Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Anyone experiencing low RPM's at Stops??

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm completely happy with my 2013 tC 6 speed much better than my 07.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-04-2020 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 11-15-2012, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SJA4444
I have the same issue as well. [RS7]. Car was fine initially. Has gotten progressively worse as well. Completely agree with the "shaking" description. The engine is just idling way too low and rough for my comfort. It is that same sensation you get right before a stall out or like when you almost run out of gas in an engine. At next Scion checkup plan on bringing this up
Of note, this same issue ( I believe) caused me to send back my AEM CAI, as the car would actually stall out on occasion as the RPMs dropped too low.
Its completely annoying, I have no idea why they have the car set to idle that low, and why the A:F ratios seem to be sooooo tight and picky
I just got this e-mail from the service manager at my local Toyota dealership (not the one where I leased the car). She's been really helpful so hopefully we can get this resolved somehow:

"My shop Foreman is looking into this for you. We should know something this week I know he has been on the phone with the Tech line."

Sounds like I got the ball rolling. Glad I'm not the only one with the issue.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by clickclickw00t
In gear (Reverse, Drive) and stopped with foot on brake and a/c/ off : car shakes with RPM hovering around 500rpm
In neutral with a/c/ off: no shaking

in gear with a/c/ on: little bit of shaking but not much

When the car is cold and warming up, the RPM is steady at about 750-1000 RPM and no ABSOLUTELY no shaking in gear. AS soon as I've been driving for 10 minutes and the car warms up, shakes.
Are you an automatic transmission or a standard?
Originally Posted by clickclickw00t
I just got this e-mail from the service manager at my local Toyota dealership (not the one where I leased the car). She's been really helpful so hopefully we can get this resolved somehow:

"My shop Foreman is looking into this for you. We should know something this week I know he has been on the phone with the Tech line."

Sounds like I got the ball rolling. Glad I'm not the only one with the issue.
I'll keep checking back to see what develops.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BrokenTusk
Are you an automatic transmission or a standard?

I'll keep checking back to see what develops.
I have an automatic.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does everyone with this "shaking" Issue own an automatic tC2? Could be an issue with the tranny.

Might help your dealer contact narrow down the problem to make a TSB.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-04-2020 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 11-17-2012, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BrokenTusk
Does everyone with this "shaking" Issue own an automatic Tc2? Could be an issue with the tranny. Might help your dealer contact narrow down the problem to make a TSB.
I'm almost positive its the transmission, but I'm not a Toyota tech or a mechanic by any means. I just want the problem solved. The reason I leased a brand new car is so I don't have to worry about paying for stuff like this to get fixed. However, I also don't have the time to be going to the dealership
3 or 4 times a month to experiment. If they want to give me another equal mileage tC2 without this issue, that would be fine with me. However I refuse to pay $10k over 3 years if the car feels like its going to die every time I come to a stop. You can imagine my frustration lol.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-04-2020 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 11-19-2012, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol yup, i can imagine your frustration all right.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member

Depending in your mileage- could be your ICV (Idle control valve).

My wife was having the same issue on her Toyota- I pulled it apart- throttle body and cleaned the ICV really good as well as the intake ports while I was in there-
put it back together- and it was a very smooth idle. Prior to the idle- it was starting up very rough- then once on, it would almost stall the idle was so low.

Worth a shot- I was sure this was one of those "going to be a lot of money take it to the shop" fixes but 1 week later it's still 100%.

This car has 80k on it- so if you have significantly less (i.e.- a 2011 or 2012 Scion tC) it might not be the culprit.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-04-2020 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 11-19-2012, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well we can eliminate one thing, I have a manual, and have the same shake. Its definitely not the tranny. I like the idea of the ICV, but I wonder how to tie that in with the fact that mine has a propensity to have the shaking issue at different times, sometimes after idling still for a while, sometimes after dropping out of gear to neutral.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone get answer to this yet !? Really annoyed with this rpm drop crap ... I have an auto & feel like its going to stall
Old 01-16-2013, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Be interesting to know how many miles since your last oil change in case it is a friction issue caused by low oil pressure at idle ... also might want to check spark plugs and type and brand of gasoline used. If it is misfiring or just idling really low ... tach reading?

