Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Transmission noise? Clutch? WTF

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hear that high pitch noise when in reverse. I hope that's normal?!?
Old 09-22-2011, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scratch
So, can anyone else with a Manual Transmission 2011 tC go find out if while coasting in neutral around 5-10mph or so, does your transmission make a loud whirring noise if you move the shifter near 1st gear and/or into 1st gear with the clutch all the way to the floor?
Mine makes that noise. It sounds similar to what I hear when it's in reverse gear and the car is reversing. My other cars with manual trans didn't make this noise. I didn't worry about this since there are others here who hears the same noise.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My car does that too. Even the car I test drove before I bought my car did it. I asked the salesperson and the mechanic (before I was seriously thinking about buying a 11 TC) about it and the mechanic said its normal.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Welp, took it to a Toyota Master Mechanic who just moved to a new Toyota dealership, he used to work on my xB and the tC, and after a short drive with me, he looked at me and asked what on earth is wrong with my car. So he did some additional testing, had the car for a day and said one of the synchros is showing signs of premature failure. So now I get to have a long drawn out fight with the primary dealership who opened the case with Toyota saying everything is fine...
Old 09-26-2011, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That blows. Good call on taking it to him though. It's hard to diagnose over the internet where you can't hear it.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Scratch, you selling the Tc or something? If you are I don't blame you. The tranny issues are b.s. and Scion should have done more. At the very least, pull the tranny and inspect it. I have a feeling the 6 spd. manual trannies are going to be a big issue for Scion. Mine has close to 11K miles and it still is a pain to go into first and second in cool weather. I notice it all the time but winter is rough on it. The synchros are meshed too tight or something. I'm no expert but the tranny is too tight feeling. I have driven all manual cars for 20 years, I know how they work and have personally done 3 clutch rebuilds. The ONLY time a tranny acted like this on me was at clutch replacement time at well over 100K miles.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ the same as you. almost 11k and yeah sometimes it's still hard to go to 1st while on full stop. and sometimes it's hard to go to 3rd gear also. it'll make a sound. like not really stepping on the clutch.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a little bit over 7k and mine still has hard time putting into the 1st once in a great while, like a few times a week. This transmission is the clunkiest transmission I had, but it doesn't really bother me much.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeaaah I got fed up.

I've had more than enough problems with a brand new car, and now having a 2nd run at the dealership with a warranty concern on this transmission, having the service advisor tell me that toyota said it was normal and there was no need to pull the transmission or clutch... but they did swap the fluid..as I was told to look for metal shavings, to see if I've been grinding the gears... I just gave up.

So, my attempt into driving a sportier Scion is done, and I'm boosted now. '08 Passat with 26k miles, tornado red, auto with the tiptronic (and buying an R32 steering wheel with the paddle shifters to add on)... best part, still under factory warranty for a year, then 2 years of certified pre-owned. Now I just have to get an upgraded diverter valve and the $600 for an APR chip upgrade. Beastly little 4dr she is.

I'll still be around, mostly in the xB1 section and floating around in here too to offer any info I've gleaned from working on the tC2... gotta find Scion202, this damn car has a ____ton of lights to swap for LEDs
Old 10-02-2011, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL, good choice bud!
Old 10-16-2011, 06:46 PM

I’m dealing with freaking problem since my previous car, on Feb I bought a 2011 XB with only 4 miles on the odometer, I thought the car was going to behave like my previous cars that all of them where stick, at about 3.000 on the xb I started getting this noise and all the exact same tranny problems like on the Tc2 transmission.

With previous experience with the Yaris I owned before the xb I never wanted to deal with warranty issues and all of this crap, so I decided to waste a bunch of money and trade the xb with only 4 months of use for a TC, Very bad decision…

At the beginning everything was cool until the car reached 5k the same clunk like in the xb with a pitch noise when shifting to 1st and 2nd when the car still rolling, I also get a slight grind every morning when going to 2nd, sometimes I can’t go to first gear, the tranny gets locked so I need to shift to 2nd and then it goes fine. I think the is premature wear on the synchros and way too much tolerance between gears, when the cars is at a normal operating temperature is more noticeable, it is like a bad calculation on the alloy of metals and maybe there is too much expansion when hot. This issue with this transmission makes the car feel like a piece of garbage, it ruins the driving experience completely.

