Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2007 TC help needed please

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 09:23 PM

Question 2007 TC help needed please

I am looking for some advise or knowledge if anyone has already had this issue and how they fixed it. This is a bit long but please understand I am giving you everything that has happened in the course of a few months to where I am now. TIA

In April my clutch was giving me issues so I took it to a shop for a week, they coudnt duplicate the issues so I picked it back up. Changed the slave cylinder myself to see if that was the issue. It wasn't, so I took it to another shop and they said it was the clutch but they wanted 3000.00 to change it. I didnt have them do the work and instead took it home again. Knowing that I can get a clutch for 400.00 and 8 hours of work I was going to find someone else who could do the work for a fraction of the price. I also took it to Scion since my car is undergoing an oil test by Toyota due to an engine recall and asked them to look at it as well. They didn't have any clue what was going on with it so I did more research and found by driving and reading that it was my clutch that was going out. So I found a shop that did the work for 500.00 including all parts. He had it for 2 weeks before he was completed with the change over but during the time he claims my bell housing was cracked on the tranny and I needed a new one. Now mind you I had 2 other shops and Toyota dealership look at my car and not once did anyone say my bell housing was cracked. So whatever, I bought another tranny and took it to him. He had it another week to put in the tranny. Once I got my car back, the car didn't run right. It won't stay running and the shifting was really wacky. I ended up taking it back to the guy and found that i needed to swap out my tranny as it was bad again and he put on 2 more clutches before he got it right. Prior to taking it back to the shop, we took off the air control module and cleaned it up, seemed to help a bit but when the car is at running temp, it doesn't idle right and will die at a stop no matter if the clutch is in or out. Now the shifting is where it used to be finally but the car will not stay running. I have looked at all the vacuum hoses and all are connected and no cracks. There are no codes being thrown at any time, and it doesn't stall prior to dying. The normal idle for this car has always been between 7-900 rpms and drops to maybe 600 underload. Now it is at 500-700 rpms and drops to either dying or 3-400 rpms underload. Any suggestions or has anyone else experienced this issue? The car only has 116k miles on it.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My only suggestion would be to never go back to that guy again. He was cheap, but you get what you pay for...
Old 10-06-2015, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by JordanOfGilead
My only suggestion would be to never go back to that guy again. He was cheap, but you get what you pay for...

The problem is resolved. After doing the oil test with Scion dealership and told it passed, i took it on a road trip to AZ, on the way the motor ate itself and i no longer have the car now. never did figure out any of the problems i was having with it.