Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Need help with newly obtained 2012 Scion tC RS7

Old 04-25-2017, 09:41 PM
SL Member

Default Need help with newly obtained 2012 Scion tC RS7

◄◄
Click Here
to Add your Vehicle to Garage

What does Garage is empty, Add now mean?

Hello all!

New to the forum and first time scion owner! I've done a lot of reading before i decided to post because there are a few things with the scion i am driving that i feel need some work.

I received this car through work and it was already modified... what mods specifically its hard for me to say but with your help maybe i can identify any of the parts.

Mods i was told of:
Headers
Intake
Exhaust
Suspension
Rims and tires

Now i was aware the headers would cause a CEL.. previous owner did not get a CEL Eliminator (i know the previous owner and will be asking what parts he's specifically got on here)... i ordered a vibrant cel eliminator and it should be here soon.

my big issue is terrible gas mileage... i filled the tank completely and got about 100 miles out of a half tank.. that is just plain offensive. Also, the car may be running rich as i can smell it after letting it warm up for a while in the morning while it sits underneath in a parking structure. My understanding this is from the headers and ECU readings being all out whack?

What are my options here for getting my gas mileage to something acceptable? Will the CEL Eliminator help in any way with gas mileage? And will resetting the ecu even without a CEL eliminator help the car adjust in any way?

Car is currently only at 66,000 miles

Thank you for the help in advance to anyone who responds!

*update*
It appears to have injen intake and megan heads
Old 04-26-2017, 04:36 AM
SL Member

◄◄
Click Here

Another update.. I'll be getting the stock headers soon. Should I just installs those and be on with my life? I do like the current sound.. But if I can't fix the mpg I don't feel is worth it
So id like to try to fix what i got going on.. I'm going to try installing the cel eliminator this weekend and see if that helps the mpg with the ecu reset
Old 05-05-2017, 12:32 PM

◄◄Click Here to Add your Vehicle to Garage

How are you calculating your mpg? I know that my cluster gauge is way off. It should be calculated on miles and amount of fuel actually consumed. If you are using the gauge on your dash it will be wrong.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:15 PM
SL Member

------------------------------------------
◄◄
Click Here

Originally Posted by thunderCat
How are you calculating your mpg? I know that my cluster gauge is way off. It should be calculated on miles and amount of fuel actually consumed. If you are using the gauge on your dash it will be wrong.
funny i see this right when i noticed it myself.. i had used up only 1/8 of my tank according to my gauge.. and when i turned my car on again later it mysteriously dropped a noticeable amount.

i drove my car 200mi within 2 days and mysteriously the check engine light turned itself off before i even got put in my CEL eliminator. Oddly my gas mileage seems better since then and the ECO light is actually turning on once again. I had gotten about 165 on what would be half a tank according to the gauge lol. Which seems about where it should be.. it was probably 80% highway miles. Considering aftermarket headers, exhaust, rims and lowered i feel that was a fair number.

No idea how accurate the mpg calculator is on the car but on the streets if i'm conservative i can get it to 20.5mpg without issues.. well as long as its not 5pm... living in southern california mpg seems to vary a crapload due to different traffic loads and stop lights.

Perhaps i'll drive this tank until the light comes on to get an accurate average mpg.. i just have a pretty nasty ocd where i can't stand to see my gas below half a tank.. drives me nuts lol

also, i can not get the maintenance light to reset... i did the Trip A while holding the button... tried trip b, odometer and nothing.. even when i went to get an oil change they were unable to get the damn thing off... checked the owners manual which also indicated to first turn the car on (with engine) set to trip A, hold the button.. turn off car while still holding the button then turn the car on(no engine) with the button still pressed... and still nothing