Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Sloppy drivetrain

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well... i hope i have positive things to say about my 13 model im getting tomorrow.. nervous
Old 08-15-2012, 01:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So after playing with it. I realized that I have to put some muscle to shift to 2nd gear. Not that I mind the extra punch needed but it feels weird and wrong. My civic didn't do this even though it had close to 150k, the clutch was never replaced and still was able take the rough driving.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So is there anyone here who Does not have a manual tran issue? Smooth shifting and everything?
Old 08-15-2012, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kada90
So after playing with it. I realized that I have to put some muscle to shift to 2nd gear. Not that I mind the extra punch needed but it feels weird and wrong. My civic didn't do this even though it had close to 150k, the clutch was never replaced and still was able take the rough driving.
Something is quite possibly wrong with your synchros, but that's not to say that what you're experiencing is abnormal for this car. I had a lot of issues shifting into 2nd and 3rd gear with my tC. Suffice it to say, the transmission is one of its weak points.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have smooth shifting, my issue is the drivetrain shifting when throttle is released and then reapplied.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is there an aftermarket solution for this? like a different transmission? what about that have their tCs boosted? did they replace the tranny or are they running with the stock one? russiankid, don't know what you mean, but it is just a matter of footwork I guess.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^
I think he is talking about the motor and trans shifting on the mounts when you press or let off the gas. (like when you look under the hood and someone revs the engine, it will torque sideways) it's the same concept while driving and it feels like the car is a rocking horse when it does that. That's about my only complaint with the car
Old 08-15-2012, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know about the tc2 but my tc1 doesn't live fast shifts at all. Get locked out of 2nd or 3rd sometimes. Usually when theirs a lot of wheel spin and shifting fast

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-15-2012, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by talt2008
^
I think he is talking about the motor and trans shifting on the mounts when you press or let off the gas. (like when you look under the hood and someone revs the engine, it will torque sideways) it's the same concept while driving and it feels like the car is a rocking horse when it does that. That's about my only complaint with the car
Exactly. I am able to shift smooth as butter, the shifting is not the issue at all. I do not have any problems with getting locked out of a gear, or not going into gear at higher RPM's.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kada90
I have a Manual. Also my 2006 was a Manual. I dont experience any shifting problems right now with my Manual 2013 tC2. I am sorry your having these issues. Using that much force will create more problems quicker. Please get your baby checked out.
Any grinding noises? The dealer will probably drain your tranny oil and inspect it first, then they will inspect your clutch master cylinder and fluid.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you're motor twists too much for your liking, have you considered getting a stiffer motor mount? If so, I highly recommend the GGP
Old 08-18-2012, 09:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have considered a stiffer mount. It will happen eventually but I just want to know what is causing the issue.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member

I have the GGP Front Motor Mount. It really cut down the slop from the stock motor mount, and it allowed the power to be put down earlier. One drawback from it is the extra vibrations. It's not bad, but it definitely needs getting used to.

Also for the shifting issues, I found that my gearbox needed about 15k miles and then everything wore in and the shifter got immensely smoother. When I first got my 2011 tC in April of 2010 getting into second gear required smoothness. When going into second gear it felt as if the synchros just needed to be broken in. Now at 32k miles, its buttery smooth on all shifts. Also, about the sloppy drivetrain, I also notice it. But it doesn't feel any different than any other manual transmission car. It was definitely a combo of the motor rocking and the drivetrain gear lash. Nothing out of the ordinary in my opinion.

Good luck to you.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I installed the TorqueSolution front motor mount and it definitely took away a lot of the play. Like you mentioned, aside from the vibrations on idle it is wonderful. I had to take it out, however, to bring it back to the dealer about a trans noise.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:16 AM
5 Year Member

Oh, thats not good. Hope it isn't anything serious.
In any case, keep us updated on what it is. I'm actually kind of curious. You would be the second person I've heard of with transmission issues, the other person got theirs replaced under warranty, because of grinding gears and such.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll keep you guys updated. I don't have any grinding issues, it is more of a loud whirring noise on idle from the trans.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member

The whirring is normal. I took mine in for the same thing.
Does it do it with the clutch pedal pressed too?
If the noise goes away when the clutch is pressed and then comes back when the clutch is let out then it's normal. I was told that it's just the gears in the transmission.

But when you get an opportunity let us know.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cySciontC2
The whirring is normal. I took mine in for the same thing.
Does it do it with the clutch pedal pressed too?
If the noise goes away when the clutch is pressed and then comes back when the clutch is let out then it's normal. I was told that it's just the gears in the transmission.

But when you get an opportunity let us know.
I already brought it to the dealer and they said it doesn't sound normal. This Friday I am bringing it back because the dealer has an engineer coming in to look at my car personally.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by russiankid
I already brought it to the dealer and they said it doesn't sound normal. This Friday I am bringing it back because the dealer has an engineer coming in to look at my car personally.
wow...ok, this does interest me.
thanks for the update.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Will do. Hopefully it is nothing bad, regardless warranty covers it.

Quick Reply: Sloppy drivetrain