Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Sloppy drivetrain

Old 08-13-2012, 05:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Sloppy drivetrain

Anyone else notice a sloppy drivetrain with the 6mt? I know the gear box is noisey, but if let off the throttle, I can feel the motor shift. Getting back on the the throttle is the same thing. Lower gears like first and second is more notible. I'm wondering if it is just the combination of axle play and trans play. Weird part is that I don't hear a clunk, it is actually soundless, you just feel it. I've had fwd cars with loose differentials and they would make a clunk. Anyone else notice this?
Old 08-13-2012, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How long have you had the car?
I'm asking because I developed negative thoughts during my first couple of drives.
It also matters what kind of car your came from.
You'll get used to it, but I do not believe the drivetrain in sloppy, but i'm far from an expert.

Have you ever had a Manual transmission? When your in gear and let off the gas the motor is still in gear and at the same revs, so yes it may move a little bit when you let off the gas at a higher RPM.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it seems like the people with complaints about the trans, shifter, etc did not test drive the car before they bought it. Either that or emotions were running high and now feeling buyer's remorse. I've had a couple scions now and the drivetrains behave almost the exact same way. Same clicking when the engine runs and same action on the transmission, but how do you not notice these things before you buy the car? The car will be just fine. Most likely.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by speterson82
it seems like the people with complaints about the trans, shifter, etc did not test drive the car before they bought it. Either that or emotions were running high and now feeling buyer's remorse. I've had a couple scions now and the drivetrains behave almost the exact same way. Same clicking when the engine runs and same action on the transmission, but how do you not notice these things before you buy the car? The car will be just fine. Most likely.
I already knew I wanted to get the car. I drove an automatic a few weeks prior to buying my 6-Speed. I bought the six-speed without test driving it. I love it though (now). I feel like my tC1 hauled more ___ though. I have nearly the same mods. Maybe these new cars are handicapped due to all these emissions regulations.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by StatuSCheckA
How long have you had the car?
I'm asking because I developed negative thoughts during my first couple of drives.
It also matters what kind of car your came from.
You'll get used to it, but I do not believe the drivetrain in sloppy, but i'm far from an expert.

Have you ever had a Manual transmission? When your in gear and let off the gas the motor is still in gear and at the same revs, so yes it may move a little bit when you let off the gas at a higher RPM.
I had the car for 3 months with about 6k on the odo now. I've had plenty of manual cars before, but maybe I never payed attention to small things because they were older vehicles.

Originally Posted by speterson82
I didn't really pay attention to or even notice that when I test drove the car. I am not worried about it, I am just curious to see if it others experience this.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

kid, here are some things I did to help alleviate some of this. First of all you may be more critical than me about transmissions. What I think is fine you might think is trash. Anyway:
1) I put a clutch stop so my clutch no longer goes all the way down to the ground.
2) I bypassed the clutch sensor so I don't need the clutch to start the car (I jumped the connector with a narrow paperclip (genius!)
3) I installed TRD QuickShifter.
4) I installed TWM Bushings all around.

Then after weeks of driving i'm comfortable and used to the transmission and shifting. Solid.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The things you listed above only help with the driveability, not the design flaw. A clutch stop won't do much in this case, neither will bushings or TRD quick throw(which I have). This is my first Scion so I am just curious as to how they are. I used to own a BMW that I built and a Honda that I built. Both daily, both driven like they were stolen, the Honda had differential play from day one but I was able to narrow that down as I've had the trans out of the car a few times. My next guess aside from the axle/trans play is the front motor mount. Based on what I have read and seen the stock mount is fairly flimsy, which actually could explain the potential torque twist the motor undergoes and that is what is being felt. If this worsens, I'll just have the dealer take a look at it so that way it is on the books. Only thing that bothers me with dealers is they use GL-5 based gear fluid where the tC needs GL-4. P.S. I may have to do the shifter bushings to get rid of some of that shifter play.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member

Soft motor mounts. Look into adding an engine damper.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was leaning towards trying a poly front mount.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

kid, here are some things I did to help alleviate some of this. First of all you may be more critical than me about transmissions. What I think is fine you might think is trash. Anyway:
1) I put a clutch stop so my clutch no longer goes all the way down to the ground.
2) I bypassed the clutch sensor so I don't need the clutch to start the car (I jumped the connector with a narrow paperclip (genius!)
3) I installed TRD QuickShifter.
4) I installed TWM Bushings all around.

