Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Greddy Evo3 Installation and parts questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 02:34 AM
5 Year Member

Default Greddy Evo3 Installation and parts questions

Hey guys! Got my evo3 in yesterday and finally opened the box and had a few questions

1) Was it suppossed to come with a silencer?

2) What is that metal gasket type item supposed to be used for? Am I installing that as well as the stock gasket?

3) I assume I am replacing the bolts/washer/nut combo with the new one in the box correct?

4) There isn't an instruction manual in there right? I assume i can follow the same process as the trd manual on trdsparks?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-14-2014, 03:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like you probably shouldn't attempt this on your own. If you've never installed exhausts before, you can run into several problems. Maybe you should have someone do it with you or just have a shop install it.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:36 AM
5 Year Member

I actually will be having someone whos done an exhaust install before helping me but I figured I would ask for some advice anyway.

Thanks though.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The best to learn is by doing. Its pretty straight forward and the TRD instructions really wont have anything useful except that the torque specs are 32ft/lbs and lubing up the exhausts hangers will help get them off the rubber mounts. In the past I would of said to only use the new gasket as that's how almost all exhausts work. However, I just put my CNT axleback on I had to use both the stock and the new one. Just hold the gasket up to the flanges and see if it will seal on its own. With the CNT the inner circle was too big so the stock gasket had to go inside the new one.

When you bolt the flanges together tighten both bolts evenly a little bit on one side then back to the other. The gaskets may not seal if you just crank one side all the way down and then do the other. When you've got everything bolted up start the car up with it still in the air and crawl underneath to check for leaks. You'll be able to hear/feel them right at the flanges if anything went wrong. If you do have any leaks just loosen the bolts a bit so you can wiggle the flange around and listen for when it seals.

Good luck man. Installing an exhaust is a fun easy way for some one who hasn't done mush car work to learn. Perfect little project.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member

I went ahead and tried but long story short, the bolts were rusted so badly that I ended up stripping them during the removal. I used some of that rust off spray for 2 days straight too. Tried with a breaker bar, vice grips, etc but nothing worked and I didn't have a grinder or torch so I just went to a mechanic today and had him do it.

It was a simpler job by nature, but because of those bolts, the stuff I did in the engine bay seemed a lot simpler. lol
Old 05-16-2014, 03:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just what I was afraid of. Same thing happened to me with my first exhaust. Had to leave it overnight at my job until I got replacement bolts. But it's a fun way to learn.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The one thing that ____ed me off a lot with the axle back install...is that one of the nuts are welded onto the stock axle back.

Don't waste your time trying to torque it down. There will be 2 nuts and only 1 of them will come off.