Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

SRI and CAI difference?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 05:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default SRI and CAI difference?

"short ram + the ram air kit = cold air intake"

so wth is a ram air kit? i feel dumb now after doing so much work finding stuff out..is it an extender that iv seen coming off the end of some intake filters that go to another compartment? or like the way its built dont get it

so there really is a difference between CAI and SRI?

maybe the only difference is the whole short ram apposed to the typical long tube stereotype of what an intake is? i was told there isnt much of a difference, help me out guys its killing me lol

Last edited by jcraff3; 08-16-2013 at 05:20 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Both intakes increase airflow, but a SRI uses the same warm air as your OEM intake. A CAI takes cool air from outside the engine compartment, which is more dense than warm air. More dense air = burning more fuel = increased horsepower (supposedly).

Since most CAI systems put their intake close to the bottom of the front bumper (this is where the "long tube" difference comes into play), some people have concerns about water splashing into the intake when there is heavy rainfall.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tea_sea
Both intakes increase airflow, but a SRI uses the same warm air as your OEM intake. A CAI takes cool air from outside the engine compartment, which is more dense than warm air. More dense air = burning more fuel = increased horsepower (supposedly).

Since most CAI systems put their intake close to the bottom of the front bumper (this is where the "long tube" difference comes into play), some people have concerns about water splashing into the intake when there is heavy rainfall.

Word thanks for the reply..dumb question I just didnt think there was thatt much of a difference between the air temp of each and if it was worth spending another 80-100 bucks for a few inches of tubeing..what do you think man?
Old 08-18-2013, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have always preferred CAI but I'm an old school street racer from the mid 90's. I loved how my Red Line on my old Civic Si hatch would go from 6,500 to 7200 RPM with the CAI. It gives you more torque. I see you're from Florida so the CAI would actually benefit you. Now the extension that you're talking about is what they call Ram Air. Yes that part brings in colder air but the rest of the filter will take in hot air from the engine. Unless the filter is encapsulated. For the water problem there is a bypass valve that AEM and Injen sells that prevents water from being sucked into the engine when the filter gets submerged in water. I live in WA now with CAI w/out the bypass valve and have no problems. Just get the cold air and if you're really paranoid during the wet season turn it into a short ram. Hope this helps. If not hit me up or PM me again.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-18-2020 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 08-18-2013, 04:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jarvasdb1
I have always preferred CAI but I'm an old school street racer from the mid 90's. I loved how my red line on my old civic si hatch would go from 6,500 to 7200 RPM with the CAI. Iit gives you more torque. I see you're from Florida so the CAI would actually benefit you. Now the extension that you're talking about is what they call ram air. Yes that part brings in colder air but the rest of the filter will take in hot air from the engine. Unless the filter is encapsulated. For the water problem there is a bypass valve that AEM and Injen sells that prevents water from bein sucked into the engine when the filter gets submerged in water. I live in WA now with CAI w/out the bypass valve and have no problems. Just get the cold air and if you're really paranoid during the wet season turn it into a short ram. Hope this helps. If not hit me up or pm me again.

word man thanks that actually helped a lot didnt think of it like that, not in florida yet will be in 3 weeks..i guess some charts show takeda pushn more hp but i love injen and their tech and the short ram/cool air combo they sell like you mentioned..plus with the charts saying 9hp for the injen combo i think thats w the short ram anyway..either way def helpful
Old 08-18-2013, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool glad to be of assistance.
I have the Descendant CAI and cat back exhaust.

Wish they didn't pull out of the Scion scene though.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-18-2020 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 04-18-2020, 07:47 AM
SL Member

Default One of the difference between the two.

The Short Ram (SRI) a short intake; takes the hot air from the engine bay and constricts the air, allowing it to cancel out resonator and the silencer (muffler)
which increases the power output in the early Rpms rather than the higher ones (better results when placed near the firewall or around the engine.

Cold Air Intake (CAI) short to large intake; can be put inside or outside (popular inside the fender well since it has colder and denser air)
forces air inside to the combustion chamber which increases acceleration and fuel efficiency.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-18-2020 at 09:43 AM.