Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Catback exhaust

Old 09-26-2014, 08:34 PM

Default Catback exhaust

Hey guys I was looking into getting a catback exhaust system. I was wondering with a catback exhaust system, what exactly would I be replacing? I was looking at the Greddy RS and some sites say it comes with 2 pieces and some say 4 pieces. Thanks.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your exhaust system flows like this: engine > header > s-pipe > mid-pipe > muffler.

A cat-back would replace all of the exhaust after the s-pipe.

As far as number of pieces, it's irrelevant. They all bolt up together to use your same exhaust locations. GReddy's site says 4 pieces. My best guess is 3 pieces of actual exhaust piping and a silencer that can be inserted into the tail pipe. Someone who actually owns this exhaust can confirm.

Don't really recommend it though, especially if you aren't going turbo. This exhaust has a very large diameter. An advantage is that you get a couple extra HP at the top of your rev band, but comes at a cost of power in the lower rev ranges. Will more than likely make your car feel mushy anywhere under 3-4k rpm (where you spend most of your time anyway).

In addition to that, it's damn expensive...800 on an exhaust for this car? You can get the same sound and look out of a Tsudo S2 and save many hundreds of dollars.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:44 PM

What exactly is in the s-pipe and mid-pipe? Is that where the resonator is located and will I be replacing that? I'm just confused on exactly what I'm getting.

Yeah that's what I heard. That is why I'm going to wait for the new exhaust they have, the Greddy Revolution exhaust. I heard that is going to have a smaller piping which is better than the RS for N/A cars.

I heard that Greddy quality is better than Tsudo though?
Thanks.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The s-pipe is just a short length of piping that sits between the bottom of the header and the mid-pipe. The mid-pipe is the longest portion of pipe down the center of the car that includes those resonators. You're right, that's the piece you'll be replacing along with the rear muffler piece.

As far as GReddy quallity vs Tsudo, don't believe the hype. I owned a Tsudo and it had perfect fitment from front to back and had zero rasp in its exhaust note. It is also made of stainless steel just like the GReddy.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:02 PM

So when they say 2 pieces cause other websites said 2 pieces for Greddy are they counting s and mid pipe as one and rear section as the other? Mid-pipe is that long piece right and am I getting new resonators too?

Do you know if I will pass smog if I change out my exhaust? I know I should be fine since I'm keeping the cat, but laws in California are strict haha

How does it sound compared to Greddy? Is it loud?
Old 09-27-2014, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cat-back exhausts don't replace the s-pipe. Remember, I said that a cat-back replaces everything AFTER the s-pipe. The two pieces of the exhaust will just simply be the mid-pipe and the muffler section.

From a smog perspective, I'm not the right one to ask since I'm an east-coaster. I know there are plenty of folks in CA that have cat-back exhausts though.

Most cat-backs will sound pretty similar. They are all loud. That's why I got rid of my Tsudo in favor of the TRD with a Dezod header.