Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

clutch issue? i dunno

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 10:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default clutch issue? i dunno

yesterday on my way home i was cruising at about 40mph coming up to a stop light to turn, bout half a football field back i put it into neutral and cruised up to the light.

when the light turned green i went to go to put it into first and it seemed to like get stuck halfway into the gear, i put it back into neutral and tried it again and got stuck one more time, at that point someone was honking at me so i tried just giving it a little gas

it started to grind and as soon as i heard it i let off the gas then the gear slipped in and then i started to go

its happened a couple times before, once on like the 3rd day i had it where it seems like it gets stuck but i put it back into neutral and then it usually goes in easier but sometimes its like i really have to push it in... i dont think i've even hit 800 miles yet or just did

just curious if its somehow normal for a new car or with my luck with cars, i wouldnt be suprised if something is already wrong with my gear box

this is like the 2nd time i've ever grinded a gear (thought i'd throw it in as not sure if you guys might ask if im constantly grinding the gears or something)
Old 03-18-2011, 12:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i been hearing a few complaints similar to this with the newer tc's....dont know whats going on...i would take it to the dealer and have a tech drive it and see what they think....cause i think the break in period is 500 miles...but thats for the motor....the tranny should be silky smooth..but then again..the first gens were the same way
Old 03-18-2011, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If it happens again and you are stopped put it in reverse so the first gear synchro will open then put it into first.

Also are you letting out on the clutch when in neutral and coasting to the stop using just brakes, then you are trying to put it into 1st gear and that is when it is unhappy? If so then you may have been fooling the tranny into thinking you are moving and you will find the second gear synchro open instead.

To correct just apply the clutch and down shift into the gear that would be appropriate, you never need to let up on the clutch unless you intend to accelerate; just no first gear until you come to a full stop. My wife had driven many manuals but it was almost 15 years ago and now she had all sorts of little quirks and problems when operating both our tC and the WRX.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like my car LOL it's an 05 but still, maybe I'm due for a clutch.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:47 PM

put it in neutral, let the clutch out, and then reengage and it should slip in fine. mine did it the first couple thousand miles. very rare and more predictable now
Old 03-18-2011, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by stasis
put it in neutral, let the clutch out, and then reengage and it should slip in fine. mine did it the first couple thousand miles. very rare and more predictable now
This is exactly the same for me.
I have 4k now and it hardly happens. Still happens though...
Old 03-19-2011, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

@rick: Yes I did let the clutch out while cruising up to the light and just using brakes. Next time it happens ill see if I can put it in 2nd. But I was stopped for like 15 seconds just sitting in neutral before I went to throw it in gear.

@stasis: if u reread wut I said I did say I threw it into first, got stuck, tried to put it back into first and still wouldn't go. Applied some gas and it grinded.

I just don't know if this is Sorta normal or wut. Cuz with wut stasis said has happened before and just putting in neutral and putting it back into gear has fixed it. This is the first time that doing that didn't solve it. so next time ill just try 2nd
Old 03-19-2011, 03:12 AM

that happened to me a couple of times already, but it has been a while since the last time the car did that. what i did i was to put in second or any gear then it went smoothly to first gear. but as i said, it was a while ago, right now looks fine. but it did bother me when that happened.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So is it bad to actually cruise up to the light in neutral? I thought it was bad to use the gearbox to slow down constantly. Should I leave it in first and just leave the clutch in and stop that way?

I guess id actually like some manual transmission tips.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it still happens to me too... i think mostly when im in full stop. so sometimes i start in 2nd gear...
Old 03-19-2011, 07:39 AM

it got stuck how? as in it wouldnt go all the way into the gear slot, or it grinded as you let the clutch out. It seems pretty common with these cars to get a 1st and reverse lockout wall while breaking in.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it wouldnt go all the way...
Old 03-26-2011, 06:51 PM

DONT release the clutch pedal when halfway into gear, it WILL grind for sure....

You just need to go into neutral then release the clutch so the shaft will turn, then try again. Press the clutch pedal, put it in 1st gear. Works everytime. If it doesnt work, just put it in second gear, then first should go easy.

My 2011 tC is doing that.
My acura integra was doing that even at 180k miles, this is normal operation.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WD0100
that happened to me a couple of times already, but it has been a while since the last time the car did that. what i did i was to put in second or any gear then it went smoothly to first gear. but as i said, it was a while ago, right now looks fine. but it did bother me when that happened.
It happened to me again, and I tried your way and it worked!
When it doesn't go into the 1st gear, just put it into 2nd gear and then back to 1st gear.
This is a lot easier and faster than putting into neutral and letting off the clutch.