Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

TRD Quickshifter

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default TRD Quickshifter

I was wondering what people's thoughts were on the TRD Quickshifter for 2011 tC. I saw it in stock at TRDsparks and I was surprised at the low price. I then checked the installation manual to find out that it's some plastic piece that connects to the transmission cable. Didn't the 1G tC get an actual short shifter?
Old 02-10-2011, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well the 1st gen did get an entire shifter cage and cage bushings. I had to buy cable bushings from Doc I. From the looks of it the 2nd gen is only getting cable bushings.

You'll definitely feel the short throws along with a nice firm bite when going through gears with the 2011 set up.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SCION CORP
SL Member

The TRD Quickshifter for the 2011MY tC is a shift cable relocation bracket basically... It mounts to the transmission housing, and changes the shift cable locations to shorten the travel required between gears. The kit is made up of a pair of milled aluminum brackets, and required hardware.

I checked on the TRDSparks website, and the picture posted is not an accurate representation of the tC Quickshifter for the tC2...

Maybe 1stOne will chime in, as he's got one on his car. Shift feel is definitely improved, and the throw is noticeably shorter. Considering the price, and that the install takes about 20-30 mins, the bang for your buck is awesome.

They should be available soon up here in Canada

Last edited by Scion Canada; 02-11-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont see this quickshifter am i missing something?
Old 02-23-2011, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://trdsparks.com/displayparts.ph...&parts_id=3999
Old 02-23-2011, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scion Canada
The TRD Quickshifter for the 2011MY tC is a shift cable relocation bracket basically... It mounts to the transmission housing, and changes the shift cable locations to shorten the travel required between gears. The kit is made up of a pair of milled aluminum brackets, and required hardware.

I checked on the TRDSparks website, and the picture posted is not an accurate representation of the tC Quickshifter for the tC2...

Maybe 1stOne will chime in, as he's got one on his car. Shift feel is definitely improved, and the throw is noticeably shorter. Considering the price, and that the install takes about 20-30 mins, the bang for your buck is awesome.

They should be available soon up here in Canada
It is a great part! Super easy to install and has a massive improvement over stock. Throw is about 35% shorter as well. Well worth the cost and the ease of install.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1stOne
It is a great part! Super easy to install and has a massive improvement over stock. Throw is about 35% shorter as well. Well worth the cost and the ease of install.
Since you have experience with both the TWM and TRD options, which would you recommend? I do realize that there is a rather significant price gap, but any comments would be great since I'm looking to purchase one or the other in the near future.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well now you've put me in a tricky spot haha.

Really, they are both great products and while they both shorten throw, they do it in very different ways.

The TWM is definitely tighter. It replaces about 60% of the factory shifter assembly and relocates the shifter in a more forward position providing a great overall feel. It also includes a lot of new bushings, which help give it the tight feel. Total install time is 1.5 hours (roughly).

The TRD is a cable relocation kit. It does not change the forward position of the shifter, but it shortens the forward-back throw (1st to 2nd for example) by approximately 35%. It takes about 15min to install with basic tools and requires no removal of interior panels (all in engine bay).

It really depends what you want from your shifter. I've had the TRD Shifter since I bought the car and its been great. Really, this part should have been factory! The TWM from my time using it had a phenomenal feel. Very precise and a wicked shifter position. Again, how it should have been from factory. There isn't a bad thing I can say about either really. Just ask yourself, do you want a shorter throw with a low install time or a new shifter position and a tight feel with a longer install time?

Again, can't say anything bad about either, so the choice is really yours!
Old 02-23-2011, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank you for your input. For me, this is my first manual car, so I don't have the best idea on what the ideal 'feel' should be, but I definitely know it can be better than what the stock Scion tC offers. I don't think install time factors into the decision process since either will be used throughout the life of the car making the install time miniscule in comparison. So, a another quick question which will help my decision process (sorry about so many): So both shorten throws by 30~35%, but I'm guessing the TWM changes the feel of the shifts while the TRD 'feel' remains relatively the same with just shorter throws? You use the word 'tight' to describe the shift feel of the TWM, does that imply smoother/easier? Especially since sometimes it's a struggle to change gears especially in the lower gears.

