Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Transmission whine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 02:00 PM

My tech did this in about 6hours. The recommended time is 8hrs. But since I work at a dealership he worked on it quick. So no loaner. As a customer you might get a loaner and it'll be in for the recommend amount of time.

Sent from my Rise using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2014, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats not too bad. I would hope theyd give me a loaner, my car is 3 years old with 42k miles on it and its having trans problems lol. Unless I can get a ride home that is.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:30 PM

You should be able to get a loaner, or get a ride in the customer shuttle.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is this something I should get taken care of asap like will it cause further damage to my trans if i dont? Or is it just it starting to go bad or something
Old 03-21-2014, 01:41 AM

Its not something that will be utterly harmful. Just loud and annoying. Whenever you get a chance I'd get it checked.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are they going to give me crap about changing the trans oil to redline to try to reduce this noise?

I am going tuesday for them to take a look at it.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:27 PM

I couldn't tell you what they would say about the fluid change

Old 03-23-2014, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm. Well I guess Ill find out tuesday. Would you by chance know the cost to have this fixed without warranty if they do void it because of the fluid change?
Old 03-24-2014, 12:44 AM

Unfortunately I wouldn't know. But they said to me 8hour labour as far as I can remember so the labour rate would be a considerable amount. But don't quite me on this since I'm not 100% sure.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by patriotfan11
Are they going to give me crap about changing the trans oil to redline to try to reduce this noise?

I am going tuesday for them to take a look at it.
They won't know unless you tell them. Also, since the owners manual states that as long as it is SAE75W oil, it is ok, and Redline does meet those requirements, they cannot void warranty.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats good to know. Anyway, while I was at work a customer of mine came in with a toyota dealer jacket on and I asked him about the problem and he knows of it and says its fully covered 6-8 hours. He told me not to go to the dealer I was heading to today because they are a sketchy bunch of guys that will go ahead and "fix" other things for you and charge you for them. So I gotta wait til next week to meet with this other dealer.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:54 PM

Geez. Too bad you didn't live up here in Canada. I'd direct you to my dealership I work at because they aren't sketchy.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I never understood that whole sketchy thing. If you didn't sign off the work order then they cannot fix anything else.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well Ive heard all these horror stories from "stealerships" especially with cars under warranty. Also the guy I talked to was nice until I mentioned the warranty and then he sounded like he didnt care at all. I also called back to confirm my appointment and it wasnt even in the system at all.

The guy I talked to from Prestige Toyota was friendly in person and answered my questions honestly and when I called the shop for an appointment they were also very helpful even when I mentioned the warranty. First impressions are were it counts I guess lol
Old 03-25-2014, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well Ive heard all these horror stories from "stealerships" especially with cars under warranty. Also the guy I talked to was nice until I mentioned the warranty and then he sounded like he didnt care at all. I also called back to confirm my appointment and it wasnt even in the system at all.

The guy I talked to from Prestige Toyota was friendly in person and answered my questions honestly and when I called the shop for an appointment they were also very helpful even when I mentioned the warranty. First impressions are were it counts I guess lol
I see what you're saying. Dealers feel that they have the power because of "warranty", last I checked I am the one holding the title to this vehicle so unless it is something covered under warranty they do not have the right to mess with it without your consent.

I went through this transmission whine since 4k miles on the car. After being shot down by dealers because the noise is normal, then finally a dealer replacing the bearing, then the transmission destroying itself and having corporate involved, my tC got a new trans put in at 18k. Now I am at about 39k without any issues or any odd noises.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My trans seems to be having no other troubles besides when its first being driven in the morning and the god awful whine. But stories like yours makes me wonder if I should have the whole thing looked at while they have the trans pulled for the bearing (if they actually accept it)

Luckily I have til 2016 before my warranty is up and my job is 5 minutes from my house and I only put on 6-7k in a year lol
Old 03-26-2014, 03:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My trans seems to be having no other troubles besides when its first being driven in the morning and the god awful whine. But stories like yours makes me wonder if I should have the whole thing looked at while they have the trans pulled for the bearing (if they actually accept it)

Luckily I have til 2016 before my warranty is up and my job is 5 minutes from my house and I only put on 6-7k in a year lol
Unless there are visual defects inside the trans (which you'd notice via noises), you cannot predict the life span. I just had a bad trans in general, but all is well now. I drive 15-20k a year.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just got back from the dealership. Took them 2 hours to diagnose the problem O.o

Anyway it was a main shaft bearing going bad. They are ordering the part and I am bringing my car back tomorrow morning (because I didnt have a ride home, couldnt get a loaner because im 20 and they didnt have a shuttle.)

The service adviser was alright but wasnt very helpful. The tech on the other hand was extremely nice and helpful. Its fully covered under warranty and Im happy its getting fixed and I wont have to deal with that dreadful noise. There was actually a tsb out for it but I couldnt find it anywhere, but he showed me that it actually was.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just got the car back. Sounds gone. Transmission feels stiffer.

Otherwise, great experience at the dealer.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's called the "radial bearing" on the input shaft. A $25 part which requires 9 hours of labour to replace.

Quick Reply: Transmission whine?