Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2011 Scion tC CEL & Traction Light appeared; Tsudo S2 Exhaust & AEM CAI

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 09:56 PM

Default 2011 Scion tC CEL & Traction Light appeared; Tsudo S2 Exhaust & AEM CAI

Hey everybody, so I hope this is the correct forum, I'm new to this forum. Anyhow today at school I left campus to get some food, when I got back in my car and started it up, the CEL and Traction Control light appeared. I noticed at times my car was shaking a little bit. I installed my AEM CAI in the fall and never had a problem with it. I installed the Tsudo S2 caback exhaust about a month ago and up until now I have no had any problems with it. I'm not too tech savvy when it comes to the engine and troubleshooting so any help would be great! Should I take unhook the negative terminal on my battery for 15-20 min and let it reset or should I reset the ECU? Thanks everyone!
Old 02-06-2013, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I recall reading somewhere else on this forum before about AEM sensor not working right and causing the symptoms you just described. Never had the problem myself so can't help you any more than that unfortunately.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes from what I read too, it sounds like the AEM intake is to blame. something with your MAF sensor. When you installed it, did you reset the car's ECU via the battery? you disconnected the battery for at least 10 mins, then after the install you reconnected and then let it idle for roughly 15 mins BEFORE you did any test driving?
That is a standard procedure for air intake swaps, and it's the only thing I can think of besides the AEM just being lame and having permanent problems communicating with your ECU via the MAF sensor...

search the AEM intake problems for our cars. I'm sure you'll find something others have had.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had this same problem when i maid my intake for my Tc, The code is caused by a high voltage reading coming from your MAF. (In other words it thinks its geting to much oxygen) this throws a code that turns off your traction control. I have no idea why it turns off your traction control but it does... The error code should be: 103, Mass air flow sensor reading high out put, or some thing like that. any ways check to make sure your MAF is sealed tightly, and if it is I know AEM's CAI's had falty relays since they are "electronically tuned" so if this is the case contact AEM and they should sort out the problem for you. Good luck man!
Old 02-08-2013, 03:55 AM

Thank you for the responses everybody. So last night after I got home from school I decided to disconnect the negative terminal on my battery for 30+ mins. I connected it back and let the car idle for 20 minutes or so. On start up the CEL and Traction control disappeared so I'm hoping I may have reset the ECU and cured the problem? Any thoughts >.<
Old 02-08-2013, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sdub22
Thank you for the responses everybody. So last night after I got home from school I decided to disconnect the negative terminal on my battery for 30+ mins. I connected it back and let the car idle for 20 minutes or so. On start up the CEL and Traction control disappeared so I'm hoping I may have reset the ECU and cured the problem? Any thoughts >.<
If no more codes are given then I think you will be just fine, if the lights appear again I would contact AEM's customer support.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Had the same issues without the Traction Control light coming on, but had the check engine light. The ECU reset works for a few weeks at a time, but mine kept coming back. Even after I contacted AEM and got a replacement ETI unit, still had same issues.
I ended up uninstalling it, and havent had any lights or issues since, even after the addition of an ARK exhaust last fall.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SJA4444
Had the same issues without the Traction Control light coming on, but had the check engine light. The ECU reset works for a few weeks at a time, but mine kept coming back. Even after I contacted AEM and got a replacement ETI unit, still had same issues.
I ended up uninstalling it, and havent had any lights or issues since, even after the addition of an ARK exhaust last fall.
Sounds like you should just sell your intake, and try getting a different one from a different brand man.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh it was promptly returned and refunded. Props to AEM for at least having good customer service. I have loved their intakes on previously owned cars, but I have to say I really believe they missed the mark with this one.
I still haven't decided if I want to deal with another intake fiasco. My problem seemed to stem from running to rich and bogging down with the AEM installed, I am wondering if my car specifically, or our cars in general (as so many people have complained about really low and rough idles) have a real issue with A:F mixtures and tight tolerances when it comes to making the engine happy.
Love that ARK exhaust though, long overdue to write a review on that one. And no codes/issues/complaints after installing that one.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SJA4444
Oh it was promptly returned and refunded. Props to AEM for at least having good customer service. I have loved their intakes on previously owned cars, but I have to say I really believe they missed the mark with this one.
I still haven't decided if I want to deal with another intake fiasco. My problem seemed to stem from running to rich and bogging down with the AEM installed, I am wondering if my car specifically, or our cars in general (as so many people have complained about really low and rough idles) have a real issue with A:F mixtures and tight tolerances when it comes to making the engine happy.
Love that ARK exhaust though, long overdue to write a review on that one. And no codes/issues/complaints after installing that one.
That's good man, and if I where you I would go with the afe CAI because it doesn't mess with the way the Maf reads the airflow. No extra electronics, just good old piping, and a pod filter. And people allways complain about the low idle but I haven't ever seen my car drop below 600 or start to shutter. I guess it's just hit or miss with these cars. And the cars air fuel ratios can't be to sensitive considering I maid my own Sri and haven't any idle issues or engine lights come on.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:19 PM

Hey all, so my CEL went off again, I contacted AEM and they told me to find out the code, I headed down to my mechanic as autozone won't read codes for us here in Cali. Anyhow I got to my mechanic's and he was closed. I did some troubleshooting and read up about the gas cap being loose. So I was like wtheck I'll try it. Tightened my gas cap and turned on my car and viola! it shut off! I'm hoping this was the problem -_____- newb mistake, fingers crossed that this was the problem haha...
Old 02-15-2013, 07:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sdub22
Hey all, so my CEL went off again, I contacted AEM and they told me to find out the code, I headed down to my mechanic as autozone won't read codes for us here in Cali. Anyhow I got to my mechanic's and he was closed. I did some troubleshooting and read up about the gas cap being loose. So I was like wtheck I'll try it. Tightened my gas cap and turned on my car and viola! it shut off! I'm hoping this was the problem -_____- newb mistake, fingers crossed that this was the problem haha...
Ha ha nice