Back in 2005 I had a tc1 and I never experienced anything like this, the trannys for Toyota are made by a company called AISIN they make a lot of transmission for other car makers so who knows what’s going on to out transmissions.

Last week I took the car to the dealer and the shop Forman was telling me that I should rev more my engine and when downshifting to rev match my rpm with the tranny, the guy was insinuating that’ it is normal and that I should worry that much.

I work for the industry at a very high end dealership we sell from Audi, Porsche all the way to Ferrari, Aston Martin even Mc Laren all car makers when do a big F-UP they will tell their customers that the car is operating at its manufacture specs, where I work there is one brand that consumes Oil like crazy they have millions of this cars on the streets with this problem so all they do is a free oil top off In some cases engines have been repaired but this only happens when the owner of the car is extremely persistent.

It’s important that all of us that want this problem resolved to take the car to the Stealership and have it checked out and open a case or ticket with Toyota so that way there are more formal complaints, that’s the only way to have them revise the tranny or at least replace it.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree. I think we need a poll for manual tranny 2nd gen. owners. Basically to see how many of us are unhappy with the stubborn 1st gear issues.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This thread makes me want to throw up
Old 10-19-2011, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This sounds bad, and I hope it is not a major issue for other folks too... I wonder who makes the current line of transmissions on the Scion line? If they dropped Aisin as their manufacturer, who is it now?

That would make sense as to the "problems" some folks are having... i have to use quotes, it was an issue for me, but may not be for others.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My manual transmission makes a *ton* of noise on the highway. The transmission in these cars is a piece of junk...and I wish I could say it was the only junk part in these cars. After the way I've been treated by my dealership and Toyota Southeast this will be my last Toyota product. Scratch, you made the right decision.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by VVTinme
After the way I've been treated by my dealership and Toyota Southeast this will be my last Toyota product.
Sadly, this might be true for me too. This is my 6th brand new car. I've never had any problem with the other cars. This is the only car that I'm having problems with. I bet the people at the dealership and Toyota have this in their mind... "Toyota does not break". They will tell you "It's normal", "It's this car's characteristic", and etc. If it's normal for Toyota to have a clunky transmission, a suspension that makes clicking noise, and the roof that makes annoying ticking/popping noise constantly, then I won't buy Toyota anymore because that's not the kind of cars I want to be driving.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tyap
Sadly, this might be true for me too. This is my 6th brand new car. I've never had any problem with the other cars. This is the only car that I'm having problems with. I bet the people at the dealership and Toyota have this in their mind... "Toyota does not break". They will tell you "It's normal", "It's this car's characteristic", and etc. If it's normal for Toyota to have a clunky transmission, a suspension that makes clicking noise, and the roof that makes annoying ticking/popping noise constantly, then I won't buy Toyota anymore because that's not the kind of cars I want to be driving.
Toyota gave me the same runaround. "It's normal" seems to be the most overused phrase coming out of them these days, with every issue I brought up getting that response. Never mind the fact that I've not seen a single other complaint about some of my issues, like the fact that my engine rattles loudly every time I start the car. Apparently "it's normal!"
Old 10-21-2011, 02:55 AM

Yesterday my case manager from scion informed me that the diagnose from the dealership states unable to duplicate the noise... Here they are trying to convince people that the car is working normal this is B.S

The shop Forman acknowledged the noise the day I took it; I will take it back when I get a chance.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:08 AM
5 Year Member

Hey guys I'm new to posting but have reading these forums for some time. I got my TC in October of 2011 and recently just hit above 7000km. Tonight I just start noticing the whining sound in 1st gear when the clutch is depressed. I thought I revive this thread in hopes to see if anyone has figured a solution to the problem. My oil change is coming up so I'll bring it in and raise this issue. Anyone else noticing this issue?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 02-05-2012, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine does that too and I think it's normal for this car. All the other cars with manual transmissions did not have this noise.

Quick Reply: Transmission noise? Clutch? WTF