Then after weeks of driving i'm comfortable and used to the transmission and shifting. Solid.
How hard is it to add TWM bushings? And your opinions added with the trd shifter, worth it?.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive noticed a similar problem when i floor it it feels like the car drags ___ then gets a wake up call around 3000 3500 rpms then when i shift its dragging again this only happens on the first 2 or 3 gears but it sucks when your trying to go and it seems to take forever
Old 08-14-2012, 10:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

don't know if this has to do with the clutch or transmission in general but when I try to accelerate really fast for some odd reason I can't engage 2nd gear. I feels like as if I didn't step on the clutch no matter what I try even though the clutch is all the way down. This starts to happen at 4.5k rpm Does anybody have the same problem? will a quickshifter and bushings "fix" this?
Old 08-14-2012, 02:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by devanb3
it sucks when your trying to go and it seems to take forever
I notice that exactly. I'm like "Horse Power any minute now..."
My tC1 F'n Hauled.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kada90
don't know if this has to do with the clutch or transmission in general but when I try to accelerate really fast for some odd reason I can't engage 2nd gear.
That can be a serious problem, Try again but this time dont bring it to redline. I do not believe a shifter mod an fix this, the problem is further down; posibly a defect.

Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin
How hard is it to add TWM bushings? And your opinions added with the trd shifter, worth it?.
TWM Bushings under the hood takes less than 15 minutes. (Instuctions on YouTube and everywhere else). Easier with Intake out of the way, Intake can be taken out in less than 10 Minutes.
TWM Busings under the interior shifter (I dont think they are worth it) but you will have to dis-assemble some interior panels. I ordered them with a bundle package but I have yet to install them. The bushings under the hood are extra nice though, forget that rubber that Toyota gives us.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin
I have the TRD ss with torque solutions cable bushings. Way cheaper and better in my option because dissimilar metals will be touching with twm, vs delrin (I think I spelled it right) used by torque solutions. Just personal preference whether or not my reasoning will hold up in the court of scion life, I love them anyway. Everything is more crisp when shifting and have had no issues for the 30,000 miles or so ago I installed them
Old 08-14-2012, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That can be a serious problem, Try again but this time dont bring it to redline. I do not believe a shifter mod an fix this, the problem is further down; posibly a defect.
I don't even reach the redline zone. However when I accelerate slowly but up to 5k is not as bad as trying to when trying to speed up fast. No wonder a tiburon smoked me this morning. I'll try a few more runs and if it keeps doing it I'll take it to the dealership before my warranty expires.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would take it in to the dealer. Sounds like your synchro's don't line up or the clutch isn't disengaging. I don't have any problems shifting, I can slam into second at redline without any problems. As for the power kick, the reason you get that kick is because that is where the vvti changes timing. I had this issue before, I watched how the ignition timing reaction during those revolutions and it is fairly retarded until the cams change timing. I did a straight pipe axle back which helped with restricted flow from the stock unit, and also running 89+ octane gives you a good amount of timing back.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kada90
I don't even reach the redline zone. However when I accelerate slowly but up to 5k is not as bad as trying to when trying to speed up fast. No wonder a tiburon smoked me this morning. I'll try a few more runs and if it keeps doing it I'll take it to the dealership before my warranty expires.
Yea toy with it but dont make it worse. Definitely dont force it too hard. I find it odd you would have a syncro problem so soon.
And if you go to the dealer user terminology such as "sudden acceleration" and whatnot.

I would be ____ed having a Tiburon pass me
Old 08-14-2012, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a buddy who is a tech at the dealer so I am good. All I am doing is testing the build quality.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member

I agree, get the cable bushing for the shifter, the base bushing wouldn't hurt either. I have both on my Tc and love the difference in shift experience compared to stock.

On the topic of sloppy drivetrain. I would often have trouble getting into reverse and first gear while at a complete stop. Example would be after I have stopped at the lights and put it in first, the gearbox stops me from doing so. Only solution I came up with is disengage and engage the clutch or shift into second and than first. Similarly I often have trouble getting into reverse in the mornings.

Any ideas on whats going on, and if I should be bring it in?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sloppy drivetrain