Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Odd noise from 4th gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 12:01 AM

Default Odd noise from 4th gear

Hey guys i have a 2013 TC with 75k miles on it.

I'm having an odd noise pop up only when shifting from 3rd into 4th.

It doesn't occur going down from 4th to 3rd or from 5th to 4th.

It doesn't sound like a full on grind, it sounds more like a clunk. The only time it sounds like it may be a grind is when accelerating quickly and I have the RPMs high but even then the noise is faint (not like a grind when you miss the shift), and very brief. The gear still engages as well, it doesn't get pushed out, although i have noticed a little bit of rattle, but never a situation where i had to force it into 4th.

I thought it might be driver error but it has occurred sometimes even with the clutch all the way down.

It seems to happen even if the transmission is warmed up.

It doesn't happen if i'm driving normally and shifting at around 2.5-3k.

Sometimes even in the higher RPMs it won't make the noise if i bring the shifter in to 4th swiftly but gently.

I took it to an independent shop to swap the transmission fluid. That didn't seem to help. I took it in to toyota to get it flushed there and they said everything looks good and they even drove it out back in their strip and everything was working just fine.

To me, it sounds like it might be a number of things from what i've read on the forums and internet. The syncro's may be starting to wear down, someone even mentioned that it might be my clutch. Given that i'm at 75k this probably wouldn't be settled through warranty and the dealership will probalby tell me it's all fine or it's normal wear and tear... (Although the guy at the dealership said something about 100k i'll have to look into that.)

I would definitely appreciate it if anyone has any ideas or success stories with a particular transmission fluid.

I am even open to upgrading parts in the transmission if it will fix it.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm sorry you haven't gotten a reply. I have a grind when shifting from 3rd to 4th at high RPM. Even when I granny shift. I was about to make a post about it too. I am only at 30K Miles on my 2013 and do not recall ever doing anything that would damage the syncro's so bad.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

These Tran's are terrible toyota never sold many of the EB6X's that go in the TC's and camerys so i'm not surprised that your having issues too. I would have a phantom grind in 2nd when its cold out.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh an Ice Cold Second Gear, forget about it. When it's cold out I allow myself three seconds to shift from 1 -> 2 otherwise i'll grind.

I do have the problem you seem to describe...it was a long post. I also have the throw-out bearing noise at idle.
This is my second tC. I plan on having it for atleast 4 more years. I'm only at 30,000 Miles.

Last edited by StatuSCheckA; 12-16-2016 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

its made that noise since I've bought it and took it in. had them check it out only to tell me things look good and that nothing is wrong. though they replaced the shaft input bearing because it made noise and that was at 13k-15k miles now at 65k the noise has come back but car runs great regardless.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bam, I have heard about the shaft, or bearing going bad many miles after the repair.
I would like to know the process of getting it fixed the first time. I am still under warranty and have extended warranty. I have a grind going from 3rd to 4th. And I have a growling sound at idle.

How long does the repair take?

Do I need to play dumb or do I need to be firm and say I have a bad bearing per a Technical Service Bulletin, etc?

Did or Do you have a short shifter?
Old 09-15-2016, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by StatuSCheckA
Bam, I have heard about the shaft, or bearing going bad many miles after the repair.
I would like to know the process of getting it fixed the first time. I am still under warranty and have extended warranty. I have a grind going from 3rd to 4th. And I have a growling sound at idle.

How long does the repair take?

Do I need to play dumb or do I need to be firm and say I have a bad bearing per a Technical Service Bulletin, etc?

Did or Do you have a short shifter?
When I took it in I was completely stock it took about a full day. I took it back maybe about 3-4 months ago they told me that I needed a new transmission but the car runs great. Don't know if they were pulling my tail. But gona take it to a a different dealer and get a second opinion.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for replying. I'm going to leave on my intake I think. But I will put back the OEM Shifter. Are you under warranty for that "new transmission", or are you getting a second opinion just out of principle?

I would like a new tranny. I'm grinding and growling. I'm sure my 4th gear syncro is busted up. I will admit I mis-shifted from 1st to 2nd a few times; but 3-4 is always an affirmative shift. I can ethically say I didn't cause my 4th gear grind.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think you guys will be fine. I have 224,000 miles on the stock trans, with the stock clutch. Yes it grinds every now and again, but it still hasn't failed. I was in the same boat as you guys, but I now realize that a "cheap car" is going to feel "cheap"
Old 09-26-2016, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well jeez, I wouldn't go that far. I mean the idea behind these cars was 'fun'. They developed these cars not for Sunday Driving.
Besides, I get a grind into 4th 100% of the time; I think it's worth it for me to get it checked out.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hopefully they can fix it for you. When I say "Cheap", Im solely talking about the price tag for modern cars. Its by no means a cheap or crappy car, its just a toyota... Also I think it is a very fun car to drive. It handles great (for FWD of course), and the short gearing makes it fun because you can get up to speed quickly without going over 3,500 RPM