebllstar is talking about, train horn is excessive no matter how you look at it. Maybe most people wouldn't jerk the wheel, but being scared by something like that alone is a distraction and has more of a chance of causing an accident or ____ing off the other driver resulting in something worse (Road Rage, it exist) than getting his point across of his presence. And the Semi example does make sense but don't you notice the bigger the vehicle, the bigger the horn? There is a reason for that right?

yes i have have seen them...hell i filmed doing it to people as i had a 180db horn in my van. and not once did it make someone lose control when i did wile driving. and i did it alot.....i used it so much i had to get a 10gal air tank so i wouldnt run the compresser into the ground by running it all the time.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Cesar
...so your saying because the car isn't the size of a semi it shouldn't need to have a horn that is loud...?
EXACTLY, the bigger the vehicle, the bigger the danger. They should be heard.

Originally Posted by Cesar
it's whatever... the neighborhood kids love it! people who get butthurt over someone having train horns deserve to be honked at hahaha it's just for fun peeps relax....
Kids love it? If you're old enough to drive, why the heck do you care about impressing kids? And Butthurt? I'm pretty sure something loud enough to hurt your ears and scare you would make anyone mad, use the money for a better mod for your car friend.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes i have have seen them...hell i filmed doing it to people as i had a 180db horn in my van.
And you're proud of that because?

and not once did it make someone lose control when i did wile driving. and i did it alot.....i used it so much i had to get a 10gal air tank so i wouldnt run the compresser into the ground by running it all the time.
SO you were that much of a douche, nice info! Just because you didn't make anyone lose control of their car doesn't mean you don't run the risk. You are not a prime example by far.

Last edited by Caprice0083; 06-09-2012 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Grammar and mispelling
Old 06-09-2012, 04:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In all fairness the OP was not asking for people’s opinions on the matter of using a train horn. So why come into a thread and start bashing him?
Old 06-09-2012, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Caprice0083
In all fairness the OP was not asking for people’s opinions on the matter of using a train horn. So why come into a thread and start bashing him?

Truth!
Old 06-09-2012, 08:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is true, but its a forum. When you ask for others advice, you have to be open to someone to disagree or have objection to what you want to do or ask advice over.

Quick Reply: Train Horns???