Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Manual transmission swap out -- because I hate 4,000rpm @ 80mph

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Manual transmission swap out -- because I hate 4,000rpm @ 80mph

So, I've seen quite a few posts on this topic, but I've never seen any reach a conclusion, or found someone who's actually done a swap (other than to the Echo trans).

Has anybody successfully swapped in a different manual transmission?
Those of you that do have an echo trans, is it horribly slow? Manageable on the highway in 5th?
Does anybody have any photos of their manual transmission? (OEM or otherwise) So I can compare shape/size/etc...

There are several reasons I'm considering this:
--My clutch is almost gone (@ ~240,000 miles)
--My 5th gear synchro is gone
--Somewhere, someone said that the AE111 6sp trans bolts right up! My xB is my daily, but my fun car happens to be an AE86 with an AE111 20v 4ag motor in it... It would be all too convenient.
--Instead of 3859RPM at 80mph in 5th gear, I'd be at 3121RPM in 6th gear.
--Highway engine noise is excruciating.
--I'm tired of getting 28mpg out of a 1.5 liter motor.

My biggest concern is that 3121RPM is actually too low to overcome highway drag forces due to how little torque our motors have. I live in Columbus, OH, it's REALLY flat here, but if I drive to Pittsburgh or some other area with terrain, I find myself downshifting up hills even with the OEM ratio. This is fine, but if I can't ever go into 6th unless I'm going downhill, or WORSE, if I actually get worse gas mileage because I have to be more pedal-heavy to put down adequate torque to maintain 80mph, then I will have wasted a lot of time and money.

My second biggest concern comes from a TSB that is out on ~2010 (? I think) Tacomas, in which, when people affix larger tires, the added strain on the drivetrain due to higher constant torque application at lower RPM is actually destroying the transmissions. I kind of doubt our 1.5 could ruin anything, but I still have big fears about making the most reliable car that exists into something unreliable.

...So I think the most important question I have is for photos. I'd rather not take my trans off just to make comparisons. And I'm certainly trying to avoid spending $500 on a trans that I can't use. I generally check out ebay for good photos, but there aren't any good examples to look at (so that I can compare the size/shape/bolt holes to the AE111 trans). I especially want to see the bellhousing and where the bellhousing mounts to the trans itself. I'm sure I can get creative with the mounts if I have to.

For example:
Toyota Corolla Levin AE111 20 Valve 5 Speed Transmission Z60617856 JDM 4AGE | eBay

Thanks in advance...
Old 07-27-2015, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Transmission swap Info

I would also love to know more solid facts / specs.....
Old 08-02-2015, 08:16 PM
SL Member

The one thread I found involved cutting a section out of the subframe and rewelding it together for the additional clearance.

I live with the 4K at 80MPH.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:51 AM

So I to am trying to figure this out as we speak. I have found three options none of witch I know is better then the other. Change out your final drive with a yaris or corolla not sure witch years or why one over the other. But that will drop your RPMS 500 at what ever given speed. second, change out your 5th gear with a corolla, not sure what year. Third, do the c160 with will almost not change your RPMs at all due to the c160 have a lower final drive then the xb. contact me and lets put our heads together. My MT is done so I need to do something to make this work as well.