Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Manual transmission fluid swap DIY

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 05:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Manual transmission fluid swap DIY

Searched but couldn't find a DIY for a second gen tC. Found one for the first gen. Has anyone done one yet for our car? I've done oil chnges, but never a manual trans oil swap. Please be gentle
Old 01-31-2013, 11:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was going to do it myself, but then I found out the dealership would do it for 40 or 50 bucks. It was cheaper than what I paid for oil alone, so I opted to return the gear oil and not waste my time
Old 01-31-2013, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is a real good write up for Gen One. I doubt most dealers would do it for that cheap, even if so, they will probably not allow custom tranny oil. Gen Two should get there own write-up but I dont think there is one. It's so easy though, it makes a oil change look hard.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So pretty much just follow gen 1's and it will be pretty close? Also, any suggestions on fluid and how much is needed?
Old 01-31-2013, 07:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^
Manual states 2.4 qts of fluid, so buy 3 qts oil. Best bet would be ams oil, royal purple, or redline mt90. Anything 75w really. I'd recommend calling your dealer though just incase it will save you time and money. The oils I stated above are about $20 a qt before tax
Old 01-31-2013, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also get a funnel with a hose attached to it so it's not a pia to refill oil
Old 01-31-2013, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Disaster I have not looked under the tranny yet to see if the plug is in the same place or not, but surely it is not much different. I would check to see how much the dealer would charge if you simply want stock fluid.
Other wise you can choose whatever fluid you want and DIY. There is a fluid debate going on in another tC2 thread. (I used Amsoil in my tC1)
Have you found the tC1 thread? if not I can find it easy.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

No matter what fluid you use, when the tranny itself, and your clutch are physically cold they are going to be grumpy. My shifting is still smooth as butter with 73,000 miles and I have only changed the fluid once. The only time it's different is when the moving parts on my car aren't to the normal operating temperature. I really don't see a need for anything other than stock fluids because I don't drive a race car. Everyone has their own opinions. As for drain an full plugs, look on your tranny and they are the oversized "bolts". Drain from the lowest sitting one, and fill from the slightly higher one until it starts to overflow
Old 02-01-2013, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Fill plug faces the front of the car on the front of the trans. Drain plug faces the passenger side from what I remember.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Seriously? No write-up on this yet. I search for 'Transmission Fluid" in tC 2 and This is the only thread.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ Can you do one???
Old 08-19-2013, 01:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lol I might. I suppose you just Drain at the Drain Plug; then fill from the Top hole until it comes out the Fill hole on the bottom (like a TC1). I will take a closer look to see if the reverse sensor hole is accessible for a long funnel to be inserted in it.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:42 AM

Stumbled upon this page and wanted to throw my 2 cents in,
For the 2011-2014 scion tC with manual 6 speed transmissions Toyota makes a 75w designed to go in their transmissions. This is also the same oil used for the fr-s manual transmissions as well. I'm not sure what they put in it but if you don't replace the oil with the same oil you will feel some grinding.
I'm a tech at Toyota and at the beginning of summer I went ahead and did the TSB done for the main throw out bearing in out transmission. When draining the fluid I thought it really looked thin so I threw some 80w oil in it to see how it would do. That didn't work out to good so I bought some 75w valvoine synthetic and put that in there and still was not as smooth as before. So finally I have put back in the OEM 75w that Toyota sells and it's as smooth as butter once again. My advise would be to stick the stock fluid in it.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by StatuSCheckA
Lol I might. I suppose you just Drain at the Drain Plug; then fill from the Top hole until it comes out the Fill hole on the bottom (like a TC1). I will take a closer look to see if the reverse sensor hole is accessible for a long funnel to be inserted in it.
There is a rain plug that is marked drain plug on the bottom of the trans. Drain the fluid, put the plug back in. On the front of the trans, facing the radiator, there is a fill plug that has a sticker on it stating it is a fill hole. Fill through that until fluid pours out and you're done. No need to remove sensors, everything is already to do it and easy access.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Brettg782
My advise would be to stick the stock fluid in it.
Thanks, I know alot of people will want to try Redline, etc. Is 75 Weight expensive at the dealer?
Can you elaborate or PM me about the throw-out bearing? Are they bad?

Originally Posted by russiankid
No need to remove sensors, everything is already to do it and easy access.
Thanks, but depending on tools in ones garage, it may be easier to fill from a top sensor until the fill plug oozes out. I suppose you can use a funnel and silicone hose, but other than that I dont have a way to fill up fluid on a sideways facing hole.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by StatuSCheckA
Thanks, I know alot of people will want to try Redline, etc. Is 75 Weight expensive at the dealer?
Can you elaborate or PM me about the throw-out bearing? Are they bad?

Thanks, but depending on tools in ones garage, it may be easier to fill from a top sensor until the fill plug oozes out. I suppose you can use a funnel and silicone hose, but other than that I dont have a way to fill up fluid on a sideways facing hole.
All you need is a funnel with a hose attached to it.