Notices
Scion tC 2G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications

descendant turbo kit questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default descendant turbo kit questions

So i have this kit installed. comes with the stupid AEM F/IC. could i switch it for the AEM EMS and then have the car tuned with that instead? or do i have to run the F/IC? I'm coming across too many issues with tuning the car.

also... what kind of engine oil are people using for boosted TCs? i cant seem to find the oil that was recommended for me.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by exftw
So i have this kit installed. comes with the stupid AEM F/IC. could i switch it for the AEM EMS and then have the car tuned with that instead? or do i have to run the F/IC? I'm coming across too many issues with tuning the car.

also... what kind of engine oil are people using for boosted TCs? i cant seem to find the oil that was recommended for me.
You can tune the car with whatever you want so long as it is effective. emanage, F/IC, or any kind of standalone, the limit is you, your budget and your tuning knowledge.

as for oil, any quality synthetic oil that is the proper weight, Just pick a brand. Everybody and their grandma will tell you Brand A is superior to Brand B and I heard somebody with an EVO that cracked a blow using Brand C oil etc. Just make sure you change it regularly.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
You can tune the car with whatever you want so long as it is effective. emanage, F/IC, or any kind of standalone, the limit is you, your budget and your tuning knowledge.

as for oil, any quality synthetic oil that is the proper weight, Just pick a brand. Everybody and their grandma will tell you Brand A is superior to Brand B and I heard somebody with an EVO that cracked a blow using Brand C oil etc. Just make sure you change it regularly.
my budget is not really an issue if i want the car tuned right, the issue is how unfamiliar i am with the whole AEM software. I'm familiar on how to use and tune cars that are AccessPort applicable, but thats not the case here. Don't even know where to start when it comes to AEM. I was hoping there would be a tuner in my area that could help me out, but the responses Ive gotten is that the company refuses to tune the car because of "issues they have come across in the past". aka its a PITA and they don't wanna do it.
I need my car as a daily driver for the winter season, but im highly hesitant on driving it without having it properly tuned since its running lean. I know that the accessport has base maps for certain mods done to vehicles making it easy to tune, is there something like that for the AEM F/IC?

in terms of oil, what would be the best weight? i was recommended 10w20 or 10w25 when i did the initial install of the turbo, but i cant find any for some reason. what other oil weight could work?
Old 11-21-2013, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm running the FIC tuned by Paul @ Dezod. From what I was told and the research I've done, the FIC is a pain to tune because of the constant battle between the ECU and the FIC. One tries to take control of the other (laymans terms). I have the Dezod AEM EMS2 that I have yet to install (next season).

As far as oil, I used Motul 5W30. Haven't had any issues.
http://www.dezod.com/pd-motul-5l-bot...oil-13-gal.cfm
Old 11-21-2013, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionchicop
I'm running the FIC tuned by Paul @ Dezod. From what I was told and the research I've done, the FIC is a pain to tune because of the constant battle between the ECU and the FIC. One tries to take control of the other (laymans terms). I have the Dezod AEM EMS2 that I have yet to install (next season).

As far as oil, I used Motul 5W30. Haven't had any issues.
http://www.dezod.com/pd-motul-5l-bot...oil-13-gal.cfm
So it would make sense to then get a AEM EMS 2 instead of the FIC then just for purpose of ease? I know that tuners in my area could tune my car if i had the EMS2.

Ill check that oil out and see how it works.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes. Heres the link to the one that I have.

http://www.dezod.com/pd_dezod_motors...m-scion_tc.cfm
Old 11-21-2013, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

sweet thanks... i guess i wont be shopping on black friday
Old 11-21-2013, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No problem. Good luck and be sure to post up dyno sheets when its all done.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a 12 psi map for the descend kit and a tune 10psi. I can email u it. Also I have the front mount intercooler upgrade if u want it I can send u a link to get it.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rydrdg
I have a 12 psi map for the descend kit and a tune 10psi. I can email u it. Also I have the front mount intercooler upgrade if u want it I can send u a link to get it.
The 10 psi map would be nice. My email is emorsey@gmail.com
Old 12-01-2013, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The 10 psi map would be nice. My email is emorsey@gmail.com
Ok will do sending now
Old 12-21-2013, 01:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionchicop
No problem. Good luck and be sure to post up dyno sheets when its all done.
ok so im into installing the the EMS and getting on the dyno but Dezod mentions something about hard wiring the fans to control the fans. Are there any instructions on this? I cannot find the tech notes that they are referring to.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:47 AM

If money isn't a issue then go with the VI-PEC I88. Aem inifinity standalone is very good. But VI-PEC blows its doors off but its not cheap do the research. Im taking off my decendant kit though and going with a custom Borgwarner EFR twin scroll 8374 setup.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

custom manifold too or u gonna reuse the manifold
Old 02-21-2014, 03:28 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

ok so im into installing the the EMS and getting on the dyno but Dezod mentions something about hard wiring the fans to control the fans. Are there any instructions on this? I cannot find the tech notes that they are referring to.
The fans are two wired. Positive and Ground. Positive goes to a switched 12V source and ground can go the AEM on Pin A20 ( LS8 ) and then activated in the software under the outputs and be done.