Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Unichip now available for 2011+ tC

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 12:46 AM
Former Sponsor

red13_69_84… thanks for the post.

You’re pretty much spot on with the thought that what the car makes with one intake is about what it will make with another… assuming we’re talking about having a correct tune for each on the car. The different intake brands effect the calibration differently and try to lean the engine out by “tricking” the ECU… they can/do make different power at different spots in the rpm band when they’re not tuned. That’s why our maps are each intake brand specific.

Once correctly tuned, the “uniqueness” of the different intake brands disappears. The only significant potential difference is whether one doesn’t flow enough air for the engine… in that case, it wouldn’t make as much power even with a good calibration. All of the intakes, however, flow far more air than the engine is asking for so that also becomes a non-issue.

With regard to the dielectric grease, it should be good for years since (1) it’s silicon and (2) everything sits pretty high up next to the hood… unless you spray directly on the connector with high pressure water, there shouldn’t be any issues. If you do need more, it’s available at any auto/electrical parts shop.

For everybody that jumped in over the weekend, thanks! You kept the production guys hopping today; everything should ship by tomorrow.

Cheers
Old 04-23-2013, 03:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for that info and what about the other questions about the different cat backs or the different dyno maps? To me the chip just seems to be following the gains already promissed from the individual aftermarket parts and its not really doing anything extra?
Old 04-23-2013, 04:27 AM
5 Year Member

I ordered mine last week. Should be here tomorrow. Question though. Looking through the database I am only seeing maps in the "Original" folder for CAI. There are not different maps for different octanes that include CAIs. Will those maps be added soon? Also, I run a Descendant CAI. The piping is the same diameter as the Injen CAIs but the Injen has more curves to go around the battery where the Descendant goes over the corner of the battery. How do you think I should adjust my mapping (although there doesn't appear to be many choices for CAIs + different timings/fuel ratios at the moment anyway?)
Old 04-23-2013, 06:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the posts.

Online map library… we’re building and checking the database… it’s a tedious process but should be completed and posted this week. If anybody needs/wants a specific map before it’s posted, shoot me an email and I’ll be happy to send it to you. The stock, drop in filter, TRD, and Injen map families are completed and the K&N, Takeda, and Weapon R are being checked and added to the data base.

Sorry, I tried answering the dyno question. Once correctly calibrated, all the configurations make essentially the same amount of power because engine internal design quickly become the limiting factor… so the dyno sheets all look very similar.

Pretty much all the exhausts flow more air than stock, but the Unichip correctly compensates for that so there’s no map difference between exhaust brands. An exhaust that flows more air makes more power, but it won’t change the calibration. Not the case with intakes.

The posted dyno sheet shows the Unichip gain on top of the intake… a major part of the Unichip power gain is from ignition timing which bolt-on parts don't help…

Cheers
Old 04-23-2013, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok so i will probly be purchasing this kit with the flux system. i have 2 questions 1) does any of the software work with Mac. (iOS) 2) i have a takeda cai and i rear muffler delete what could your tuners do for that? and is there anyway you could extend the free shipping through this week? would help greatly.

Thanks
Old 04-23-2013, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

And are there any tuners in the hapmton roads area in VA that you guys know of?
Old 04-23-2013, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member

Here are a couple of images showing the difference between Injen CAI and Descendant CAI. I would assume less curves in the Descendant would mean more air = leaner mixture. Does that mean I would need to retard the timing a bit compared to an Injen?

Old 04-24-2013, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionIzeMe

Here's a couple pics of the Flux2 systems that are available to purchase thru Unichip. Let me say the UNICHIP is amazing!!! Can definitely feel a difference! The hp and torque gains are great. http://www.unichip.us/system/uploads...2%20tC%202.pdf Here's a link to the dyno sheet so you guys can see first hand on the power increase. As for what BROKEN TUSK is saying. I have no clue how you can lose power to something that has proven and shown first hand to give more hp and torque gains. I am going to be making a video here soon and I will post it up for everyone.
Can you post up more pics? like of the unit, the harness and the way you ran the cables for the display?
Old 04-24-2013, 02:15 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