If you have an automatic you might try putting it in neutral when you're coming to a stop.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Last week was my 2nd oil change ... I use 87 regular Sunoco & I don't want a temporary fix to this I think we would all like Toyota to fix it since its a problem with so many ppl
Old 01-17-2013, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was thinking if it still idles low in neutral then it is not a transmission problem but in fact the engine. Which if it is it would make sense since they manufactured in mass quantities you'd have the same problem in all of them. Is there an idle stop on the throttle body or air screw that can be set manually, if so then make a slight adjustment to raise it a little. You would think in this day and age they could at least make the idle work properly. I mean a simple servo motor cam throttle stop could hold it so steady at whatever it needs to be at without an air valve clicking open and closed all the time to hold it steady making all that weird noise in the engine compartment.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I work for Penske. I will talk to the service manager tomorrow to see what can be done about this and take it from there. If he doesn't know then I will talk to Roger himself to see what he tells me. Toyota needs to fix this.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:40 AM
5 Year Member

Hi guys, I was researching about this same issue and found your thread.

I've a manual 6-spd 2011 tC and somewhat recently installed an AEM cold air intake. Before I did that I never paid much attention to the RPMs but if I remember correctly it's always been dropping kind of low when you shift to neutral and is going up and down between 500 and 800 maybe.

A couple weeks after the intake was installed, one day, I barely was able to start the car in the morning and get going. It didn't even go over 1000 rpm without hitting the throttle (where normally the engine starts with about 2000rpm and goes down slowly). It was cold and humid, so I blamed that to be the issue. The car was fine later that day.

Now every once in a while I notice those really low drops when I come to a stop, but it's not only when the engine is cold. Even after a long drive I just had the same thing again. Got off the freeway and hit the clutch, the RPMs drop to 250-350, almost stalls and then usually go up to 500 again. The car has only stalled once or so when pulling into the driveway in neutral.

I've the feeling that the behavior is affecting all the newer tCs but with a CAI it gets even worse, it kind of multiplies the effect.
My tC doesn't even have 20k miles yet, so I don't think there's much to clean really, but worth checking. I will also try bypassing the AEM module and just go back to the plain factory MAF in the AEM CAI. We'll see if that improves things. Same that DragonR reported in the last post here: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=214507

Has anyone gotten new information about this yet? Please keep the thread going.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you guys were running a scan gauge you could tell how much fuel was being injected when the idle drops that low.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm still having the problem but its gotten way worst. There are 2 times its really bad:

1) when I come to a stop quickly, my RPM drops down to 400ish as I'm stopping, then comes back to around 500 and I get the awful shaking.

2) in traffic. OH DAMN its so bad in traffic. I'm in New Orleans right now and with all the super bowl traffic I find myself wanting to walk instead of drive my 1 year old car.

The last time I took it to a dealership, they blamed it on the fact that I have a 0ga wire for my sub running "very close to the ECU, causing the problem". I called bull____ on it but they said there was nothing they could do. I really really doubt that a THICK insulated 0ga wire could be causing it. Anybody with a system in their car having the same problems, or are some of you having it with no extra wiring? I really really want to get this resolved somehow. I have no idea what it is. Had some body work on my car done this week due to an accident (armored truck DESTROYED me rear passenger quarter panel) and I drove a rented altima coupe. Man that thing idles so nicely.

Any of you been to the your respective dealerships yet? let me know what you found out..
Old 02-03-2013, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member

I have the same low idle issue when come to stop. My is 2012, auto about 15k miles, no mod. My 04 Honda idles better than this car.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by joonix
I have the same low idle issue when come to stop. My is 2012, auto about 15k miles, no mod. My 04 Honda idles better than this car.
Anybody know how to go about gettin this resolved? I'm so tired of gettin the run around from Toyota. Seems like a bunch of people have this problem not just me!!
Old 02-10-2013, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, so this is getting out of hand now. This is my 2nd Winter with my 2011 AT tC & its the first time this has happened. When its snowing or raining out & I come to a stop & hold the brake
down my rpms drop to about 450ish & bounce back pretty high almost 1000+ rpms sometimes & when that happens the car actually moves b/c the rpm bounce made the brakes slip from the rotors.

Anyone else experience this?

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-04-2020 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge

Quick Reply: Anyone experiencing low RPM's at Stops??