Notices
Scion tC 2G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications

Intake Questions

Old 07-10-2013, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Intake Questions

Hey guys, quick questions about intakes. I'm thinking about getting an intake, it's between the TRD and Injen CAI/SRI.

I have the TRD strut brace installed. Would I have to remove it to install a CAI or is there enough clearance?

Anyone have either of these intakes and didn't like them? Which would you prefer?

While I'm at it I'll ask the noob question of, for those who have a CAI installed in their TC2, do you really notice a difference in performance or is it just sound? I've read vendor/brand numbers and they boast anywhere between 7-9hp gain, but I've also watched a couple of mythbusting videos as well and read people's general responses which are usually 50/50 and not specific to the TC2.

I know the video isn't the be all end all... but it makes me wonder.

Any insight, suggestions or comments welcome! Thanks!
Old 07-10-2013, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member

I would say go with the Injen CAI. I personally had the AEM Cold Air with the ETI but it gave me (like many other users) problems. I returned mine and got a refund after about 2 months of having it installed. I will be purchasing the Injen one shortly though. The strut bar should not be an issue.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

First off the strut bar shouldn't be an issue. And as for an intake get what you prefer. All it is is metal piping and rubber connectors. Some may claim to gain more power but in reality its the same piping with different stickers on them. You are paying for the name. And yes, it does make a difference that you can feel but depends on what you get. Some CAI are short ram and some are actual CAI that run down into the front bumper and actually pull cold air. The short ram intakes sacrifice a lot of torque that is definitely noticeable. The actual CAI that runs down into the front bumper makes a tremendous difference.

And remember to reset your computer after install and before you first start the car or you will get a check engine light. After resetting the computer let the car idle for 10-15 minutes and then take it out for a casual drive. It's best to get on a highway and keep it at a constant speed for a few more minutes. Hope this helps.