We've used UNICHIP for years now and haven't ever had an issue. Primarily we use them on the 5.7 V8's from Toyota to tune the Supercharger kits on the Trucks and SUV's that don't have a TRD Flash and they work amazingly well. Personally I've had them in a 226whp N/A 2008 Scion xB without it the car wouldn't even run and in my last 2 Tundra's the most current one having around 630hp (soon to be right at 700hp). The UNICHIP in my opinion is the best low cost option for tuning that is completely reversible and undetectable after you've removed it.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by trdsparks
We've used UNICHIP for years now and haven't ever had an issue. Primarily we use them on the 5.7 V8's from Toyota to tune the Supercharger kits on the Trucks and SUV's that don't have a TRD Flash and they work amazingly well. Personally I've had them in a 226whp N/A 2008 Scion xB without it the car wouldn't even run and in my last 2 Tundra's the most current one having around 630hp (soon to be right at 700hp). The UNICHIP in my opinion is the best low cost option for tuning that is completely reversible and undetectable after you've removed it.
How does that work for warranty work like an oil change or regular scheduled maintenance. Do i need to remove the entire Unichip harness and Unichip before i take it to my local dealer or can i just unplug the Unichip harness and leave it secured in the engine bay? Basically will they care if i have the harness in the engine bay even if its not hooked up? Like in terms of voiding the warranty?
Old 04-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Former Sponsor

KillerXtwo… the warranty question depends on the dealer and how they feel about aftermarket parts. Some of our best customers are dealers so obviously they’re cool with modifications but I’ve also heard from customers about dealers raising a stink when they see any modifications. You have to feel around and see what your dealer thinks.

If they are ok with the mods, you just leave the Unichip connected as it doesn’t interfere with anything the dealer does for routine service… no need to disconnect it. If they’re not ok with mods, pull it completely out so there’s no trace it was ever there.

The closest tuner to Hampton Roads is probably up in MD. With the mods you list in your signature, I think you’ll be really happy with the existing maps in the library.

I can do free shipping through next weekend… just don’t tell anybody else…

Sym_Link… I’ll send a pm about the intakes.

Cheers
Old 04-24-2013, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Unichip_jack
KillerXtwo… the warranty question depends on the dealer and how they feel about aftermarket parts. Some of our best customers are dealers so obviously they’re cool with modifications but I’ve also heard from customers about dealers raising a stink when they see any modifications. You have to feel around and see what your dealer thinks.

If they are ok with the mods, you just leave the Unichip connected as it doesn’t interfere with anything the dealer does for routine service… no need to disconnect it. If they’re not ok with mods, pull it completely out so there’s no trace it was ever there.

The closest tuner to Hampton Roads is probably up in MD. With the mods you list in your signature, I think you’ll be really happy with the existing maps in the library.

I can do free shipping through next weekend… just don’t tell anybody else…

Sym_Link… I’ll send a pm about the intakes.

Cheers
Thanks for the response. And ok i wont tell anyone else haha should see and order apear in the next hour for the full system with Flux2 for a takeada intake and exhaust mod.

another question. Will it come with a 89 octane performance tune for my intake and exhaust plus the 93 octane tune for the intake and exhaust?
Old 04-24-2013, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

how do i get the free shipping?
Old 04-24-2013, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Been tracking my Unichip shipment.
Ordered on Saturday 04/20
Shipped Monday 04/22
Est Delivery??? ===> Monday 04/29

Im very sad. I guess that is what it takes from Oregon to Maryland. . .
Old 04-24-2013, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by VuDism
Been tracking my Unichip shipment.
Ordered on Saturday 04/20
Shipped Monday 04/22
Est Delivery??? ===> Monday 04/29

Im very sad. I guess that is what it takes from Oregon to Maryland. . .
Are you going to do a write up on it once you receive it? Did you order the Flux2 display also?
Old 04-24-2013, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KillerXtwo
Are you going to do a write up on it once you receive it? Did you order the Flux2 display also?
I did not order Flux display. I might do a write up.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by VuDism
I did not order Flux display. I might do a write up.
oh ok. Im gonna order the Flux2 display. I like the live data stream feature. and its a gadget and gadgets are cool haha
Old 04-24-2013, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just talked to Jack on the phone. He was very helpful. Placed my order for the Unichip plus the Flux2 Display and cant wait for it to arrive!
Old 04-24-2013, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just spoke to Jack as well and wow. Great customer service! I bombed him with questions and he still answered each one of them with great detail.

I'm definetely ordering the chip soon!
Old 04-25-2013, 05:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KillerXtwo
Can you post up more pics? like of the unit, the harness and the way you ran the cables for the display?
I will post some pics for you tomorrow!

Quick Reply: Unichip now available for 2011+ tC