Notices
Scion tC 2G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications

Air Intake - noob question

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 04:39 AM

Default Air Intake - noob question

Hi guys I am new to work on cars.
I just got my Nautical Blue 2012 tC (moved up from 2011 Ford Fiesta) and I have never been happier. Since I just bought it money's short for a full CAI. So question is can I just remove the box filter and slap on a cone filter? and is there anything that I would have to modify to make it work?
Old 05-02-2012, 06:27 AM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

can you do it? yes

would there be a point to it? no...unless you just want the sound (which wouldn't be that loud with that setup)
Old 05-02-2012, 01:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nguyening
Hi guys I am new to work on cars.
I just got my Nautical Blue 2012 tC (moved up from 2011 Ford Fiesta) and I have never been happier. Since I just bought it money's short for a full CAI. So question is can I just remove the box filter and slap on a cone filter? and is there anything that I would have to modify to make it work?
OK, enlighten me.. You just got this nice new car, and you want to ruin it because you cant wait until you have $175 for the proper part?

Why not enjoy the car for a month or two man? I dont get it..... do you NEED to get a CAI right away? Please dont turn into one of those people that needs to shortcut everything, because they think they have to have it right away. Unless you have terminal brain cancer, and dont have but a few days to live - WAIT UNTIL YOU HAVE THE PROPER PART.

Your AFR's will be out of whack, your car could run in limp mode and run like crap, your gas mileage could go down (costing you more money, that apparently you dont have).

Just do it right, or dont do it at all.. pretty simple man.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

CAI's don't work aswell on a stock engine they are what I like to call hot air intakes since most of the time the tubes are made of metal and are right next to the engine which gets hot so the air that's coming in also gets hot. Which reduces power since u want colder air in the which is more oxygen dense. Plus it takes away the ram air effect since the tubing is so much wider reducing air velocity which ur stock engine needs. If it was up to me I would just go with an aftermarket drop in filter which adds a bit of horsepower but atleast it dosent take it way. Hope this helps.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's not easy to do since the MAF sensor is mounted to the air box lid. Trust me it does not work well. I made an adapter to mount our MAF sensor in one of Spectre's universal 3" tubes. I then added a cone filter..It lost a lot of power, sounded good but that's it. I took it all back off the next day, put in a K&N drop in filter in stock air box, and removed the snorkel. It sounds almost as good as the CAI's do, but it keeps the stock bottom end performance and gains a tiny bit of mid to upper rpm range power....according to my highly calibrated butt dyno.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:35 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk