Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Descendant Intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Descendant Intake

I just got off the phone with descendant and they said that they should have a Short Ram Intake ready in 2-3 weeks and the pricing would be around $169.

Now the debate is whether to get the Injen SRI now while the promo @ autoanything is going on or to wait for descendant's offering as it is about $15 cheaper than Injen's.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

For anyone in Canada, I've called autoanything to see what the rates would be to ship to Kingston.

For the short ram intake...$181 + 75 (includes brokerage fee)

Total = $257.27 USD

I'm thinking I might wait to see what Descendant offers.

donsun, do you know if it will be similiar in style? i.e. same tube diameter, and setup at the MAF?
Old 03-23-2011, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think they were releasing any details yet. they did take my e-mail and told me that they would send me an e-mail with details once it was ready.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a prototype of their SRI, and even though its just a prototype, it's awesome. So i can't wait for their final product to be released :D!
Old 03-24-2011, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

are you allowed to disclose information about it? how does it compare with the injen that's already released? sizing information? pictures?
Old 03-24-2011, 02:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know if i can or not, i'll give rob a call tomorrow morning, and get back to you guys ASAP O:
Old 03-24-2011, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay, someone sell me on an intake. Papa Bear already highlighted the potential downfalls of a CAI and I've always been skeptical of a SRI (without a hood scoop). Air flow isn't very restrictive with the stock intake and can be almost completely eliminated with a K&N drop in filter for like $40. Why would I drop almost $200 on one of these?
Old 03-24-2011, 03:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I read somewhere that any open box (CAI/SRI) is better than a filter in a box, because theres more air to be accessed or something like that... Dont quote me on it, just something i read on another forum when trying to decide between SRI and CAI
Old 03-24-2011, 07:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my injen hasnt shipped yet (back order, supposed to ship out on 29th) so im thinking about cancelling that and going descendant SRI with their exhaust...

would you say good idea since you have both on yours enzie?
Old 03-24-2011, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by goose_119
my injen hasnt shipped yet (back order, supposed to ship out on 29th) so im thinking about cancelling that and going descendant SRI with their exhaust...

would you say good idea since you have both on yours enzie?

If you have to wait until the 29th, personally... I would cancel the injen order and wait the 1-2 weeks for descendants final versions to be released, that way you can atleast have more of a choice. But its completely up to you, injens looks really nice and I don't wanna tell you what to do since it's a good amount of money being spent, ya know? xD

The only reason i havent gotten an injen yet, is because i want to see what descendants final looks like and how it performs. They did an awesome job with the exhaust, and if a final product is always better than a prototype, then I only expect the intake to be awesome!

And rob gave me the okay to disclose info on the prototype SRI I have, so I'll put pictures up and what I think of it later today... Because right now is study time!
Old 03-24-2011, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

awesome. ill be cancelling my order and watching this thread
Old 03-24-2011, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good luck! The wait begins! D:<
Old 03-24-2011, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

go study! or take pics! LOL
Old 03-24-2011, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea, I wanna see your review and pics. Probably gonna go that route and buy exhaust and intake at same time
Old 03-25-2011, 03:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay! Keep in mind that what i have is a prototype, and is also the first intake upgrade i've ever had, so if i describe something completely wrong, just let me know :D!

Well the prototype SRI i have from descendant is a closed box. It uses the long factory hose, and it uses a bigger pipe (the silver one) to go to the intake box. And inside the box is a TRD drop in filter.

The intake came with essentially 4 things, the pipe, the TRD drop in, two hose connectors, and clamps.

The power gain i got is noticeable, the gain isnt as big as the gain from stock to catback exhaust, but youll definately notice it. The thing i noticed most what throttle response and accelleration. Now when i step on the throttle, the car responds much faster than when it did with the stock intake.

It also sounds cool! When you shift through first and second and third (if you use light throttle in third) you can hear the intake whistle. And above 3k RPM you can hear the intake suck in air if the window is down. It's definately much quieter than an open CAI or open SRI.

Rob told me that they are working on a CAI and i'm not sure whether or not their final SRI will use a cone, or a drop in like the prototype uses.

I'm not really sure what else to add to this, but if you guys want to know something, just ask :D!

Again, remember all i have right now is a PROTOTYPE and not a final product, so take it as it is!

here are the pictures:

the parts out of the box
Name:  faffb21c.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  162.3 KB

Another photo of the parts
Name:  0a44fb10.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  182.4 KB

A shot of the pipe and box
Name:  4a41ff75.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  120.4 KB

An overhead shot
Name:  d3f4ad4a.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  127.3 KB

A close up
Name:  c6f8ccce.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  101.1 KB

Forgive the photos, they are from my iPhone 4, so they arent that great of quality.

And sorry i cant open the box up to show you guys how the filter looks inside, by the time my dad gets home, it's way to dark to get it opened.

EDIT: I'll make a video of some revs with the hood open tomorrow if i can.

Last edited by Enzie; 03-25-2011 at 04:01 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

soo...it looks like drop in filter, and a dif material tube. dont know much about these, but does that tube make that much of a dif? just seems to me that this is basically just drop in a filter. correct me if im wrong, which i probably am
Old 03-25-2011, 12:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by goose_119
soo...it looks like drop in filter, and a dif material tube. dont know much about these, but does that tube make that much of a dif? just seems to me that this is basically just drop in a filter. correct me if im wrong, which i probably am
from the looks of it, sounds right to me. maybe the metal tubing as opposed to the flexible plastic tubing gives air a better flow and a better reading on the MAF, thus making more power? I think it's a slight disappointment if that's going to cost $170 because the drop in filter is $50-70 and $100 doesn't justify that short piece of tubing. I would hope that this was testing the MAF sensor mount and readings based on tube dimensions and whatnot..
Old 03-25-2011, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know much about these either guys, maybe someone with a lot of intake knowledge can chime in?
Old 03-25-2011, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright guys here's the deal, descendant had many different prototypes working on this intake because of the motors response initially so they tried many different variations and enzie's happens to be one of them. However, after my and robs last talk I'm pretty sure that the actual production piece is 3" piping and an open filter element. That setup that enzie has was going to be signifigantly cheaper (more along the lines of a budget intake) but as we all know, pulling air from your full surrounding of atmosphere such as with an open element is generally better then being restricted by only pulling in air from a single prt like the factory box. Another plus is descendant did this rightand did not trick the maf with anything in the pipe like the injen piece has. So they production piece will be a full pipe with an open filter element I'm pretty sure. That's what it seemed to be when I last spoke with them.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hm that's great to hear. What do you mean by injen tricking the maf?

Quick Reply: Descendant Intake