Thanks again!
-Donald
Old 02-23-2011, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^The TRD does improve the feel, but not to the same degree as the TWM did.

Tight for me refers to how crisp and precise each shift feels. It was very accurate and greatly improved. I was impressed.

I really like both though, so for me, it's hard to say which one I would do again. I like the ease of install on the TRD and I like the feel of the TWM. If you could combine the two, you'd have a godly shifter!
Old 02-23-2011, 08:03 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by donsun
Thank you for your input. For me, this is my first manual car, so I don't have the best idea on what the ideal 'feel' should be, but I definitely know it can be better than what the stock Scion tC offers. I don't think install time factors into the decision process since either will be used throughout the life of the car making the install time miniscule in comparison. So, a another quick question which will help my decision process (sorry about so many): So both shorten throws by 30~35%, but I'm guessing the TWM changes the feel of the shifts while the TRD 'feel' remains relatively the same with just shorter throws? You use the word 'tight' to describe the shift feel of the TWM, does that imply smoother/easier? Especially since sometimes it's a struggle to change gears especially in the lower gears.

Thanks again!
-Donald
Hi Donald,

One of the main advantage of our short shifter versus a simple adapter is that we re-engineered the complete shifter shaft instead of simply producing an add-on part. What it means is that all aspects of the shifter are improved, not only the throw.

The precision and position of the short shifter is definitely a big flaw in the 2011 tC. Our short shifter answers this issue with a better fitment than OEM and a corrected shifter position. When the short shifter is installed, the position of the shifter is more natural and the gear engagement flows a lot better, combined with the reduction in throw.

Here is a detailed video explaining what we did on this short shifter to make it so much better than the stock unit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DhFeX-Ea34

And you can view all the details of the short shifter here:

2011+ Scion tC short shifter

Frank
Team TWM Performance
Old 02-23-2011, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^What he said...haha.

Well put and awesome video!
Old 03-20-2011, 07:31 AM

would you guys say a short shifter makes for an easier transition from an automatic to a manual? i just got mine and its my first manual car ive owned. having a hell of a time with the first gear and sometimes miss shifting because the locations of the down shifts seem awkward.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:40 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hurrayforpoopy
would you guys say a short shifter makes for an easier transition from an automatic to a manual? i just got mine and its my first manual car ive owned. having a hell of a time with the first gear and sometimes miss shifting because the locations of the down shifts seem awkward.
I am inclined to say that it would help and I would also HIGHLY recomend the base and cable bushing kits. Simply for the reason that with a short shifter and bushing kit, the gates are much more defined and you get more feedback from the transmission. This lets you feel more where you should be and where the gates are located. Personally I would highly recommend this mod to someone who's having a hard time finding the gates and locations of gears.

Patrick
Team TWM Performance
Old 04-25-2011, 04:41 AM

so anybody have pics of the trd quickshifter? it says it includes a TRD-branded shift ****, is it this one http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...&parts_id=3874 ?
also where is the installation manual?
thanks... im interested in getting this...
the twm performance looks nice but seriously is to complicated to install for me, i think the trd is easier and ok for the moment.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ I'm not sure on the **** since I got the TWM, but here's the manual. http://www.trdsparks.com/install/PTR54-21100inst.pdf

the TWM install is pretty easy, you just need a good method of getting that push nut off...
Old 04-25-2011, 06:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Last I checked this quick shift kit isn't available anymore unless my Toyota is just stupid lol
Old 04-25-2011, 09:16 PM

Thanks donsun for the manual.
is available on trd sparks... is not expensive, and says that includes a trd shift ****... may be ill buy it today and im done with upgrades, i might buy wheel locks and b pillar and thats it for a while...
Old 04-25-2011, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member

I know this may sound illogical, but hopefully someone can clear this up for me.

So from what I get, the TWM shifter is a full replacement inside the cabin.

The TRD one is basically a tightener that you add in the engine bay.

What would happen if you used both?
Old 04-25-2011, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ Funny, that exact same thought crossed my mind just before I saw your post!

Quick Reply: TRD Quickshifter